Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-13-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
SparkleParty
waste of space

Masquerade help?

I just have a question concerning masquerades in general. Do ALL pieces of the costume have to be hand made? (Like from materials) or can it be okay to say buy a sweater and add on like patches of blue, like modify a piece of clothing to your needs. What about wearing a pair of jeans with your cosplay? Would I be disqualified for not making a pair of jeans myself...?? Please help!

Unread 07-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Depends on your skill division (a novice would be allowed to buy gloves, for example, but a master would be expected to have made them). But as a rule of thumb, at least 50% of it should have been made by you. If you're mostly modifying clothes, ask the masquerade director of the con if it counts as "made" or not (chances are it'll depend on how much you've changed things up).
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 07:54 PM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

As general as this question sounds, it's actually not a general thing. There's no "all cons say this" answer to this question. You will literally have to ask the con you are entering in what their rules are. Cons usually have their rules posted for this on their site somewhere. Where Shinobi just told you the "general rule" is 505 made for the novice, I have never seen that before..I've seen no less than 65% at one con, and all the others were no less than 75% for novice..So that's not a general rule because not all cons will have the same requirements
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2014, 08:30 PM   #4
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

This question should really be in the Masquerade subforum.

However, each con has different rules. Most cons just require that at least a certain percentage of the costume is made yourself for the workmanship/craftsmanship judging. Judges don't expect you to be able to make everything, especially if you're in a beginner or novice class.

However, if you perform a skit, you do not have to make any part of the costume yourself. You'll be judged on performance skill rather than creating skill.

Check the con's site for their rules and/or email the people in charge of the masquerade just to make sure that your costume is fine. Send pictures and tell them exactly what you're doing. If the answer is no, it's better to hear that before the con than get embarrassed in front of everyone in the green room.

Currently working on:
Momoko Koigakubo -- Ghost Stories (Dub)
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses