Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:09 PM   #1
TitanSlayer000
Eh
 
TitanSlayer000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 577
I think I just found the angriest person ever

So I was on tumblr and I found a picture of a white woman (someone said it was the voice actor of Korra) dressed as Korra. Someone had reblogged it and wrote about how racist it was and how white people shouldn't cosplay. I go to her blog and she has a lot more posts about it. She also thinks that white people are all racist and all men are misogynists and deserve to be beaten up, especially if they hold doors open for people behind them. Then, they should be kicked hard enough to lose the ability to have kids. She claims that all women are victims of the patriarchy. Also, she thinks that gifs should be banned from the internet because people with epilepsy could get a seizure. And finally, she thinks males shouldn't be allowed into movie theaters no matter what. Especially kids movies.

My main point is the Korra thing though. It seems like Korra cosplayers are attacked the most. Isn't that weird? I mean, I've never seen anyone get called out on cosplaying as Katara. And she's pretty much from the same series.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:14 PM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 13,130
That shit is why I avoid tumblr entirely.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:17 PM   #3
TitanSlayer000
Eh
 
TitanSlayer000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
That shit is why I avoid tumblr entirely.
I really want to stop going on tumblr because of that stuff but there's so many adorable pictures of bunnies and puppies and hamsters that I just can't seem to leave
It's my weakness
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos
 
JasonTerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,204
I take it you haven't been to 4chan? This is nothing compared to how they are there..I think I've posted about this one or 2 other times, but I was on there and they were all talking mass shit about cosplayers, and they replied to my post telling me that they basically say the things they say because they want people to kill themselves, and that they think it's funny when they get someone committing suicide over their cyber bullying..They take pride in knowing they were the cause of someones death..The people that post things like the person you mention, need to be locked away never to see the light of day again
__________________
こんにちは、私の名前はジェイミーです
バイバイ、人形!!
Cosplay DA Regular DA
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
TitanSlayer000
Eh
 
TitanSlayer000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
I take it you haven't been to 4chan?
I have, but only very little. It's a terrifying place. I saw one post about how good Tuxedo Mask cosplayers don't exist and all of them are shit. They also complained that most cospalyers had terribly fitting costumes and we all need to "find a good tailor". That was the first one I read related to cosplay. I decided to never go back after that.
I've seen much worse on 4chan but nothing relevant to cosplay. The worst I've seen is mostly MLP related stuff.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos
 
JasonTerror's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSlayer000 View Post
I have, but only very little. It's a terrifying place. I saw one post about how good Tuxedo Mask cosplayers don't exist and all of them are shit. They also complained that most cospalyers had terribly fitting costumes and we all need to "find a good tailor". That was the first one I read related to cosplay. I decided to never go back after that.
I've seen much worse on 4chan but nothing relevant to cosplay. The worst I've seen is mostly MLP related stuff.
Yea, they were talking shit about me personally, so....I thought I'd step in..Bad idea..Either way, they were saying how horrible I looked in cosplay..Telling me I should never cosplay blah blah blah..When not a single one of them would tell me they were cosplayers themselves..So they were talking shit about a community they never even took part in..As if they know MORE about it than the actual members of the community..

This is very big on tumblr though too, but not nearly as bad..

I'll quote what another member posted to just prove how stupid most of the tumblr comunity can be:
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiCosplay View Post
This right here. Like i just can't stand them making those dumb memes and they did nothing wrong. Just to get a few laughs har-har.
Clicking on the word "here" in the quote, is the link
__________________
こんにちは、私の名前はジェイミーです
バイバイ、人形!!
Cosplay DA Regular DA
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:45 PM   #7
TitanSlayer000
Eh
 
TitanSlayer000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
When not a single one of them would tell me they were cosplayers themselves..So they were talking shit about a community they never even took part in..As if they know MORE about it than the actual members of the community..
I've noticed that, I've never actually seen a cosplayer make any of those comments. (Aside from someone who bought a kimono and said it was a cosplay) It's always people that haven't tried before.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-14-2014, 08:56 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal
 
belligerent's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
I think I just found the angriest person ever
no you met me a while ago

Like, do yourself a massive favor and when you see people like this who talk shit about people (this is different than opening discourse on problematic issues, btw), ignore them. That takes away their power.
__________________
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 10:34 AM   #9
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
That shit is why I avoid tumblr entirely.
It's not even that hard to avoid ON tumblr, it's completely the minority, the crazies I mean.

Belligerent- IDK man I might have you beat
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #10
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
It's not even that hard to avoid ON tumblr, it's completely the minority, the crazies I mean.
THISSSSS.

I enjoy good social commentary (I think maybe you need to step back and breathe because some of the things you're railing against sound like they could be legitimate points and/or someone saying something from a point of frustration and anger. Our whole society is a victim of patriarchy, men included. I used to think this was bullshit and I used to be the person on the other side of the argument - but then I read a lot of things and experienced a lot of things that changed my mind and I think it is truly for the better. Yes, now I feel uncomfortable about the blatant racism in Lord of the Rings and stuff, but I would rather be aware than live in ignorance. I can still enjoy those things even if I'm aware of the problems in them and by being aware I can push for things or seek out things that try their best not to be ridiculously racist or sexist. It's pretty cool, yah) but my dashboard is still mostly like Game of Thones gifsets, cat gifsets, video game gifsets, gifsets of whatever people I follow are watching (LoK, Hannibal, SnK, et cetera).

Also I encountered /b/ at a young age seriously this is nothing and getting angry at things on the internet that are not actually hurting anyone is a waste of your time.
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #11
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
THISSSSS.

I enjoy good social commentary (I think maybe you need to step back and breathe because some of the things you're railing against sound like they could be legitimate points and/or someone saying something from a point of frustration and anger. Our whole society is a victim of patriarchy, men included. I used to think this was bullshit and I used to be the person on the other side of the argument - but then I read a lot of things and experienced a lot of things that changed my mind and I think it is truly for the better. Yes, now I feel uncomfortable about the blatant racism in Lord of the Rings and stuff, but I would rather be aware than live in ignorance. I can still enjoy those things even if I'm aware of the problems in them and by being aware I can push for things or seek out things that try their best not to be ridiculously racist or sexist. It's pretty cool, yah) but my dashboard is still mostly like Game of Thones gifsets, cat gifsets, video game gifsets, gifsets of whatever people I follow are watching (LoK, Hannibal, SnK, et cetera).

Also I encountered /b/ at a young age seriously this is nothing and getting angry at things on the internet that are not actually hurting anyone is a waste of your time.
Exactly, you only see what you want to see
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #12
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
I don't even use those thingies where you can even filter out tags and stuff. Saying this in case someone else would like to try them. I think it's like "Tumblr Saviour" and maybe something else, idk. I enjoy seeing all the random weird shit people post so I don't try to filter it out even if I'm some of it is stuff I would never seek out on my own. I've become vaguely interested in things that way - I'm pretty sure half the TV shows I've watched are because Tumblr won't shut up about them and I need to see the trainwreck for myself. I've also found and read books because of Tumblr.

thank u intranet haet masheen, fur givin me tv n books n stuff n also cat gifs ayemen

__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 02:33 PM   #13
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,189
I only tumblr savior stuff I really don't wanna see... which is usually ships that I hate >=I but tumblr savior is indeed an important thing for being will fears and triggers
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 03:34 PM   #14
TitanSlayer000
Eh
 
TitanSlayer000's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 577
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
THISSSSS.

I think maybe you need to step back and breathe because some of the things you're railing against sound like they could be legitimate points and/or someone saying something from a point of frustration and anger. Our whole society is a victim of patriarchy, men included.
I totally agree with that. This person was just taking that statement way too far. Basically saying men shouldn't be allowed in certain places because they're "too scary" and "women can't always defend themselves" (I think that's kid of offensive in itself).

I know you can block tags and stuff on tumblr but avoidance usually doesn't work that well for me. It always keeps popping back up at some point.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2014, 04:44 PM   #15
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
I'm not trying to be a turd, but it's true that some spaces should be only for certain groups of people and it's very true that women can't always defend themselves. I don't know what the context is, but there are many ways it can be true. If a woman is attacked she shouldn't feel like she was implicit in her suffering because she was unable to defend herself "enough". It's also true that men can't always defend themselves - "even" when it comes to being attacked by women and they should not be ashamed of that, either.

I mean this in the nicest way. I know some people can be poorly spoken in how they feel or they can simply be a "work in progress" or at a point where they've learned a little but not "enough". But I think wisdom comes in knowing that we are all always works in progress and all always learning. And also being able to reconsider our own views and to find truths in things that seemed ridiculous to us at first - and knowing when to simply walk away from something and not let it make us angry.

Maybe I don't follow enough people on Tumblr or don't follow the right/wrong people but I rarely see truly "bad" things being said. I know they ARE out there, but I think it might be a matter of getting rid of a "toxic" friend - having to prune out those people who post things that make you uncomfortable (although I do know that sometimes being uncomfortable is a good thing).
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:04 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.