Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #1
RueJericho

How long is too long to wait for a commission?

I'm not sure if this is the right place to put this but i thought it would be worth a shot. A few months ago I ordered a commission from a commissioner. They had all great reviews and ect ect. At first all was great but then it took awhile to get a progress picture. I finally got a progress picture after the deadline they had set came and passed. Which i wasn't too worried about because my con was still 2 months away at the time (and the original deadline i said i would be okay with, they made the deadline sooner) I finally got my progress picture and an apology for not hearing from them. They said they were going to ship it but now it's been a few weeks and I still haven't received the costume and they haven't replied to my email or either of my calls asking if it was shipped yet. Now i'm getting a little worried, the con i'm going to is just 2 weeks away.. They are very nice and had all A+ reviews i'm just not sure what's going on. Not really much i can do, i want to give them a chance since i'm pretty sure the costume is done (due to the picture) Any advice? Should i just try to wait it out?
I don't want to become annoying by trying to call a lot...
I'd also like to add that this is my first ever commission...been a pretty stressful experience! I wasn't expecting it to be!
RueJericho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-31-2013, 05:57 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

If your commissioner is and has always been aware of your deadline, and misses it, that is automatically "too long to wait."

I know it's hard when it's your first commission, and you don't want to come off as demanding, rude, or mean. But a commissioner trying to make an honest living not only will not miss your deadlines, they will make amends if something unforeseen comes up that causes them to be unable to finish your costume, in time or at all.

Unfortunately, if it's been weeks or months, you're probably past any deadlines by which to file with a bank, paypal, etc to get a refund. If your commissioner did not offer you a contract with a set deadline date, with penalties laid out for if he/she misses your deadline or fails to deliver, you really don't have much recourse. All you can do is keep nagging them. Yes, absolutely nag them. Be polite, but be firm. Tell them that you must have the costume in-hand (that means delivered to you) by X date, and if it's not, you will be asking for a refund in full. Save threats of legal action for if the commissioner continues to ignore your correspondence, don't start right off with that, and don't get internet-stalkery on them. While it seems like the polite thing to give the benefit of the doubt, that's how people get scammed. Too much trust and politeness is how failed commissioners end up screwing over numbers of people.

In the future, definitely ask for a contract that lays out your actual deadlines, with agreements by both the commissioner and yourself to both complete the costume in full and pay in full by certain dates. Don't let them off the hook if they miss your deadline, don't ever tell them that oh, you can just have it ready by the next con. That will cause poor commissioners to just procrastinate on your project even further. I would also suggest digging deeper in the reviews, since they haven't been updated in a while, in case some of the commissioners with all A+'s have started to get worse grades that just aren't showing in the top post. Third, as a bit of personal advice, I would suggest not letting low prices catch your eye too easily, as a lot of people who undervalue their work for dirt-cheap commission prices are also the ones doing it just as a side thing and not their full-time business. Each commission is less important to them than keeping their school/work schedule. I'm not saying this is true of every commissioner, but it's something to keep in mind when debating who to go with.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #3
RueJericho

Yeah, I definately did my research before hand though I didn't think to look through the newer posts if it hadn't been updated mainly because it's a lot of pages so it seemed a bit scary. I've kept all of my emails, and I do actually have a contract that they wrote out but they have long since passed the deadline which is in the contract. So not really sure what my next step should be.

Now i've searched the Thread and even the most recent were given an A+ and prompt delivery... So i'm not sure what has happened with mine :/

Last edited by RueJericho : 09-01-2013 at 07:50 PM.
RueJericho is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2013, 07:17 PM   #4
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

Definitely keep nagging them, then. If they've violated their contract with you and then refuse to answer your emails, that's never a good sign. But just in case they didn't realize they missed an order, or swear they mailed it and never did, or something else random came up, start by just continuing to try to get in touch. Make sure your emails are clear and concise, polite but firm. Tell them what you're expecting, quote or attach the contract, and give them a precise date by which you expect an answer.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #5
TaliaRosalie
I am AWESOME OTTER.

I know how you feel. I keep trying to get a hold of the commissioner I'm currently working with, but she won't answer my emails or phone calls. She's gotten stellar reviews on this website, so I don't think she's a con artist. But it worries me, because I had to extend my deadline due to lack of funds, which is today. And she hasn't gotten back to me about the costume, with pictures. We've been in touch, up until about a week ago. It concerns me, because she stated that she had attached a picture of the costume, but it wasn't there... And this happened before, with the contract. With emails messing up and such. I'm not sure what to do, since there's a four day long period after the deadline to pay. But I feel as though I shouldn't pay until she gets back to me.

What should I do?
Red Mage - FF Tactics Advance/A2
Porom - FFIV
Jinx - LoL
WoCA Evening Gown - Christa Renz - SnK
WoCA Red Jacket, Blue Jacket - Christa Renz - SnK
Christmas Hungary - APH
Christmas Christa Renz - SnK

Upcoming Cons & Cosplays:
Holiday Matsuri 2014 - X-Mas Hungary; WoCA: Christa Renz - Red Jacket, Blue Jacket, Evening Gown; X-Mas Christa Renz
MegaCon 2015 - TBA
MetroCon 2015 - TBA
TaliaRosalie is online now   Reply With Quote