Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #16
ambientvoid

Im glad I found this thread, it makes me feel better about my planned outfit for next year. Iv liked steampunk and cyberpunk pretty much equally ever since I discovered them and iv always considered them to be different eras in the same alternative history so I want to make an outfit incorporating both. I cant guarantee it'll work out perfectly but hopefully I wont be stoned for trying to blend neons and steam valves... ^^
ambientvoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2011, 10:10 PM   #17
Atton_Wonder

Most of the steampunk I've seen had a very wild-west feel to it. Lot's of shades of brown and so on. Working-class garb sort of stuff. I suppose we have a lot of influence from wild-west, swash-buckling, "I'm the hero of this story! I DON'T LISTEN TO YOUR FASHION LAWS, VICTORIAN ERA!!" sort of thing. But, I've have seen, through extenstively difficult googling, the occasional brightly-coloured steampunk cosplay. I think it may also be because it's so much easier to make piratey/wild-westy stuff look steampunk, as opposed to aristocratic clothing. After all, wouldn't it be the engineers and the sailors and cowboys that have all the interesting things happen to them?
Atton_Wonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 09:12 AM   #18
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

I think the brown and working class wild west thing is mostly from movies. From what I've seen of Museum pieces (county, national, and international) the Victorians liked their color. They may only get a new suit of clothes once twice a year, it may be simple cut and made of rough cloth but it was colorfull. Suits rarely where all one color and where only starting to come in shades of black, brown, and blue. Green came from arsenic, indigo from plants (thank you Ms. Pickney), ocher from minerals, madder from plants, Mauve and others from Aniline.
Ororo Monroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:53 PM   #19
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Oooh, this is one of my steampunk peeves, this ridiculous notion that it all must be brown and brass. All you have to do is watch one of the color episodes of The Wild Wild West to know that bright colors can make beautiful steampunk costumes. Here's mine in green and purple: http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2433716/

And another costume of awesome green steampunkery: https://costume.pixi.me/main.php?g2_itemId=52557

Sadly, there are not enough colorful steampunk outfits, definitely not enough if compared to the percentage of bright colors used in the times we're trying to emulate. So please, please go out there and show the world it's okay to move away from the safety of black and brown.

EDIT: Seeing Shine's post... it's almost as if the "brightly colored steampunk" thing were emanating from Archon.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 08:08 PM   #20
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Look at the pics from teslacon there was a rainbow of technicolor steampunks there. I was in green and black all weekend and it was awesome. The midwest is full of bright steam.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #21
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

If you Google "Nerfpunk", you'll find a fun group of bright, neon-colored steampunky cosplayers. I saw one of them at Dragon*Con last year... Nerf/steampunk mashup, very entertaining! It may not be historically accurate, but it put a smile on my face.
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-01-2011, 02:58 PM   #22
Leadmill
Looks good in uniform...

The main colour of my signature steampunk project was bright red. It really looked quite striking among the more muted colours that are quite popular.

Current Cosplay Projects
Nights Watch Brother (Game of Thrones) - 70%
Shy Guy (Mario Warfare) - 90%
Leadmill is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 01:32 PM   #23
Funhouse
icon by riku sora chan

I was told the same thing really, stick with darker colors like browns and stuff.
Now I don't feel bad using blue the next time I want to make a steampunk outfit, haha.

Could be attending Phoenix Comic Con
Aboslutely going to San Diego Comic Con
Maybe Anime Vegas?
Sailor Jupiter, Alice, maybe steampunk?
Funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2012, 04:04 PM   #24
Somethingducky

One if my favorite examples of using color in steampunk type fashion came from a certain corset designer/seamstress here. I've linked her gallery, tons of pictures. Yes, she has lots of the usual earth tone colors but also lots of rich purples, peacock blues, absinth greens, orange and red tones. I think the key is in using the right fabrics and tones, go for heavier velvets and brocades (look through some of the upholstery fabrics) and instead of neon try more of a rich, color saturated jewel tone and carry that throughout your outfit. I've gotten a lot of inspiration looking through this website in particular.
Unread 02-09-2012, 09:35 AM   #25
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

One of these fabric is going to be the main shade of my Victorian Steampunk dress with gold accents and feathers from black, gold green and blue.
http://www.bangkokthaisilk.com/servl...ot-Blue/Detail

To offset the shades in the dress I'm thinking of buying a black wig for it, as I was planning to use my real hair original in a bun but I think the red in my auburn hair might clash.

Unplugged Expo
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North (Nehelenia), Otakuthon(maybe), FanEXPO
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 02-10-2012 at 11:14 AM.
Ani_BEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-09-2012, 12:36 PM   #26
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
One of these fabric is going to be the main shade of my Victorian Steampunk dress with gold accents and feathers from black, gold green and blue.

To offset the shades int he dress I'm thinking of buying a black wig for it, as I was planning to use my real hair original in a bun but i think the red in my auburn hair might clash.
I like the first for two reasons. 1) I like blue. 2) I could see it with auburn hair or even black inserts and auburn hair. (alot of Victorian hairstyles used hair pieces)
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:18 PM   #27
novaraven1

I think the main reason people are using the safe brown palette is because they don't want to put so much work into their sewing or actually try to afford commissioned victorian styled pieces. It's just far easier and cheaper to go to the thrift store, buy something brown, and add gears to it. Stick some goggles on your head and suddenly you're part of a mercenary air ship crew with your own interesting back story to justify your costume pieces.

To me this is the essence of hallcosplay. Being a fan of a genre and wanting to join in with the other fans and get out there and have fun. You show what you like by what you choose to wear. It's an entirely valid reason for making yourself a steampunk outfit so you can fit in and many people do feel they have to play it safe and take the plainer route, especially when they are first starting out.

And then there are costumers who are in it for the challenge and the fashion and the hobby of making the actual outfits themselves. And we look at the boring brown thrift store hallcosplays and just have to sigh and shake our heads because to us it's not victorian, it's not even really steampunk, it's just steampunk fandom, like someone wearing a homestuck t-shirt instead of painting themselves all the way gray.

I'm not sure there really is a way to convince the fandom hallcosplay for fun types to get into colour. I think it's flawed media perception at this point and how the brown palette is outnumbering the brighter coloured outfits simply because the unskilled masses outnumber those with original and better researched/funded/skilled ideas. The more you see brown outfits on a google search the more that becomes what steampunk is to the ordinary person. It definitely seems like a loosing battle and eventually the more historically accurate and brightly coloured ones will be the ones who are 'doing it wrong'.

Last edited by novaraven1 : 04-25-2012 at 06:22 PM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2012, 02:41 PM   #28
vortex

Actually, I think the reason people always imagine Victorians in brown is because photos from that era were all in sepia. When you look at a Victorian picture you see everyone in brown weather they were in blue, green or red. It's a common misconception.

It's like the Frankenstein monster. The mask in the first movie was actually of a fleshy color but there was a green filter on this part of the black and white movie so people thought it was green and we still see it green today.

I find what Lightning Baron says about the difference between steampunk looks in the US and Canada very interesting. I never realized that but I think it's true. Around here, (Montreal and Ottawa in eastern Canada) a great number of steampunks are of the aristocratic style. We do have our wild west people but they are less frequent. The one time I saw many (and it was not over 25%) was actually in Toronto, a bit further to the south.

And that makes perfect sense. The west is an important part of American history and folklore. While at that time, Canada was much more attached to England so we associate it with the aristocratic British style.

I would be curious to know how those tendencies are represented in the Canadian west, especially in the prairies.
vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-16-2012, 07:43 PM   #29
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

If you go off old pictures etc. Then wouldn't many steampunk costumes be black? Queen Victoria did make morning fashionable after all. But I guess I see things that why because I come at Steampunk from a historical background...
Unread 05-20-2012, 12:03 PM   #30
AmmieBug

I have recently gotten into steampunk fashion, and have been putting together a steampunk version of a mad hatter. Burgandy and gold are the main colours along with rose and some light brown. Browns are ok as long as its not the main colour in my opinoin.
AmmieBug is offline   Reply With Quote