Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-01-2012, 07:32 PM   #46
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ororo Monroe View Post
Here is twist on the original subject...how often do you see patterned material in steampunk? The more complex the better and how about plaid? I know Victoria made plaid fashionable before she made black fashionable. And Victorias were mad for patterns just as much as color. Around the time of the American Civil War, just after I think they introduced a new look, Polka Dots.
I love using plaids and stripes for steampunk designs. One I've been working on for a friend is a really vibrant red with a satin shadow stripe and it looks pretty awesome. The corset is edged in black and the bustle is lined in a nice gray. I wanted to have some colors on there, but the red to stand out, so I went with neutrals to match it. She wore what I had complete at A-kon, not as a steampunk costume, but threw on the fishnets and some knee high, lacing heeled boots and it looked very showgirl, so I keep calling it her steampunk Moulin Rouge costume.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-08-2012, 04:18 PM   #47
kimonocrazy

I think bright colors in steampunk would be good because it would add character to your cosplay. I myself am using a red/orange jacket in my cosplay which is going to be a composer. I'm still trying to figure out stuff, but all in all I think bright colors would fine to use. I mean they had oriental brocades for their vests and what not, so bright colors should be fine.
kimonocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:41 PM   #48
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Apparently the "steampunk = brown" misconception may come from the fact that images from the Victorian era are often sepia toned. They didn't really do color images back then. I find that even images of Queen Victoria don't show her wearing very bright colors.

However, wearing "exotic" fabrics from the east, like sari fabrics, Chinese silk, etc was very elite and fashionable. Those both had very bright, beautiful colors.

Just my 0.02

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 06:50 PM   #49
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

My wife is working on initial designs for a Steampunk geisha that will have a lot of bright red in it, and probably some turquoise or green.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 08:18 PM   #50
Falclon

I've been wanting to make my first steampunk outfit for a while, and I already planned out the outfit, just need to save up money. What are y'all's opinions on peacock feathers in steampunk? It would fit with the exotic fashion you pointed out dizzy.
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:25 PM   #51
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I LOVE the idea of peacock feathers used in steampunk. They look great with Victorian style clothing (I made a mask for a masquerade ball to go with a Victorian outfit with peacock feathers) and the colors are rich and give you lots of options.
Unread 08-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #52
Celiaskyleaf
Skyleaf Creations

Steampink Hope

Hi all I just wanted to share this photo of my bright Steampunk "Steampink Hope" that I made for a special event

Anime North 2013
Friday: Me: Undertaker, Wonderland Version-Black Butler, Leslie: Lizzy, Black Butler
Saturday: Me: Farfarello (Straight Jacket)- Weiss Kreuz, Leslie: Neu - Weiss Kreuz
Sunday : Me: C.C.,Past Life Dress - Code Geass, Leslie: Nunnally - Pink Ball Gown - Code Geass
Celiaskyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #53
Falclon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mehdia View Post
I LOVE the idea of peacock feathers used in steampunk. They look great with Victorian style clothing (I made a mask for a masquerade ball to go with a Victorian outfit with peacock feathers) and the colors are rich and give you lots of options.
Glad to hear. Now I just have to find ones that will work for what I'm planning. I can already tell my bank account is going to hate this.
Unread 08-28-2012, 08:34 PM   #54
threestories

I didn't realize colors were somewhat verboten in Steampunk design! I just thought a lot of people liked brown and beige I'm new to designing Steampunk outfits and am debuting my first attempt at Dragon*Con this Friday... it's bright cherry red with some black accents, and my hat has a peacock feather. Oops! I guess ignorance was bliss, in my case?
Mother Superior (Once Upon a Time)

DragonCon 2014:
Femme!Riddler (DC Comics, original design)
Xena (Xena: Warrior Princess)
Mystique (X-Men Comics)
New Caprica Three/D'Anna Biers (Battlestar Galactica)

Last edited by threestories : 08-28-2012 at 08:36 PM.
threestories is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2012, 09:39 PM   #55
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I prefer that people mix bright colors into their steampunk costumes if it suits the style. Of course you wouldn't want something vivid and overly colored if they aren't supposed to stand out, but if you can work colors into the design, I say go for it!
Unread 09-13-2012, 01:51 PM   #56
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by threestories View Post
I didn't realize colors were somewhat verboten in Steampunk design! I just thought a lot of people liked brown and beige I'm new to designing Steampunk outfits and am debuting my first attempt at Dragon*Con this Friday... it's bright cherry red with some black accents, and my hat has a peacock feather. Oops! I guess ignorance was bliss, in my case?
Did you see the SP Barbie at Dragoncon?
Unread 09-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #57
Celiaskyleaf
Skyleaf Creations

Quote:
Did you see the SP Barbie at Dragoncon?
Some one did a Steampunk Barbie now that is something I would love to see a pic of

Anime North 2013
Friday: Me: Undertaker, Wonderland Version-Black Butler, Leslie: Lizzy, Black Butler
Saturday: Me: Farfarello (Straight Jacket)- Weiss Kreuz, Leslie: Neu - Weiss Kreuz
Sunday : Me: C.C.,Past Life Dress - Code Geass, Leslie: Nunnally - Pink Ball Gown - Code Geass
Celiaskyleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 03:16 PM   #58
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celiaskyleaf View Post
Some one did a Steampunk Barbie now that is something I would love to see a pic of
It was on Better Mornings Atlanta. You can find a picture of it on Yaya Han's Facebook page.
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:17 AM   #59
Ororo Monroe
Head Goddess In Charge

What I hate is someone wearing there corset on the outside and calling it Steampunk.
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:40 PM   #60
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
What I hate is someone wearing there corset on the outside and calling it Steampunk.
While I do use corsets at times on the outside for steampunk, I do hate when someone just throws one on and says they are now steampunk. It's sort of become the same thing as the goggles and gears. It's so cliche that it's almost completely avoided now.