Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 11-13-2011, 11:00 PM   #1
ItchyNoodle

Homestuck troll makeup help please?

So, eventually I want to cosplay Nepeta from Homestuck.
http://images.wikia.com/mspaintadven...epetanohat.png

However, I'm having major troubles on what makeup I need to be using for her skin.
I've been seeing a lot of people talking about Ben Nye Creme Color Liners or something like that. But, I'm not really sure what I should be buying exactly.

I'm confused as of what types of Ben Nye makeup I should be mixing to create the Troll skin color, what i need to set it and make sure it doesn't rub off...etc. I'm low on money and I'd prefer if Ben Nye or any other brand of makeup I could use was available in stores.
I've tried searching youtube but there isn't really anything :/

I like if someone would help me.
thank you~
ItchyNoodle is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-14-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Here's Hanyaan's write up and video of doing her Gamzee makeup. Hopefully it will give you some more ideas. If you don't want the mess, try a water based makeup instead, like Aquacolors. Other than that, hopefully some one else knows more...
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post
Here's Hanyaan's write up and video of doing her Gamzee makeup. Hopefully it will give you some more ideas. If you don't want the mess, try a water based makeup instead, like Aquacolors. Other than that, hopefully some one else knows more...
If your going to be mixing colors, Aquacolor (Kryolan) is GREAT, just keep in mind you may have a few issues adding details BECAUSE they mix so easily. (personally I'd go for Aquacolor for the base then Wolfe for detail, but that's just me)

If you want a makeup that WILL NOT rub off come hell or high water but is easy to remove check out Michael Davey (I think the product is called "Duracolor") keep in mind it's EXPENSIVE (but worth it) and is Alcohol Activated.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 01:37 PM   #4
ItchyNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSY-chan View Post

That tutorial is actually very helpful!
What I'm concerned about is whether or not Ben Nye's products are available in stores.
Even though I don't have most of what she listed so I will have to spend some money, I'm sure I'll manage. Also, is the Monistat Soothing Care Anti-Chafe Powder Gel the foundation primer? I'm asking because I'm not very familiar with the product at all.
Thank you~
Unread 11-14-2011, 03:21 PM   #5
Slum Drunk
The Slum Drunk

Do you have a costume shop in your area? Someplace that sells to theaters and or actors? If you do, you're in luck. That's the best sort of place to buy offline.

Maria: SIlent HIll 2 - CONvergence - 2012
Slum Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:11 PM   #6
ItchyNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slum Drunk View Post
Do you have a costume shop in your area? Someplace that sells to theaters and or actors? If you do, you're in luck. That's the best sort of place to buy offline.
Unfortunately, I don't think so. I live in a small town called Somerset in Massachusetts and the only costume shops around here are around Halloween time. And I know for a fact that they're all closed now ; u ;. However, Boston is an hour away but I'm not sure if there are any stores like that around there.
Unread 11-14-2011, 04:22 PM   #7
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Yes it's the foundation primer. Another cosplayer recommends this foundation in Ghost Grey. I don't think much if any of these types of products are available outside of theater stores or someplace like Ricky's NYC. Are you willing to order online?
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
fin fish
charleston dandy

If you are okay with ordering online, Ben Nye has a creme makeup in a color called Cadaver Grey that I used for Kanaya. It looked pretty good and meant I didn't have to buy more makeup in order to mix two colors. I was able to order that, powder, sealant, and good black lipstick all from the same store. I think it ended up around $40 total.
Unread 11-14-2011, 06:16 PM   #9
Ehekatl

I've seen the cadaver grey in costume shops like Cappels, too. The mixing isn't so bad, either, but it's a lot cheaper to get the cadaver grey.
Ehekatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-14-2011, 08:17 PM   #10
ItchyNoodle

Quote:
Originally Posted by fin fish View Post
If you are okay with ordering online, Ben Nye has a creme makeup in a color called Cadaver Grey that I used for Kanaya. It looked pretty good and meant I didn't have to buy more makeup in order to mix two colors. I was able to order that, powder, sealant, and good black lipstick all from the same store. I think it ended up around $40 total.
Do you possibly have any pictures? I checked a sample website and it does look pretty good...
I just feel antsy about how things look like before I buy them;;
Unread 11-14-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
fin fish
charleston dandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItchyNoodle View Post
Do you possibly have any pictures? I checked a sample website and it does look pretty good...
I just feel antsy about how things look like before I buy them;;
Yep, right here! (Also this is the site I bought it all from.)
Unread 11-15-2011, 01:40 PM   #12
ItchyNoodle

Quote:
Yep, right here! (Also this is the site I bought it all from.)
Wow thanks!
One last question...I'm sorry.. xD;;
Did you just apply it right away or did you need to soften it up first like in the tutorial PSY-chan linked to? But that's probably only if you're mixing it...Fuuuuuuu.
Edit: Oh and also (sorry once again) is it the Ben Nye Color Cake Foundation or the Ben Nye Creme Foundation fkdlsjfaslfkj and what sealant and powder did you purchase from the website?

Last edited by ItchyNoodle : 11-15-2011 at 01:44 PM.
Unread 11-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
fin fish
charleston dandy

Yeah, I think it's just for mixing, because I didn't do anything to mine. It's the creme one, sealant is Final Seal spray, and the powder was neutral set translucent powder. All Ben Nye!
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #14
Rainbowgasm
fruity goodness!

why couldn't people have responded like this when I asked about grey skin for Debitto and Jasdero? XP
This helps a lot!
Battler Ushiromiya from Umineko no Naku Koro Ni
Rainbowgasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2011, 06:31 PM   #15
ItchyNoodle

Quote:
Yeah, I think it's just for mixing, because I didn't do anything to mine. It's the creme one, sealant is Final Seal spray, and the powder was neutral set translucent powder. All Ben Nye!
Thank you so much for helping me! As well as everybody else. <3