Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 07-13-2015, 08:19 PM   #1
whocareswhynot

Neck piece. Best material?

What's the best material I could use to make this neck piece?

Thanks in advance!
whocareswhynot is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-19-2015, 12:02 PM   #2
BeanBunny

I might make it out of craft foam, seal the beejeebus out of it with modpodge/mabye plastidip, then use the shiniest, chromiest spray paint Lowes will sell you.

You could weather it by buying some chrome spray paint a shade darker, spraying it into a rag, blotting it on the piece, and then wiping it off.

And please visit my YouTube channel for cosplay vlogs and cosplay makeup advice!

ATTENTION NINTENDO COSPLAYERS: Don't forget about the Nintendo photoshoot at DragonCon! Any series welcome!
BeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2015, 12:03 PM   #3
BeanBunny

They miiiiiiight make cloth that reflective, but I'm not sure it will stand up the way craft foam will.

And please visit my YouTube channel for cosplay vlogs and cosplay makeup advice!

ATTENTION NINTENDO COSPLAYERS: Don't forget about the Nintendo photoshoot at DragonCon! Any series welcome!
BeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2015, 03:27 PM   #4
Delve

From the original picture it looks like it was made of metal. There is pvc fabric that is just as metalic that you will need to reinforce with fabric foam that is like 1cm thick plus additional reinforcements along the top to keep it up and not wobble all over the place. Possibly wire over the black edges. Good luck.

Anime California & PMX 2015
RWBY
Black Lagoon

Anime North 2016:
Pokemon
Wolf's Rain

Anime Expo 2016:
Dmmd
KH3
Vocaloid
Gate

CLCG: Online California Local Cosplay Group
Delve is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
verdatum
Extremely registered user

I think this outfit is made from metallic fabric made from either PVC (vinyl) or Polyurethane (PU). I think in this case, it's PU. But, Lots of venders mix the two up; so just find something that works right. You may need to buy online. I've had massive aggravations trying to buy either, even in extremely well stocked fabric stores.

You can stick it to either to pieces of EVA foam using spray-glue. you can get the outlined look by topstitching the fabric with black ribbon/lace. Do this by hand with a leather needle.

The radial stitching holds the pieces together. There's probably a 4th radial sewing line at the base that is completely covered by the hair.

This is the sort of thing that you might want to mock-up first using card-stock.