Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 09-14-2010, 11:31 AM   #1
catfetus

Covering/smoothing cardboard edges?

I am working on making some helmets, they're still a bit away from completion. They have these side pieces that are made of cardboard covered in craft foam. They look very clean except for the edges where you can see the cardboard sticking through:
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-..._2270759_n.jpg

What should I use to smoothly cover these sides? They aren't perfectly straight (some of them are diagonal and all that due to slight differences in piece sizes), but all I care about is covering the nasty cardboard looking edges, I don't think the slight angles will be noticeable as long as I use a thin material.

I was thinking about just using strips of paper and sealing them over with modge podge.
But is there a better material you would recommend? I was wondering if some kind of non-bake clay would be good. Or if there is something I could paint on there that will cover them and look smooth.
I was considering using bondo for the edges but that sounds like it would be unnecessarily complicated and I want to keep the side pieces as light as possible.

Thanks!
catfetus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-14-2010, 11:45 AM   #2
han-pan

I use air dry clay a lot because I use a lot of bases that should never be baked. I think it would work, but I have no idea how it would react with the cardboard and the craft foam. It would be worth testing on scraps to see if air dry clay would work, or paper clay. Also maybe consider doing a sort of fabric-paper-mache?

Guess what, Japanime costume players....
YOU'RE NOT THE ENTIRETY OF THE COSPLAY WORLD.
Stop being so closeminded. Just because someone cosplays doesn't mean they're an otaku or a weeaboo.

In Progress: Super Sailor Moon, Sailor Moon
han-pan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2010, 12:32 PM   #3
Xaevier

Paper mache or just some wood glue that you would sand down should work just fine and if you paper mache the entire helmet you would give it additional strength
Poe (Legend of Zelda) - Completed (AnimeNext 2013)
Xaevier is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
SachielZERO

My advice is to use super glue. You can buy the stuff that dries in seconds, so there's no drips. It's also sandable and you can paint right over it. It doesn't crack as easy as wood-filler and paper mache either. I use it for all my cardboard edges. It can get expensive though if you need quite a bit of it. Liquid Nails also has two products they claim is sandable and paintable. The Liquid Nails Furniture & Woodworking Adhesive and the Liquid Nails Small Project Repair Adhesive. I haven't tried either, but I will for this year's costumes. Let me know how they work if you want to take the chance before I start costume making for the year.

Last edited by SachielZERO : 10-02-2010 at 05:56 PM.
SachielZERO is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2013, 01:54 AM   #5
Jlex83

Im new to the cosplaying scene,and i too had a similar issue,i used not glue this connect the pieces of card board,and then taped the edges with paintable tape,and to add extra strength,i put hot glue down and then laid the tape on top of it. As soon as i figure this website out,ill post a pic or two of the steps. I hope that helps. I too am looking for a sturdier way still,so I'm open for suggestions. Go easy on me,its my first cosplay,and i had no help..lol
Jlex83 is offline   Reply With Quote