Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 11-20-2011, 12:31 AM   #1
Furilas
Exploitable Text Field

TRON Legacy: Rinzler's plating - over or under fabric?

This year's project is a Rinzler outfit, since he seems a bit under-represented among TRON cosplayers. One of the issues is that I can't conclusively decide whether his armour plating is over or under the fabric of his suit. So far I'm leaning towards "under", and so my plan is to make the plates out of glue-hardened craft foam, stick them all together in a harness, and then wear that under a black zentai. My hope is that the zentai will stretch tight across the plates and give me those clear contours. I know that won't give me the impressed lines, but I figure maybe I could stitch those into the zentai, or press the fabric into grooves in the plating. What results does Coscom think this method would bring?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rinzler.jpg (70.9 KB, 0 views)

Unread 11-23-2011, 12:16 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

It sounds like it will work just about as well as you expect it will. As far as getting the suit to conform to the grooves, you might be able to achieve some of that by lining the grooves in the armor plates with double stick tape.

Make sure all your plates have smooth edges. if you fray the zentai suit on a slightly sharp corner or something, it'll start to deteriorate pretty quickly. Having some Fray-Check on hand for emergencies wouldn't be a bad idea.

Of course, the proper way to make this would be custom mold and cast the thing out of polyurethane or silicone rubber; but that would be a huge pain, and quite costly.
Unread 11-23-2011, 10:40 PM   #3
Furilas
Exploitable Text Field

Thanks for the assurance, and the tape idea. I've got a sample of plate in the works, so I'll see if I can sand the edges on it down to prevent cutting the suit.

Yeah, I would give a month's pay to whip up some alginate or something and do this the fast way, but that would mean giving up a month's pay. When as much money is coming in thanks to my wacky artistic pursuits as it is going out, it could happen.
Unread 11-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

alginate is fine for lifecasting, but you'd want to use plaster to mold this (I use fiber-reinforced polyurethane these days, but that definitely costs). Hydrocal White isnt toooo expensive. The only hard parts are that you often cant buy less than 100 lbs, and you either have to pay ridiculous shipping, or drive across town to find a place that stocks it.
Unread 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #5
Slum Drunk
The Slum Drunk

I've tried to use several materials under a zentai suit-- it did NOT work for me.

Maria: SIlent HIll 2 - CONvergence - 2012
Slum Drunk is offline   Reply With Quote