Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-22-2011, 01:07 PM   #1
KyasarinUriruzu
is a Water Type Nerd

Casual Wig Wearing

Hey there!

So I was thinking about my various wigs that I own and about how much money I've invested in them. Then I thought, why should they only be enjoyed while cosplaying or at a con? Why not just wear one every once and awhile?

Now I know it's probably not very practical as an everyday thing. Wigs can get tangled and dirty the more you wear them out.

But have you ever thought of wearing a neon colored wig out for the day, just because? Have you already done so? Share your stories/thoughts!
KyasarinUriruzu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #2
QueenPegasus

My friend doesn't have any neon coloured wigs but she wears her when having a bad hair day xD
QueenPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:34 PM   #3
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyasarinUriruzu View Post
But have you ever thought of wearing a neon colored wig out for the day, just because? Have you already done so? Share your stories/thoughts!
I dont have any neon colored, though I'm getting a rainbow colored one, does that count?

I currently wear my wolf tail a lot of places just casually, and in the winter when it's cold enough to wear a wig... might be fun, but I'd only do it if I had friends with me, too many haters to go really wierd on my own... Would be interesting to go out in rainbow wig and rainbow horse tail (possibly light gajinka even) and see how many people shout "Hey Rainbow Dash!" lol

Last edited by Neko.Oni : 11-22-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #4
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I think if you have natural enough looking wigs it should be fine, otherwise it might look a bit strange. Like, if I had a whole bunch of realistic, slightly normal colored lace-front wigs, I might decide to "change" my hairstyle every once in a while, but only if the wig could pass as my actual hair.

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #5
Celcia
Revolutionary Girl

I only do it with my natural colored/styled wigs when I'm having a bad hair day. Most of my wigs are too unnatural or too high maintenance to wear casually and I don't like getting weird stares from people.

deviantArt account
Celcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:26 AM   #6
Shimi
Zombie the Hedgehog

I've seen a girl (maybe in her 20's?) wearing a short white wig once when I was working. If I wasn't a cosplayer, I don't think I would have clued in that it was a wig as fast (I asked her about it because it looked so cool). I know that the customer behind her was surprised to find out it wasn't her real hair (he said he thought it was strange that someone her age had white hair). I don't think she was cosplaying, but damn, it looked good! *wants her wig*

As for me, I've worn a black wig out of the house (my excuse was that I was helping my friend with a short movie for school). I managed to trick the kid that bugged me (told I was my cousin). He didn't follow me, so that means it worked!

hi.
Shimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #7
Daqua4ever

I have a long white wig that I use for my Suigintou costume and I wear that out in public sometimes. I'm 19, so sometimes I get questions from people asking if I'm wearing a wig, but most people seem to think it's my real hair (dyed, of course). Of course there's also some people staring, but, for the most part, I get a generally good reaction from people.
Daqua4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2011, 10:35 PM   #8
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I love wearing my Aoi wig here- http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2700682/
So yeah, I'll take it out with me on occasion. Obviously it's not a comfortable thing compared to just your hair, so I'd do it, like, maximum once a month when I'm sick of my unstylable long hair (getting the mass cut off in the spring...). Still, I freaking LOVE the style on me. And the compliments I get on my "awesome colour" are ENDLESS. Several people didn't believe I had a wig on until I flipped it back enough to show them the wefts.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:07 AM   #9
Chariyokio
derrrrrrrrp

i see nothing wrong with wearing my wigs out ~! especially my gumi one normally i would go out in a purple wig or a gray one but its not just my wigs that i wear out i tend to be in some form of cosplay no matter where i go xD be it a simple school uniform or a full out costume~! i find the weird looks fun i remember once though my sis and i were heading to a convention and so we were waiting for the train and my sis was complaining about how weird it is to have purple hair at a trainstation and sudenly someone came to the station with purple hair the exact same color xD
Chariyokio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 08:38 AM   #10
Shimi
Zombie the Hedgehog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daqua4ever View Post
I have a long white wig that I use for my Suigintou costume and I wear that out in public sometimes. I'm 19, so sometimes I get questions from people asking if I'm wearing a wig, but most people seem to think it's my real hair (dyed, of course). Of course there's also some people staring, but, for the most part, I get a generally good reaction from people.
The thing with white wigs in public is that you can be mistaken for old people (especially from behind). Then when they see your face, they either clue in that it's a wig or they get horribly confused!

hi.
Shimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:30 AM   #11
Convulsive
My name is Kan

I wore my old miku wig for babysitting.
Kids love those brightly colored wigs.
And when my F!America and F!Russia wigs get here I'll probably run around in public a bit to see what kind of 'feedback' I get.
Oh! And one time I used my old death the kid wig for a school project (had a hat to cover the stripes).

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #12
Kosuke
AspieDroid Crazebot

I'm not going to lie - I love wearing wigs. But, the key to it is to go with a wig that LOOKS like it could be your natural hair for casual cosplay. That's why (Getting ready for everyone to groan) Hetalia styled wigs are usually best for it. sure, ahonges and such may be un convincing, but I wore my Greece wig (Read split 'Idiot hair' on the top) and people thought I was my natural hair. I'm hoping to get more wigs around Christmas. (Right now my only good casual ones are Taiwan, China, and Greece)
America - Hetalia (Needs new wig)

Retired Cosplays:
Punk!Toadsuke - Supah Nario Bros.
Karin - Naruto

Future Cosplays:
A Crapton Of Hetalia Costumes, See my journal for a full list.
Kosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #13
Kosuke
AspieDroid Crazebot

Of course, not getting a crappy wig is part of of it, too. Look at what fiber it's made of and research or wiki it. Usually you'll get a good wear for your buck if you do that. Or usually if you go custom, they use high quality base wigs.
America - Hetalia (Needs new wig)

Retired Cosplays:
Punk!Toadsuke - Supah Nario Bros.
Karin - Naruto

Future Cosplays:
A Crapton Of Hetalia Costumes, See my journal for a full list.
Kosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
thatgalsagenius
Tsuna's left hand lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosuke View Post
Of course, not getting a crappy wig is part of of it, too. Look at what fiber it's made of and research or wiki it. Usually you'll get a good wear for your buck if you do that. Or usually if you go custom, they use high quality base wigs.
^

Anyways I wear my Tsuna wig, unstyled, pretty often because it looks so realistic. I also wear my black-haired wigs randomly too... my mum jokes "Why don't you just shave your head and where wigs everyday to school?"

I wish I had the guts to wear my pink wig in public though ._.
Cosplay blog: http://tsubameryuucosplay.blogspot.com.au/

Accounts
Deviantart: http://thatgirlsagenius.deviantart.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/#!/thatgirlsgenius
Cosplaylab.com: thatgirlsagenius
lolitafashion.org: thatgirlsagenius2012
thatgalsagenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:23 PM   #15
patriciarakel

I LOVE wearing my wigs out. My hair is such a mess some times (it's waist-length and thick, so it tangles SOOOOO easily), and I love to shake up my appearance every once in a while. I really love wearing my wavy auburn wig because it's really nice, not a lot of shine, and has a lot of wefts, so everyone thinks it's my real hair. I can style it in a bunch of different ways (to date, I've used this same wig for Ariel from Little Mermaid, Anastasia from (you guessed it) Anastasia, and Ginny Weasley from Harry Potter). It's great. I've also worn my long, dark brown wig out before. It's not as high quality, but I still tricked some people into thinking it was my natural hair. My friend used to wear his wigs when he was having a bad hair day. It was pretty normal for him to go to school in a Roxas wig from Kingdom Hearts! So I guess it's all about personal preference. My wigs have never really gotten messed up from wearing them outside of cosplay, and it's always fun to shake it up without actually taking scissors and dye to your real hair.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote