Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-25-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
darknessinzeros

I've worn just about all of my wigs out once in public, even the odd colored ones. People almost always think they're my real hair, like my Zexion, Marluxia, and Ziggy Stardust wigs. The only ones who know otherwise are my friends who know I have short hair. One time I even went into work with my Roxas base wig on and almost everyone thought it was my real hair until I told them it was a wig. I find odd that not many people seemed to notice that a few days earlier that my hair was dark brown and about an inch long, go figure.
darknessinzeros is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM   #17
Neko.Oni
Furry and proud of it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darknessinzeros View Post
...Ziggy Stardust...
David Bowie FTW!!!

I think it would be fun at cons to organize a group (note I said GROUP) of cosplayers in more casual cosplays to go see the sights of the city dressed up wither in costume or in something equally unusual.
Neko.Oni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
MDA
Destiny Productions

I've done it a fair bit, though I usually have to sneak my wis out so that my parents don't see me taking them out xD

Though, my parents don't mind me wearing Roxas, Miguel, and Godai out too much because apparently they're the ones I suit the best. Mom's favourite is tied between Roxas and Articuno though. Dad... I think he likes Agito/Akito because I suit blue xD

Only wigs I refuse to wear out are Rider and Sephiroth. And now Kuja since he arrived today. They're just sooo long! Rider's at my knees, Kuja's to my hips, and Sephiroth's to my waist.

2014 Cons/Events:
Too many events for 2013, to see the full list please visit here: MDA's Schedule

Facebook | deviantART
MDA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 09:45 PM   #19
cosplay_beau

I'm usually more hyper active outside. I most probably wouldn't wana wear one during normal days and have to be adjusting my wig all the time during my regular daily sports. Plus the sweat and all.

Having 1 set of natural hair is troublesome enough to maintain, not to say a second set of synthetic hair. haha
cosplay_beau is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 06:17 PM   #20
Kennykins

Maybe because I'm part of the african american community this doesn't seem really novel to me. I used to wear wigs all the time but they don't fit over my hair anymore T____T

As far as it looking realistic I've noticed that people who don't wear wigs often have trouble telling it from real hair but those who have some exposure would likely know the difference.
Kennykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 04:35 PM   #21
KyasarinUriruzu
is a Water Type Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
And the compliments I get on my "awesome colour" are ENDLESS. Several people didn't believe I had a wig on until I flipped it back enough to show them the wefts.
I have the same experiences when I've gone out in my lavender colored wig. Lots of "cool hair!" and "that's a wig?!"
KyasarinUriruzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 05:53 PM   #22
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I wear out several of my wigs whenever I feel like it. I have a few that look natural (my Lavi wig being one of them) and some that aren't. When I wore my Lavi wig to work one time, my real hair was about the same color, so everyone freaked and thought I had hacked off all my super long hair. I let them believe it for a while. They thought the same thing when I wore a short black one that flipped out. They know I change my hair color a lot, but should know by now I will never cut it off.

The most fun I've had in a wig that wasn't when I was cosplaying was when I wore my bubblegum pink with with black steaks to the movies with my group. I got a lot of crazy looks and some compliments. But I'm used to that because half my hair is bright blue, so even without a wig, I get some people who think I'm just plain nuts.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

I've always wondered if the wiggyness is so obvious to me because I'm a cosplayer. That's what's keeping me from wearing wigs, even natural colored ones, outside of conventions. XD

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:16 PM   #24
CobaltTempest

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehkukikookie View Post
I've always wondered if the wiggyness is so obvious to me because I'm a cosplayer. That's what's keeping me from wearing wigs, even natural colored ones, outside of conventions. XD
I've worn unnaturally colored wigs which are slightly longer than my own hair outside of conventions a few times, and I've had the double treatment, if you will. Those who don't cosplay or seldom do so can't tell that I'm wearing one and think I dyed my hair instead. On the other hand, veteran cosplayers are able to immediately determine that I'm doing so.

My cosplay/photography work
Facebook | tumblr | deviantArt | World Cosplay

Yaoi-Con 2014 - MAYBE

Pacific Media Expo 2014
Kagamine Rin (Christmas) - Hatsune Miku: Project Diva
Kosaka Honoka (僕らは今のなかで) - Love Live! School Idol Project
CobaltTempest is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:22 PM   #25
Caerix
Gamer

I've only got my Riku(Kingdom Hearts) wig, and it needs to be straightened still or else it looks really funny, so nope, no casual wig-wearing for me. But it does sound like alot of fun, especially if you get a big group to do it :3
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #26
Kosuke
AspieDroid Crazebot

The thing is, I managed to trick someone who KNEW what I looked like into thinking my dark red pixie had turned into a black ponytail a la China overnight.
America - Hetalia (Needs new wig)

Retired Cosplays:
Punk!Toadsuke - Supah Nario Bros.
Karin - Naruto

Future Cosplays:
A Crapton Of Hetalia Costumes, See my journal for a full list.
Kosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 07:30 PM   #27
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I've worn both my natural and not natural colors out in public. Longer wigs are a pain in the butt though so I stick with my short ones or ponytailed ones that are easy to manage. The best reactions I got was when I walked around Disneyland for half the day in my light purple wig. I got so many awesome reactions from both kids and adults. I had to take it off by the halfway point in the day though cause it was so dang hot and I was dying.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:00 PM   #28
Kosuke
AspieDroid Crazebot

Huh. I've never had the pain of having my wig causing overheating on my head, but maybe that's because I've never tried wearing a wig to anything like a King's Dominion, mostly because I knew that they would fall off on the rides. (Unless I sprirt gum or fashion taped them on, but I don't want to risk it)

Retired Cosplays:
Karin - Naruto

Future Cosplays:
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:16 PM   #29
tehkukikookie
Uses galaxies as shuriken

Does anyone know of some shops [preferably eBay, I'm familiar with all of the non eBay sites] that has wigs that look natural? :]

Otakon 2012
Red Dress/SMS Klang Klang, Kida, Micro Klan Klang, Aisha Clan Clan, Ms.Fortune

Toki Wartooth
tehkukikookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #30
Kosuke
AspieDroid Crazebot

There's a couple of places on Etsy, a few even do custom styles!

Retired Cosplays:
Karin - Naruto

Future Cosplays: