Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-22-2011, 05:22 PM   #1
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Coat pocket help (kind of hard to figure out)

well i hope im in the right place. but i need to make pockets on a coat i bought off a cosplay seller online. it is my squall leonhard coat. everything looks just fine but the whole cosplay has absolutly NOpockets on it. i know how to add the ones on the sides of the pants thats easy. and maybe one back pants one but this coat is confusing.. it is also made with lining on the inside. so if i can do it from the outside thatd be great. heres what they look like
this is the pocket
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...2006/coat1.jpg
and this is how it looks on the both sides
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1..._2006/coat.jpg

now the pockets are connected to the coat via the silver buttons on the outside of the pocket but i can easily make a magnet go on the fabric to snap the pocket closed but i was thinking taking the pocket flap off first. cuting, or really, SLICING a hole into the fabric but not cutting the lining inside, and making the pocket go inside and hand sewing the material. then sewing the flap back on by attaching the top back to the coat..if anyone understands what im even saying (which i barely do so good luck lol) please let me know if itll work

heres what im planning (sorry for the bad art here)
http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...2006/coat2.jpg
taking off that flap as in the pic, cutting where the red line is, the grey is where the inside of the pocket would be and the blue line on the flap is where id sew it back onto the coat.

might this work?
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #2
Yunalicia
Yevonite

Getting into the lining of a coat is actually VERY easy. Flip the coat inside out and take a look at the two sleeves. 99% of the time there will be a seam on the inside of the arm where it has been top-stitched.

http://www.youtube.com/user/eSewingW...27/gsiSLRKyEZw (You only need to watch the first minute to see what I am talking about)

This access point is how you alter ANY sort of jacket.

I would also look up and practice how to put in a welt pocket. It will be the best way to put in a pocket and not make it look like you put ion a pocket C:

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 12:23 AM   #3
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

well thats a good idea, but i cant sew by machine and id rather not ruing the entire jacket by not knowing how to put that lining back together. i think my way should if im carefull i just wanted to know if MY WAY was good or not. i dont feel i can do it any other way or i will completely destroy it and waste my money
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 11-23-2011, 04:49 PM   #4
Yunalicia
Yevonite

It's a very small opening about 5 inches long just in the sleeve and it's dead obvious if the jacket was sewn correctly. You don't have to take anything apart in the lining to do it either, so I don't understand your fear of not being able to put it back together. You undo a seam, access the area on the inside of the jacket through the small hole in the lining, then sew the seam back up when you are finished. Basic sewing 101. They way you are describing, you are almost guaranteed to ruin the jacket if you try and do everything from the outside.

So your way will work IF you take some advice into account. The idea as you presented it will not.

Planned Cons:
*:AnimeNorth:*:2011:*
<3 Ai-Kon 2o11 <3
Yunalicia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2011, 05:13 PM   #5
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

oh i thought i had to take out a lot of the stitching nevermind lol. but what im trying to get at though is that either way id have to cut a whole that goes through to the outside of the coat anyways. cuz there ISNT one to have a pocket. if i cut the seam in the lining im just going to have more i have to sew up. and either way im still doing the same exact thing. only not being able to see where im cutting..so i dont understand why i need to cut the seam. i mean i know i dont know sewing terms and what things are called when doing them so its going to sound even more confusing..but i dont know how else to say it..the way i see it, whether i cut the seam and make the hole for the pocket from the inside or i cut it from the outside the point is theres still going to be a hole cut in it so theres no reason to cut the seam cuz either way itll look the same
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now:
Unread 11-24-2011, 12:00 AM   #6
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

weeeeelllllllllll....hate to be an ass so im going to say it nicely..i appreciate you giving me advice, and as im 100% certain the way you told me would work (as im sure you have more experience then me like everyone else lol) i do have to report, that i did it the way i presented....and it DID work..even though not only did you imply it may not work, you said flat out it WILL NOT..but alas it did and it looks just fine. in fact once i put the other half of the button snap on it, it wont even be noticable that there was even a pocket inserted lol and also i know you said you think it wont work as it would look like a pocket was PUT ON. i didnt mean i was going to sew it all the way around the outline of the pocket. thatd look stupid lol i only sewed the top of the made pocket to the 2 parts of the opening..

tho i will eventually be re making this once i learn how to sew pleather or anything else for that matter. so this one doesnt NEED to be perfect..oh shit sorry im rambling XP again i actually do appricate your advice though
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)

Dream cosplays for now: