Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Makeup/Eye Contacts Review

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-18-2011, 10:18 AM   #1
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Review: e.l.f. cream eyeliner

Name of Product: e.l.f. cream eyeliner in black

Where Purchased: Target (only Target and KMart carry e.l.f. brand in retail locations, some local drugstores may carry them as well)

Product Description: "Creates smooth lines that are defined and precise. Smudge-proof, budge-proof and water-resistant coverage for all day wear to combat against, sweat, tears and rain! Slanted Eyeliner Brush included!" - from e.l.f. official site

Pros: This is so much better than pencil or liquid liners I've tried before. Pencil always ends up smudging or running after just a couple hours, and I can't even wear liquid; my eye likes to think it's trying to invade and is like "lol NO!". But this stuff is wonderful! First of all, it's only $3 (most e.l.f. cosmetics are $1, but their "higher end" things like their Studio line are $3-6). Not bad if you're new to cream liner or just want to try something out. It goes on extremely smooth and STAYS. There's no clumping or hardening. I wore it to a 5-hour opera last week and I didn't even remember I'd put it on that morning (I'm normally constantly aware of when I've got eyeliner on because I can actually feel it). My eyes aren't bothered by it, and there's nothing to sharpen/break (i.e. pencil). I haven't used the mini brush that comes with it (I actually used e.l.f.'s angled eyeliner brush for that since I feel it gives me more control and I like making dramatic lines), but it's your basic flat, angled brush. All their products are hypoallergenic and not tested on animals, so that's definitely a bonus for me.

Cons: I've found that if you apply it in a thick line on your upper lid, it will rub off a bit if you have a defined crease like I do. It happened this past weekend, but it wasn't noticeable unless I really raised my eyebrows. Under the eye, no problems; upper lid, expect a bit of smudging if you apply it thick.

Overall Rating: 9 (revised due to smudging). I've yet to come across such a great eyeliner (granted, I don't have a whole lot of experience with different brands) for such a low price. I'm really looking forward to trying out the Midnight color next (the Target I got it from only had black in stock at the time).

Last edited by Stormraven24 : 05-29-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Stormraven24 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-23-2011, 01:28 AM   #2
KiddieHeart
Panda lover!

I absolutely love the elf brand cream liner!
I've been using it for a couple of years now and it hasn't ever failed me. Glad you like it!
KiddieHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-02-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
KittyKendra

Thanks for the review, I've been thinking of ordering the same eyeliner, you've convinced me!
KittyKendra is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #4
Damieancolon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormraven24 View Post
Name of Product: e.l.f. cream eyeliner in black

Where Purchased: Target (only Target and KMart carry e.l.f. brand in retail locations, some local drugstores may carry them as well)

Product Description: "Creates smooth lines that are defined and precise. Smudge-proof, budge-proof and water-resistant coverage for all day wear to combat against, sweat, tears and rain! Slanted Eyeliner Brush included!" - from e.l.f. official site

Pros: This is so much better than pencil or liquid liners I've tried before. Pencil always ends up smudging or running after just a couple hours, and I can't even wear liquid; my eye likes to think it's trying to invade and is like "lol NO!". But this stuff is wonderful! First of all, it's only $3 (most e.l.f. cosmetics are $1, but their "higher end" things like their .
I love this eyeliner, basically for tight lining and it stays put all day until i remove it. It only smudges a little when i line on my eyelids, but not when i tightline. I like the square packaging because it makes it so i would close it properly. I have used this eyeliner for a few months and it hasn't dried out, which is a plus. I have this eyeliner in metalic olive, and its looks like an olive color with a subtle gold sheen when swapped on hand. The tiny brush it comes with is also quite useful actually, but i wish the brush handle was longer. Not a big deal though. Overall, I would repurchase. Plan to get the black one this one.
Damieancolon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 02:16 AM   #5
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

Question: How pigmented is the black? I've been looking into other gel liners to use for a number of my cosplays that require the color to be as black as possible.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 04:39 PM   #6
Crimson_sword
The dangerous quiet one

This is awesome! Thanks for posting the review!! I think I might just have to get one of these in purple to use for my Queen Beryl costume. (Though I won't exactly be using it on my eyes.)

Ohayocon
Crimson_sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2011, 12:33 PM   #7
Stormraven24
Fear my whimsy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musicalpencil View Post
Question: How pigmented is the black? I've been looking into other gel liners to use for a number of my cosplays that require the color to be as black as possible.
It's very dark. I'd even go so far as to compare it to facepaint, maybe a smidge or two below it.
Unread 09-17-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Gypsyangelf4i
Places to go,People to be

Wow, thanks for the tip. I went out and picked some up today to compare with the Mabelline Eye Studio liner I usually use.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ket_86132_.jpg

I like Mabelline's brush better than the ELF. It's easier to do fine lines with.

As for color, the Elf does look half a shade lighter than the Mabelline, but actually shows up darker in photos. So in pics they look the same. Also the Elf goes on quite smooth, while the Mabelline sometimes glops. I use this mainly for Gaara, so I color in my entire upper lid with eye liner. Yes I know Ben Nye would be better, but I'm a cheap skate.

Left side is ELF Right side is Mabelline...sorry, I missed a little spot when coloring in.

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ket_86131_.jpg

And after an hour:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x...ket_86135_.jpg

As you can see, the Elf did smudge a little, but is still there. At this point I'd have to re apply the Mabelline as a large portion of it has smudged off.

At cons I usually use a setting spray,(dabbed on, not sprayed on), so I wouldn't be needing to re apply this soon. But for testing purposes I wanted to see how long it held up on it's own.

Overall I give it an A. The brush could be finer or even come with a cover. It did smudge a bit. But it will definitely have a longer staying power than most products. Great product and a great tip. Best $3 I've spent in a long while. Thanks again!!

Last edited by Gypsyangelf4i : 09-17-2011 at 01:39 PM.
Gypsyangelf4i is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:59 AM   #9
Musicalpencil
great now I'M the bad guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormraven24 View Post
It's very dark. I'd even go so far as to compare it to facepaint, maybe a smidge or two below it.
Okay then. I currently use the Wet & Wild gel liner which is very black pigmented. It was around $3-4, but I've been looking into others to try out so I may have to give this one a shot after I run out.

Murphy's Law of Cosplay:
"If she thinks for half a minute this is gonna be a stroll,
she can kiss my you-know-what 'cos you-know-who is in control!”
Musicalpencil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Kawaii Pocky
I a shower, not a grower!

I've wanted to try elf products but didn't know if they'd be any good cause they're so cheap. I know cherap make up isn't always crappy, but the half the time it is. Atleast the few things I've tried buying. Though I do like the cheaper brands nyc and some other one. I will try this out because I don't like pencils or liquid eyeliner all that much just because pencils don't come out that dark and break all the time in my sharpener. And liquid comes off really easy so I can't get it wet or get teary eyed. I have tried cream before, I had the maybelene cream eye liner some where which I loved because it lasts me all day when I wear it and doesn't really smudge at all but I don't know where the hell it went. lol
Planned Cosplays 2013:
C.C. - Code Geass (100%)
Akihiko Sanada - Persona 3 (100%)
Lolita - (100%)
Yukiko Alt Color - Persona 3/Persona 4 Arena (planned)
Catherine - Catherine (planned)
Sebastian - Black Butler (planned)
Shiro Lolita - (planned)
Kawaii Pocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2011, 08:34 AM   #11
Imogenbrawn

Talking beauty tips for your eye....

I am impressed with E.L.F Cream Eyeliner. It works really but I want some experiment with my eye. His one more recent new product is also good. It works really as many high end liners. This is really good pencil. The price can’t be beat and color selection is decent. I did like to see more colors but the ones they have are sure to please most people…

I am highly recommended to use this elf eyeliner product.
So many eye liner have used I have a small eyes and my eyeliner always smudges. This is the only one that stays put! It’s very soft and easy to apply yet stays on all day…seriously I have love it….i really like this e.l.f eyeliner and the packaging is cute. I think it’s a bit too opaque and I find my self using at least 2 coast to get the blackest black winged look that I like it.
Unread 11-26-2011, 12:14 AM   #12
patriciarakel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawaii Pocky View Post
I've wanted to try elf products but didn't know if they'd be any good cause they're so cheap. I know cherap make up isn't always crappy, but the half the time it is. Atleast the few things I've tried buying. Though I do like the cheaper brands nyc and some other one.
I thought the same thing when my friend told me about ELF. How can anything so cheap work like he was telling me? Well, I tried some of their products, and 9 times out of 10, I'm completely satisfied. I've only had a couple of problems with them (had a reaction to the tea tree oil in one product, but after looking into it, discovered that it's a reaction that some people do have), but other than that, it's always great to get great product for so cheap. My sister is in love with their cream eyeliner. We both have a small stockpile of ELF products in our makeup kits.
Astrid (How to Train Your Dragon)
Tinkerbell (Peter Pan)
Reviving This Year:
Annabeth Chase (Percy Jackson)
Katniss Everdeen (Hunger Games)
patriciarakel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-26-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
QueenPegasus

Oh I love e.l.f cream eyeliner, It's much more intense than a pencil and I can't wear liquid due to my overhanging eye-lids (I end up with it on top of my eyelid rather than the bottom) However this doesn't transfer on there and it stays put, I use their angle brush or a thin paint-brush to apply tho as I love my thin lines
QueenPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote