Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-25-2011, 04:52 PM   #1
omgitsnessy

Talking Dying a jacket

six questions:
1) can I dye a jacket, like with zipper and all? will it dye the zipper?
2) it is reddish now (i would like it to still be red, perhaps a bit brighter) but it has a big "old navy" logo on it (about 2 inches high, stretches across the whole front) in orange. will i have to bleach it first or if i just dye it all a brighter red will it all be the same color?
3) where can i buy fabric dye?
4) what brand of fabric dye should i use?
5) is there anything i need to buy along with the fabric dye? does it need a primer or something? haha i don't know.
6) is there a special way you dye your fabric that improves your results??

incase you're wondering, i'm making a matryoshka jacket.
omgitsnessy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-25-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
myalchod
reflections and dreams

1) You can dye completed garments; however, not only will different fabrics (and things like the thread and the zipper) take dye differently, but they may also shrink differently (critical if you're dyeing in hot water, which some fibres and dye brands need). The zipper will most likely not take the dye due to its synthetic content.

2) Think of dye as laying a piece of transparent coloured plastic over your existing garment. If you had something woven in white and blue stripes and you dyed it red, you'd get red and purple, not all red. Your logo would still show up. Depending on how it's applied, you might not be able to bleach it out either -- those are often silkscreened, which means it's a paint rather than part of the fabric itself.

3) Depends on the dye you want. I've seen RIT or Dylon in grocery stores and drugstores. Most chain craft/fabric stores carry them (JoAnn's, Michael's). I tend to order mine online.

4) That depends entirely on what the fibre content you're dyeing is. Beyond that, personal preference.

5) This depends entirely on the dye you choose. Most of them have specific instructions. Some have whatever is needed to set the dye integrated, some require you to buy additional chemicals.

6) Again, this depends on what you're dyeing and what you're dyeing it with. As a general rule, make sure you're working in a big-enough container that your fabric can move freely; scrunching it up leads to areas the dye gets less concentrated in. Dissolve your dye fully. Rinse the fabric completely afterwards. Make sure your garments are completely clean before dyeing them.

Red is a tricky colour because it tends to bleed out at the drop of a hat; from your description of your existing jacket, it sounds like you might be better off looking for another base garment or making one from scratch rather than trying to dye it.
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2011, 05:33 PM   #3
omgitsnessy

oh! thank you -- i guess i will just buy a new one, i was just hoping to use what i already have. oh well ^^
omgitsnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2011, 08:01 PM   #4
violetxhill

Oh, I made a Teto Matryoshka and dyed it too! Maybe I can help....

1) can I dye a jacket, like with zipper and all? will it dye the zipper?
Yes, the dye should not color the zipper.

2) it is reddish now (i would like it to still be red, perhaps a bit brighter) but it has a big "old navy" logo on it (about 2 inches high, stretches across the whole front) in orange. will i have to bleach it first or if i just dye it all a brighter red will it all be the same color?
Well... I would recommend getting another jacket, you really want it all to be one color with no logos or designs on it. The logo probably won't dye well.

3) where can i buy fabric dye?
Internet, JoAnn's, Micheal's. I bought mine at JoAnn's.

4) what brand of fabric dye should i use?
I recommend RIT fabric dye.

5) is there anything i need to buy along with the fabric dye? does it need a primer or something? haha i don't know.
From my experience, not really. But you do need to know what sort of fabric your jacket is because some fabrics bleach and dye much better than others. This should help.

6) is there a special way you dye your fabric that improves your results??
This is also the method I used to dye my jacket for Matryoshka.

Good luck~!