Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #1
persephoneecho

Oppression within the Cosplay Community

Hey everyone!

For a project I'm doing, i'm trying to find people to talk about different forms of oppression within the cosplay community.
So, sound off in the comments, what do y'all think?
What forms of oppression do you see?
What' your opinion?
What can we do to make it better?

--
Percy
Tulip (Preacher)
persephoneecho is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread Yesterday, 07:50 PM   #2
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

Classifying this as "oppression" is probably extreme, but there definitely is an issue with it.

What forms of oppression do you see?

There is a definite bias against people who buy their costumes rather than make them. The people that make their cosplays are the only ones considered "real cosplayers" by a lot of people. People who buy their costumes from online sites (or even Halloween stores if it's something common enough like a super hero) are treated like the scum of the earth by some of the more "elite" (I use this term loosely) members of the community. People who commission their costumes (usually from another cosplayer) are in the middle of the road. The still aren't given the same respect as the "real cosplayers" but people tolerate them at least because they do support cosplayers by hiring them to make thier costumes.

What' your opinion?

Everyone that cosplays should be treated as a "real cosplayer" regardless of how they came to acquire their costume. You can get lots of people to agree with this online, but in real life not so much. Online has it's issues too though. So many times I have seen a person ask a question like "Where is the best place to buy X costume?" only for over half the replies to encourage the person to make it themselves. That was not their question and if they wanted to make it themselves they wouldn't have asked where to BUY it. I'm sure those same people that gave those replies would agree that we should treat all the cosplayers equally, but by suggesting to make rather than buy it shows a sort of subconscious affirmation that made is superior to bought, which is not necessarily the case.

What can we do to make it better?

When people ask where they can BUY a costume don't tell them to make it. Actually link them to places they can buy it or refer them to a commissioner. Don't act disappointed when people tell you they didn't make their costume. Instead of complimenting their craftsmanship you can still find another way to compliment them. "It looks really good on you" is much better than "Oh" and an awkward silence. Even some events at conventions so people who buy their cosplays don't have to feel so left out. Like an "I Bought My Cosplay and I'm Proud of it" sort of panel.

Sorry if that wasn't what you are looking for; it's just something I've seen a lot.
Anime Milwaukee 2013
Anime Central 2014
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 08:55 PM   #3
TitanSlayer000
Eh

The oppression within the cosplay community is just a reflection of "real world" oppression. "You can't cosplay if you're black", "you can't cosplay if you're disabled", "you can't cosplay as a different gender." These statements are the result of an existing oppression/discrimination in society. Just replace "cosplay" with "get a job easily" and you have real life. Not at the fault of the PoC, disabled people, or trans* people, but the fault of the employers' discrimination. It still happens and it's sad. It's hard to fix it within the cosplay community without fixing it within society in general. But just encouraging the idea that anyone can cosplay helps. Don't let people get away with saying things like "A black version of (character)", or "(character) in a wheelchair". Don't limit cosplayers to their race, health, physical/mental condition, or gender.

In fact, we have a perfect example of the result of this right here: http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=352117

Last edited by TitanSlayer000 : Yesterday at 08:57 PM.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote