Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-05-2012, 11:33 AM   #2776
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

I never knew that about us Penny, =/ that's really unfortunate. Thanks for educating me about it.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2012, 11:42 AM   #2777
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Re:Maternity leave

A good friend of my mothers happens to live in Canada ( OMINOUS FORESHADOWING) and not only did she get something like 6 months paid leave when she took maternity leave, she was free to chose the kind of hospital she went to under the insurance that's available to them and was free to have a natural birth without hemming and hawing around by doctors or insurance companies. While in the hospital she was given her own space for her and her child, not a shared room, and when she was released from the hospital she chose to be a stay-at-home mother for the first year with her child before returning to her job. In short;
She got just about a full year of maternity leave to stay home and raise her kid, then came back to work like she never left and without any repercussions to her position.

A better explanation of Canadian maternity leave:
Quote:
In 2000, parental leave was greatly expanded in Canada from 10 weeks to 35 weeks divided as desired between two parents. This is in addition to 15 weeks maternity leave. In most situations, a combination of maternity and parental benefits can be received up to a combined maximum of 50 weeks. In Canada maternity and parental leave is paid for by the Employment Insurance system.

When she was telling this all to my mother, my mother just stared at her with her mouth open like a turkey in a rainstorm. Canadian friend was equally shocked to hear that American women struggle to get enough time out to even birth the child and get home before they're expected back in the work scene.

Edit because angry:
So Boyfriend and I checked out the apartments for $400 yesterday only to find that contrary to their corporate website they do not have a studio available as the last was rented out last week. They have one or two one bedrooms available for $99 more with an extra 50 square feet. Which isn't bad, but it may mean the difference on if Boyfriend and I can move out right now because of tight things are.

If we move out before Youmacon, we're pretty much going to have to give up going to the artist alley this year. So things will be pretty tight as it is.

I am just pissed that they have these huge buttons and advertising that their studio is available but we drive out there to find "Lol nope". They have a button to apply for the apartment online, and if this wasn't updated to display the current residences then someone who may be living elsewhere could have broken their current lease to move in there only to find they won't have a place to live. Just. People. Update the information on your website :|
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Last edited by Lithium Flower : 07-05-2012 at 12:02 PM.
Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 04:46 PM   #2778
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

My friend is bailing on the trip to Boston for a cosplay picnic... I am both let down and a bit pissed.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 05:36 PM   #2779
angelbabycakes
Scorchcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Re:Maternity leave

A good friend of my mothers happens to live in Canada ( OMINOUS FORESHADOWING) and not only did she get something like 6 months paid leave when she took maternity leave, she was free to chose the kind of hospital she went to under the insurance that's available to them and was free to have a natural birth without hemming and hawing around by doctors or insurance companies. While in the hospital she was given her own space for her and her child, not a shared room, and when she was released from the hospital she chose to be a stay-at-home mother for the first year with her child before returning to her job. In short;
She got just about a full year of maternity leave to stay home and raise her kid, then came back to work like she never left and without any repercussions to her position.

A better explanation of Canadian maternity leave:

When she was telling this all to my mother, my mother just stared at her with her mouth open like a turkey in a rainstorm. Canadian friend was equally shocked to hear that American women struggle to get enough time out to even birth the child and get home before they're expected back in the work scene.

Edit because angry:
So Boyfriend and I checked out the apartments for $400 yesterday only to find that contrary to their corporate website they do not have a studio available as the last was rented out last week. They have one or two one bedrooms available for $99 more with an extra 50 square feet. Which isn't bad, but it may mean the difference on if Boyfriend and I can move out right now because of tight things are.

If we move out before Youmacon, we're pretty much going to have to give up going to the artist alley this year. So things will be pretty tight as it is.

I am just pissed that they have these huge buttons and advertising that their studio is available but we drive out there to find "Lol nope". They have a button to apply for the apartment online, and if this wasn't updated to display the current residences then someone who may be living elsewhere could have broken their current lease to move in there only to find they won't have a place to live. Just. People. Update the information on your website :|
That super stinks to hear. I always call the actual complex to ask, as my years of living in apartments has taught me a lot, lol.

As a side note: Also, just because someone fills out an application, doesn't necessarily mean they automatically are accepted, so someone breaking their lease to move into another location without being approved at the other location (whoa, confusing), probably isn't thinking wisely or is uneducated about how applications work. It's unsafe to do so, as so much could go wrong with the application and one could become homeless and really in a bind.

Last edited by angelbabycakes : 07-05-2012 at 05:39 PM.
angelbabycakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 06:40 PM   #2780
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Fabric costs a lot nowadays!!! >_< I made a simple gown for my doll and got just a yard...costed me $8 o.o that's way to much..what if I wanted to make a gown for a person? Ah! That's scary

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Mimmy (Hello Kitty)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #2781
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Depends on the job, by default, there is 15 weeks for the mother, and 35 weeks that can be split to both parents. A job cannot fire you for taking those, but they're not paid days --- it comes out of the government's pocket at a rate outlined by several parameters (Not equal to the salary you earn while working). The government grants an amount for the person staying at home, but the company they work for is *not* paying them while they stay at home raising their newborn. (Though employment contracts may grant a few days of paid leave for such).

Regardless, if anyone is curious to the specifics, here's the official details. If you don't apply for it, you don't get any support while you stay at home. Anything more than what is outlined by the link is to the discretion of the employer, they just can't go below that.

Last edited by Kildread : 07-05-2012 at 08:04 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 09:19 PM   #2782
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Depends on the job, by default, there is 15 weeks for the mother, and 35 weeks that can be split to both parents. A job cannot fire you for taking those, but they're not paid days --- it comes out of the government's pocket at a rate outlined by several parameters (Not equal to the salary you earn while working). The government grants an amount for the person staying at home, but the company they work for is *not* paying them while they stay at home raising their newborn. (Though employment contracts may grant a few days of paid leave for such).

Regardless, if anyone is curious to the specifics, here's the official details. If you don't apply for it, you don't get any support while you stay at home. Anything more than what is outlined by the link is to the discretion of the employer, they just can't go below that.
Yeah government pays out at 55%. This is still pretty good considering you don't have to drive into work and are at home. I think they also get their 2 week vacation or w/e thats paid as well which they can stack for the extra 2 weeks though i'm not positive.
I have no plans for babies so... ^^;;

I think we can still do even more when it comes to gov funded childcare and care for autistic kids.

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2012, 10:38 PM   #2783
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DireKitty View Post
Yeah government pays out at 55%. This is still pretty good considering you don't have to drive into work and are at home. I think they also get their 2 week vacation or w/e thats paid as well which they can stack for the extra 2 weeks though i'm not positive.
If the employee has it accumulated, their 4% (or 6%, though I don't know if it's just a Québec thing) is also valid, yes. Otherwise, their "pay" is cut by nearly 50% (Even more if they waited before taking those days off and had been working reduced hours already, as it is based on what you were earning for a set period from the time you put your application forth).

I brought the clarification forth so nobody thought companies where paying new parents. Every worker does pay a little for everything (As outlined in the link I posted), out of each pay period, there's 20% of what I earn that goes straight to the government for social advantages that I may or may not need. Everyone here does that :/

It's a good thing, yes, but it has a price.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 06:19 AM   #2784
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

My cursid stomach is acting up agian. It's been awhile, and oddly my kidneys are not acting up (hurting) so I don't know what's causing it. Doctors always assumed it was pain from my kidneys just causing my stomach to throw a tantrium. UG and I was just getting back my appitite after so many years. I nono, maybe my dad is my dad and I have ulcers.
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:10 AM   #2785
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Stupid broad in Louisiana supported a voucher allowing state funds to be donated to religious schools until she realized they might go to Islamic schools too. Straight up says she only wants it for Christian schools. WHAT IS THIS NOISE?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-06-2012, 12:10 PM   #2786
SapphireLotus
Where's my f@*king tea?

I basically just got called a state sucking leech who's going to live off state assistance forever because my husband and I are having a second child and I don't yet have a job. Im not even on the state for anything except my son having insurance!
SapphireLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:13 PM   #2787
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Well, VIA Rail, you just struck out for me travelling in the summer with you any more. First you delay my first train. THEN you get intoUnion (where I'm switching trains) so late that my boyfriend misses his connection to get back home in time for work, since he so lovingly rode with me on the first leg, AND with no time for me to get some damn lunch (I am STARVING because I barely had time for breakfast, they had nothing I could take with me for snacks and I was GOING to buy lunch in the concourse instead of massively overpaying for a shitty snack on board whenever the hell your cart even decides to come by), THEN you're cramming this already-full train even fuller with people who missed connections because of you delaying the train, and THEN when I go to find what train I'm supposed to connect to? You give me no help whatsoever in finding the gate, just rudely say "over there" when I ask where my car is, and YOU DON'T EVEN HAVE ANYONE AT THE DOOR TO HELP ME UP WITH MY HUGE AND HEAVY SUITCASE.

Oh, and woman across the aisle, close your fucking mouth while you chomp into that apple. You look and sound like a damn cow.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:16 PM   #2788
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by AstharosheAsran View Post
I basically just got called a state sucking leech who's going to live off state assistance forever because my husband and I are having a second child and I don't yet have a job. Im not even on the state for anything except my son having insurance!
Let me guess, these are the kind of people who see any woman having more then two children as a 'baby machine' or some nonsense.

Your pregnancy, your body, your family and your financial situation is not the business of society's' fart clouds.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-06-2012, 12:23 PM   #2789
SapphireLotus
Where's my f@*king tea?

Quote:
Let me guess, these are the kind of people who see any woman having more then two children as a 'baby machine' or some nonsense.

Your pregnancy, your body, your family and your financial situation is not the business of society's' fart clouds.
Sadly this came from someone I've known for years. Their mindset, even though they're my age, is still that of a teenager most times. Even when I had my first (and both hubby and I had a job then) this person told me I had no idea what I was doing and my life would be nothing but the kid, etc.

Basically they seem to think that because Im not going out all the time and doing things they consider 'fun', I have no life because Im a mother.
SapphireLotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 12:25 PM   #2790
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

So after a really cruddy morning, not ONE of our samples is useable for further testing. All that extraction work is crap, and we're desperately searching for when the problem started... ergh all the graphs look so weird and WTF is all this.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote