Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:59 AM   #2926
Makira
Show me where ya noms at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
Well, then. I hope you never have the misfortune to be a victim of sexual assault, like the other 3/4 of women (and a significant number of men) in the US have been or will be, so you can continue to make flippant, dismissive remarks and not be offended or "triggered" when people make jokes about events that are so emotionally damaging that their aftereffects are often likened to spiritual death. Thanks for being a friend.
YOU should really go back and read my original post. For sure. Because if you had, you would have clearly seen I had said I was raped. So, um. Yeah. As I said before, people should probably bother to read everything before they make remarks. So, I will continue to be flippant and dismissive over remarks like that, because guess what? Tosh wouldn't know my history, so why get butt hurt over it? I get everyone handles things differently, but since you pointed a finger at ME and we're talking about ME, other people really don't come into play in this little paragraph. (Simply saying this before anyone tries >.>)

Good day.

Edit: Actually, here, since you couldn't do it before, I'll just quote it for you and save you the trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makira View Post

Now, where as rape isn't funny, getting your panties in a bunch over it isn't either. If they weren't happy with his act, get up and leave, don't sit there and endure it making yourself pissed off, then become outraged at a response you gave to heckling a comedian. Everyone has different senses of humor. That's life. I'm sure they're also aware that the Laugh Factory is an 18+ comedy club, it's not going to be jokes about unicorns and proper etiquette. Maybe I'm just more jaded and cynical, but I feel if she went into a show she already knew she wasn't going to like, what the hell did she expect? I might get flamed for this, and personally, I don't care. I feel I have room to talk on the situation because *I* personally, have been in the rape situation. Yes, it was awful/traumatizing, what have you, but I grew from that experience tremendously, and a few rape jokes aren't going to make me run out of a comedy club demanding my money back for a show I didn't even really want to see in the first place.
Social Cosplay- http://www.socialcos.com/profile/41
Youtube- http://www.youtube.com/user/MissMakira

Cons- AM2, Anime Expo 2012, Anime Vegas 2012, Animegacon 2012

Last edited by Makira : 07-12-2012 at 12:13 PM.
Makira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #2927
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Tosh wouldn't know my history, so why get butt hurt over it?
Because the way you handle something is not the way others do. Because you being able to laugh at a situation that is and was harmful is the way you personally are able to cope. Because many women (and men) are not going to be able to fit into the same mold that you do, because they will not be able to cope the same way you do, and because people who are victims of violent actions should not have to change themselves and set aside trauma for a half-assed comedian. The world should be a place where people who have experienced terrible violence against them are not expected to laugh it off and put aside their discomfort or fear for the sake of not being seen as a trouble maker.

For the sake of 'argument' saying that Tosh' retelling of what happened is correct he responded to this statement:

"Don't talk about rape, it hurts"

From that point he made the assumption that woman in question had been raped herself. Following after his assumption he accessed the situation and responded as follows:

- Tells inappropriate rape joke

- Woman in audience expressed discomfort, trauma, and outright fear, telling him to stop.

- Makes fun of her and says "You must have been raped by like 5 guys"

This situation is never going to funny. It's not an acceptable from response a high-functioning adult.

A respectable person responds to this as such:
"The situation got out of hand and I am sincerely sorry that I hurt anyone with my inappropriate commentary"

It is important for you to understand that how YOU cope with trauma is not the STANDARD for how others should cope with the same or similar experiences. It is important for you to understand that others who have experienced the same or similar trauma can cope and deal with this in drastically different ways, including experiencing traumatic and fearful feelings that can be triggered by commentary similar to Tosh'.

How you personally are able to deal and handle extremely horrible trauma is not the set standard for how others deal with it. Your views on it, and what you're able to accept and take into your life is not the basis for how others should be living. Instead, you should be compassionate to the plight of others who have been under the same duress and how they personally are able to cope.

Somehow I feel this is going to involve you or someone else badgering me for 'credentials', don't even try.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:06 PM   #2928
Makira

Quote:
Tosh wouldn't know my history, so why get butt hurt over it? I get everyone handles things differently, but since you pointed a finger at ME and we're talking about ME, other people really don't come into play in this little paragraph. (Simply saying this before anyone tries >.>)
... seriously?

Edit: I was responding to his comment about me not having an understanding because it had never happened to me (when it did, he clearly didn't read everything, did you?). I even said I was talking about me... I can't even... good lord, this thread... oy.

Last edited by Makira : 07-12-2012 at 01:11 PM.
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #2929
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Don't post in it then if you're prepared to have a discussion Makira.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:16 PM   #2930
Makira

It's not a discussion anymore, lol. It's people not even reading anything I post yet still talking to me like they did when they clearly didn't >.>;;

Screw it, you guys can have your little domain back >.> this is ridiculous and going no where. Enjoy~

Unread 07-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #2931
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Be clearer with what you state then. The people responding to you are some of the most intelligent people I know here... maybe they're misunderstanding you.
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:39 PM   #2932
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Comedians making rape jokes isn't anything new and really sadly not particularly shocking or interesting as a whole.
True. And curse you bringing this sordid affair to my attention! (Though actually it was Bisected's comment that I couldn't let pass).

Quote:
It's the way he handled it like a whimpering baby and disregarding the genuine distress of this woman that everyone is upset with. The proper response to 'heckling' isn't "You should get gang raped!". This shit isn't difficult.
This exactly. And even though I find the vast majority of rape jokes to be repulsive, not having seen footage of the actual show, I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that his routine was funny. It was his response to her that was over the line. And again - it doesn't sound like she was making a huge fuss (I mean - the average comedy show crowd is not particularly well behaved anyway). She wrote about how she had a horrible experience at a show and her friend who posted the story on some obscure blog. However I strongly suspect that the usual pus-for-brains of the internet cesspool will find her and bombard her with the worst kinds of threats and filth because the internet is nothing if not predictable. *people screaming about free speech in 3...2...1...*

Quote:
A respectable person responds to this as such:
"The situation got out of hand and I am sincerely sorry that I hurt anyone with my inappropriate commentary"
But you know, I think that if one chooses to be an edgy and purposefully offensive comedian whose audience comes to the show "eagerly expecting rape/racist/drug related jokes", you've kind of given up any idea of being a respectable person. Which, o.k. That doesn't really bother me. It's easy enough for me to avoid those kinds of entertainers. But that's why his so-called apology bugs me. Dude, you want us to think you are a balls-to-the-wall baddass zero fucks given comedian but at the first sign of controversy you issue one of those stupid, "I'm sorry if anyone was offended" statements? Makes me think that Comedy Central or his agent threatened his income. How edgy! Seriously - if you're going to be a douchebag you should man up and own your douchebaggery. IDK. Just my opinion. Plus, you know, the people he pissed off aren't going to be satisfied with his weak tea and the people who support him are just going to be annoyed that he offered any kind of apology at all.

Quote:
Edit: Anyway, since this has been a repetitive conversation that is 100% pointless >.> I'm just going to drop it because I can only say the same thing over and over so many times. I think from now on I'll just quote my old posts and save myself the trouble from those that didn't read them.
Quote:
Yeah, I think I'm just gonna stay away from most things >.>;; It's probably a wise idea xD
Quote:
Oh God, I already didn't listen to myself on not responding. Oh well, what are you gonna do! ANYWAY. Like previously stated, this conversation is completely pointless. Only the same shit is going to be repeated, so, if you feel like adding your 2 cents and shadowing what everyone else has already said, by all means, go ahead, I won't be here to keep reading =P So, have fun with that >.>;
Quote:
Good day.
Good day!

Last edited by The Hag : 07-12-2012 at 01:43 PM.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2933
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
It's not a discussion anymore, lol. It's people not even reading anything I post yet still talking to me like they did when they clearly didn't >.>;;

Screw it, you guys can have your little domain back >.> this is ridiculous and going no where. Enjoy~
Have you possibly thought that you're misunderstanding?

I am perfectly aware you where talking about personal experience, you however seem to assume I am not. In which you're sadly mistaken.

But I shouldn't have to share my personal business with you for you to listen to what I have to say.

I will repeat what I've said in the simplest way I can say it:

It doesn't matter if someone knows you're personal history or not, victims of abuse and assault shouldn't have to even worry about coming across triggering events as part of their entertainment and they shouldn't be expected to 'lighten up'.

There genuinely is no simpler way I can word my statements.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-12-2012, 01:43 PM   #2934
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Makira... I can understand why people would get confused... you're posting several posts and directing them at separate posters, and I think you have the expectation that everyone is reading all of them while you post rapid fire... but if you really think that their discussion is them being "trolls" you're going to have little fun on the rest of the forum
Unread 07-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #2935
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Double post because separate

I WAS having a good day before all of the bullshit. Fuck you anxiety >.<

Dog ripped the liner on my pool because she decided to be a retard and sister is yelling at me.

Last edited by BlondieSundae : 07-12-2012 at 02:02 PM.
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2936
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Who said he didn't understand? Even if he's trying to save his ass, he said sorry. Boo hoo. Someones feelings got hurt. The fact its got actual articles and blew up like it did is ridiculous. And it wasn't from *pages* back like it was something that happened 35 days ago, lets not be TOO overly dramatic here. And I did defend my opinion beyond that >.> You should probably re-read everything if you didn't see that.

Yeah, not really her thing, but can be funny sometimes. Last I checked, Laugh Factory wasn't a cheap place to go for someone you hardly like. Much less not recognize any of the other names on there.

Oh God, I already didn't listen to myself on not responding. Oh well, what are you gonna do! ANYWAY. Like previously stated, this conversation is completely pointless. Only the same shit is going to be repeated, so, if you feel like adding your 2 cents and shadowing what everyone else has already said, by all means, go ahead, I won't be here to keep reading =P So, have fun with that >.>;

Edit: Oh, and as far as dressing up as trainers/pokemon at the Zoo, I think that's a fantastic idea =P
Quote:
YOU should really go back and read my original post. For sure. Because if you had, you would have clearly seen I had said I was raped. So, um. Yeah. As I said before, people should probably bother to read everything before they make remarks. So, I will continue to be flippant and dismissive over remarks like that, because guess what? Tosh wouldn't know my history, so why get butt hurt over it? I get everyone handles things differently, but since you pointed a finger at ME and we're talking about ME, other people really don't come into play in this little paragraph. (Simply saying this before anyone tries >.>)

Good day.

Edit: Actually, here, since you couldn't do it before, I'll just quote it for you and save you the trouble
I have cancer. By your logic, I now have the authority to tell everyone how to react to their own battles with cancer.

There is no argument here. There's no clique battling you. It's just a bunch of people vastly more intelligent than you trying to cram ideas into your dumb head, and you responding with "lol" and passive aggressive bullshit. I fervently hope you heed your own counsel and don't come back. Stay gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 02:35 PM   #2937
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I have cancer. By your logic, I now have the authority to tell everyone how to react to their own battles with cancer.

There is no argument here. There's no clique battling you. It's just a bunch of people vastly more intelligent than you trying to cram ideas into your dumb head, and you responding with "lol" and passive aggressive bullshit. I fervently hope you heed your own counsel and don't come back. Stay gone.

Let me love you.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #2938
Makira

Gosh, you're so wise! I'm jealous. Really I wish I thought of petty name calling first.

Unread 07-12-2012, 03:04 PM   #2939
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Gosh, you're so wise! I'm jealous. Really I wish I thought of petty name calling first.
The single correct thing you've considered is that yes it would be unwise to 'make a joke about sams cancer' because his 'minions will get you' .

We live in the shadows
Like the boogeyman.

You could hire some specialized 'Anti Cunt Minions' of your own for the low low price of three easy payments of $49.99.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 07-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #2940
LoliLovely
They Can't Fire Me I Quit

What even...nope. I'm not even gonna get in on this. It's not worth my time.
LoliLovely is offline   Reply With Quote