Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-19-2012, 02:31 PM   #3151
Tsukino Sora

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
As an aspie myself, I'm glad my parents did have some lenience in knowing it was really hard for me to actually find and hold down jobs or take initiative on things I'd never done before (hell, I'm 22 and still don't know how to drive despite saying I need to since I was 19). But by no means was I allowed to just laze around and mooch and make no goals or plans whatsoever. I was expected to do well in school (I always did, fortunately), go to college (I did, it was just a waste of a diploma), do my share of housework, take responsibility for irresponsibility (if I didn't set my alarm to the right time in the morning and overslept? Tough luck, they had to go to work before me and wouldn't wake me up, so I'd better not do it again...), and at least LOOK for a job even if I didn't get hired (I didn't get my first "real" job until I was 19, and got fired after three weeks, then took several more months to get one that I held down for over a year). Some people do mature faster than others and seem to just LOVE being up to their eyeballs in responsibility, it's a fact, but you do have to draw a limit of how "behind" you can let your kid be.
That said, I was always getting pissed off at an aunt of mine who when I was in my teens would always loudly demand at every family function that I had to go get a job somewhere I'd never heard of or in some field I wouldn't be able to stand working in, because all HER kids were working by the time they were 8. I was not HER kids, and hell, I was not NORMAL like her kids were, either, so what supposedly worked for them is/was not the same for me.
I hear you on that last part. Just last week, I was having an emotional breakdown (My first in years!) because everyone was treating me like a child, yet expecting me to be an adult. "Why can't you be like your friend Hunter? He's 14 and taking college classes!" "Well, I can't be like him because I'm not him, so stop comparing me to other people." "But I'm comparing you to your friend." "Doesn't matter. I'm no one but myself, so don't judge my achievements based upon someone else's."

I digress, though. I really need to get back to job hunting.

Unread 07-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #3152
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Boyfriend is now officially 28 years old and his mother still compares him to his friends on occasion. Sure there are things he's not proud of 'mucking up' career wise and with his education, but we need to let people make their own mistakes and learn from them without condemning them for it. It's just not right to hold up yourself or others against someone else and their accomplishments.

As for having issues or fears with getting into the work force, I can understand that entirely. Sometimes it can be difficult to know that we're not necessarily like the other people we're working with or even servicing at our job. For those of us with physiological or developmental struggles it really isn't always easy. But it's not going to get any easier sitting at home worrying if now's the time to get out there and try.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:23 PM   #3153
BlackroseHunter
TheOne&Only

I can relate to the Comparing thing! I hear it all the time but what REALLY gets on my nerves is when one day its
"Why can't you get an A on the test like so and so did?!" "But I'm not like them!"
But when I try to say "Well, everyone else failed the test, so I don't feel that bad" My rents are all like "Don't compare yourself to others! You're our child not them!"
Between that and flip flopping between "You're *blank* years old! Act your age!" and "You're ONLY *blank, stop acting grown!" I feel like my head's going to exploade

"When you curse someone, you dig your own grave"

Cosplays for Anime Mid-Atlantic 2014:
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Ymir (Attack on Titan)
Fem!Prussia (Nyotalia/Hetalia)

Cosplays for Otakon 2014
Princess Tiana (The Princess and the Frog)
Tony the Talking Clock (Don't Hug Me I'm Scared)
Fem!Rin Matsuoka (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club)
Fu, Seven-Tailed Jinchuuriki (Naruto: Shippuden)
BlackroseHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:45 PM   #3154
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

Why are ppl so gifted and I had to be just plain useless...

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 04:51 PM   #3155
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
Why are ppl so gifted and I had to be just plain useless...
Cut the shit...you're not.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:00 PM   #3156
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Sometimes I just think about all of the money I've spent and wasted and lost on pointless crap that I'm never going to get back and I get angry and depressed with myself. And how terrible I am with adult financial situations and how much of a failure I am at paying bills and sending cheques. I mean fucking cheques I hate cheques, can't I just give you the money or use the MAGICAL POWERS of the fucking internet and give it to you that way? No I have to write down on a piece of paper that you are alowed to take some of my money... can't I just give you the fucking money.

Just feeling kind of pathetic tonight.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:02 PM   #3157
Rangiku12
<3 Old School <3

I feel like I am. I might need a new lease on life or something cause I'm just wasting space.

Working on
Tsunade (Naruto)
Rangiku12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:03 PM   #3158
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrancar12 View Post
I feel like I am. I might need a new lease on life or something cause I'm just wasting space.
You can only feel that way if you let yourself feel that way.

Fullbleed- You're not allowed to feel pathetic D= you're fullbleed!
Unread 07-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #3159
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Sometimes I just think about all of the money I've spent and wasted and lost on pointless crap that I'm never going to get back and I get angry and depressed with myself.
Eventually, it stops mattering. At least, to me, my expenses felt only pointless when people who didn't care commented on them.

Usually followed with "You'd be better served spending that money on <X>" where <X> is something that individual approved.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:46 PM   #3160
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Thing is I have plenty of money, its just that I squander it on too many pointless things and I think about how much better it could have been spent. Everytime I start a new cosplay for example I go way over budget and it ends up shit, and then I'll wear it once and never again. Whats even the point.

The most I've ever spent on something was a replica Drive jacket that cost £120, and it never even fucking arrived... that makes me feel like shit. £120 could've gone on so many other things.

And ofcourse theres still more important things to pay for that I just couldn't give a fuck about because I'm idiotic and not prepared to be an adult. I've left paying for my New York trip too late, I hope I'll still be alowed on but who knows... I need to call my land lord and actually check that everyone else has paid their rent because otherwise we're fucked. I mean I just I dont want to deal with anything I want to waste my time playing videogames like a man child leave me alone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3161
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
I mean fucking cheques I hate cheques, can't I just give you the money or use the MAGICAL POWERS of the fucking internet and give it to you that way? No I have to write down on a piece of paper that you are alowed to take some of my money... can't I just give you the fucking money.
I feel this way exactly. Bills that I have to pay by check often don't get paid on time - not because I don't have the money but because, check? envelope? stamp? pen? I'm supposed to get all the stuff together in one place at the same time? I know that's bad but part of me feels like, if you want your money so damn bad you should wake up and smell the 21st century and get your ass online. My bills that I can pay online are never late.

Quote:
I mean I just I dont want to deal with anything I want to waste my time playing videogames like a man child leave me alone.
Well, honesty is a great virtue, so you can feel good about that at least! XD
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #3162
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Thing is I have plenty of money, its just that I squander it on too many pointless things and I think about how much better it could have been spent. Everytime I start a new cosplay for example I go way over budget and it ends up shit, and then I'll wear it once and never again. Whats even the point.
Why are you putting my thoughts in writ---- wait, no, those are your thoughts. I don't have anything constructive to help you with. I'm older than you are and guilty of everything you said in that post

Quote:
I mean I just I dont want to deal with anything I want to waste my time playing videogames like a man child leave me alone.
THIS.

In fact, I think I'll go wrap up SOCOM 2 before DKR at midnight tonight.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 07:16 PM   #3163
DireKitty
Captain Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
I feel this way exactly. Bills that I have to pay by check often don't get paid on time - not because I don't have the money but because, check? envelope? stamp? pen? I'm supposed to get all the stuff together in one place at the same time? I know that's bad but part of me feels like, if you want your money so damn bad you should wake up and smell the 21st century and get your ass online. My bills that I can pay online are never late.

Well, honesty is a great virtue, so you can feel good about that at least! XD
Yeah things by cheque are very problematic for me.... especially since it comes by mail and i have like under 15 days to pay it. Then I gotta go out and get stamps....

Anime North Reddit Community
DireKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #3164
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Well everything in my household was going along swimmingly until my mom got home and decided to be a huge bitch.
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:33 PM   #3165
smoreface

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Well everything in my household was going along swimmingly until my mom got home and decided to be a huge bitch.
It seems your mother and my fiance's mother need to become best of friends.
She is Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. One moment she is offering lemon cake and ice cream- next she is screaming at him over his mustache. What happened? (unless I'm prying, feel free to ignore.)