Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 109 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:18 AM   #3511
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
While I can understand her frustration, she really did need to do some research. Shipping is always expensive. Especially rush shipping.

I honestly doubt she understands how much work went into this. You're not a factory that can punch these suckers out in a day. I've made very small props myself, and they were exhausting to finish at my slow pace. Heck- I can't even imagine how much time you put into these, which honestly makes me appreciate your work all the more.

XDD I sure as hell wouldn't, at least not with a work frame of a week or two before the con. It takes that long just for regular (read: somewhat cheap) shipping. XD

But I hope you're not letting this whole thing get you down! Your work is amazing and that's why people commission you, including this ninny.
Well I would expect her to know considering the fact that she said she's commissioned so many people before and they got everything to her on time. They would have been there on time if she paid the 3-4 day shipping, but eh, can't do anything about it now. I'll just say that customer was probably the worst one I've had yet. That was a very stressful week considering I had other commissions to do also, but they're all done and my time has slowed down a bit, thank God O.O.

It did for a bit, but it helps having a lot of you supporting me which I thank you all (Sure not everyone will see this, but oh well : P). Luckily I've had no one be weary of me, I've actually had more people comment about my work and tell me their sorry that all happened.

https://www.facebook.com/ChergnomebylProps
Chergnomebyl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-15-2012, 11:28 AM   #3512
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Often times when someone suddenly realizes that the cost of a commission may end up more then they initially imagined that person may be unawares of just how much work goes into that piece.

STORY TIME:
I had $5 digital sketches going on for a short while in an effort to get some extra pocket money (stuff like this orthis) and it was clearly stated that the images where bust-portrait style, and I provided these examples to show the general style of what 'sketch' means.

I got one person who wanted a full body pose of an anthro character with her ass in the air and what not, and I worked for 3 days going over with them as often as I could and dealing with them constantly messaging me about it. I would explain that I need some time to work on it and I'll let them know when I am done. I would send a preview for approval and then continue on. when I finished they didn't like the pose and wanted a new one. Fine. I sighed and went on with it, copying the exact pose reference they gave me and wondering why they didn't do that in the first place. I finished, it was a full body pose, with simple prop (laptop that I drew to display the WIP of the drawing in small scale on the screen). After about 3 days of working on this, doing much more then I had outlined in my advertisement and feeling annoyed that I was passive aggressively told that 'Oh well, guess I'll pay for this pose I don't' like' the first time around I just wanted to be done with the commission. Well they still complained and said it was too 'scribbly'. I showed them how to turn the file layers on and off and that the file I provided had all the layers including the layout layers and wire frame-style one and that if they just turned off these base layers that they'd have a cleaner image. But even that was too sketchy. They wanted something smooth. They wanted LINE ART but didn't want to say it.

Line art goes for much more then $5.
The work I'd already DONE should have gone for more then $5 at that point. But I offered them a deal on doing the piece as Line Art, almost half off what I normally charge for Line Art and the $5 from the cost of the sketch could go into the overall payment for the Line Art.Their response?
"Oh well, I guess cleaner lines costs more".

Once I finished the commission I promptly took $5 sketches off my commission list.

I worked for what totaled around 4 days, with them messaging me regularly asking for updates when I was in the middle of drawing. Constantly revising things because they didn't provide a reference when I asked the first time if they had something specific in mind, and dealing with passive aggressive nonsense.

FUCK DAT NOISE.

At the end of the day I ended up taking the picture off my DeviantArt because I wasn't even happy with it myself, it felt like I was bullied into drawing this style that really isn't my own and I didn't feel comfortable with this giant-assed anthro dog chick in my gallery :|

If you REALLY want to see it, I can post it. it's not graphic or nude. Just...really NOT what I like to draw.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM   #3513
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugginsseller View Post
This actually was my first time commissioning someone from Canada...Not sure I want to do it again haha xD.
How much was shipping? When I got Megamind shipped out from GSTQ --- it ended up costing more than a hundred from the get-go from UPS, which was fine.

But once I got it, I had more than 200$ of customs fees attached to the package as well. All of this is pretty usually when shipping from the US to Canada. UPS only sounds cheaper on initial shpment, then they stack on the brokerage/customs fees.

I think it's all highway robbery though --- I order stuff from people in Europe, China, Germany for a fraction of what I pay if I order from the US :/
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2012, 11:35 AM   #3514
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
How much was shipping? When I got Megamind shipped out from GSTQ --- it ended up costing more than a hundred from the get-go from UPS, which was fine.

But once I got it, I had more than 200$ of customs fees attached to the package as well. All of this is pretty usually when shipping from the US to Canada. UPS only sounds cheaper on initial shpment, then they stack on the brokerage/customs fees.

I think it's all highway robbery though --- I order stuff from people in Europe, China, Germany for a fraction of what I pay if I order from the US :/
The rush shipping cost about $160-$180 each. I tried to find a lower one, but I couldn't.
The lowest I found was around $260 for both.

Lithium - I want to see the drawingggggggggggg.

Unread 08-15-2012, 11:46 AM   #3515
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
The rush shipping cost about $160-$180 each. I tried to find a lower one, but I couldn't.

Lithium - I want to see the drawingggggggggggg.
Holy crap that IS highway robbery. But it's not YOUR fault that it costs so much. That is totally out of your hands and it wouldn't have mattered how quickly or slowly the commission was completed, the cost would be the same and that's not anything you can control :\

HNNNGGGG.

Fine.
And this is the pose exactly as they wanted it based on some random mishmash they themselves threw together.

Apparently dogs also have rectangle shoe boxes for faces. Who knew.

When I drew it originally I had done the features more animal-like and appropriate for a dog with fur and the whole shebang but this is EXACTLY what they wanted me to do.

So I did it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-15-2012, 11:47 AM   #3516
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Since you likely don't have the setup that lets you export things without customs adding fees (Don't know the specifics) --- there are good chances the lowest option might add taxes or broker fees to it.

Rush shipping makes it totally worse too :/ But you don't have any control over that, as it's the US-based courriers the problem. Shipping stuff *to* the US from here is cheaper than the reverse XD
Unread 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM   #3517
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Since you likely don't have the setup that lets you export things without customs adding fees (Don't know the specifics) --- there are good chances the lowest option might add taxes or broker fees to it.

Rush shipping makes it totally worse too :/ But you don't have any control over that, as it's the US-based courriers the problem. Shipping stuff *to* the US from here is cheaper than the reverse XD
Yeah I figured that. The lowest it did go through UPS was $60-$80 for each, but it wouldn't have arrived in time. So of course that's why the price is so fiipping high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Holy crap that IS highway robbery. But it's not YOUR fault that it costs so much. That is totally out of your hands and it wouldn't have mattered how quickly or slowly the commission was completed, the cost would be the same and that's not anything you can control :\

HNNNGGGG.

Fine.
And this is the pose exactly as they wanted it based on some random mishmash they themselves threw together.

Apparently dogs also have rectangle shoe boxes for faces. Who knew.

When I drew it originally I had done the features more animal-like and appropriate for a dog with fur and the whole shebang but this is EXACTLY what they wanted me to do.

So I did it.
Well I could have controlled it if I had at least one more week, or magically took it out my butt like she wanted me to in 5 days. ~_~.

Awwh, well I'm sure your version was a lot better, it's too bad you didn't save it before they had to go in and start ruining everything for you. What a douche.
SO you stopped doing $5 drawings?

Unread 08-15-2012, 02:51 PM   #3518
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Well I could have controlled it if I had at least one more week, or magically took it out my butt like she wanted me to in 5 days. ~_~.

Awwh, well I'm sure your version was a lot better, it's too bad you didn't save it before they had to go in and start ruining everything for you. What a douche.
SO you stopped doing $5 drawings?
5 days to work on ALL THAT? Girl be trippin'

I don't know if I even have that file saved anymore :\ I kinda wish I did because it was actually like...good looking. It still wasn't my style or anything close to it, but I liked it FAR better then what I ended up doing.

Eh I go on and off with the sketches. Digital sketches like that are usually easier to do then traditional sketches simply because I need less supplies but now and then I get someone who'd like a portrait sketch done on bristol so on and off I'll do sketches again depending on if there is a demand for it and how desperately I need money @___@

Boyfriend's doing a bunch of discounted commissions right now because we're moving in a few weeks and I threw in that I'd be willing to do some discounted pieces as well.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:04 PM   #3519
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
5 days to work on ALL THAT? Girl be trippin'

I don't know if I even have that file saved anymore :\ I kinda wish I did because it was actually like...good looking. It still wasn't my style or anything close to it, but I liked it FAR better then what I ended up doing.

Eh I go on and off with the sketches. Digital sketches like that are usually easier to do then traditional sketches simply because I need less supplies but now and then I get someone who'd like a portrait sketch done on bristol so on and off I'll do sketches again depending on if there is a demand for it and how desperately I need money @___@

Boyfriend's doing a bunch of discounted commissions right now because we're moving in a few weeks and I threw in that I'd be willing to do some discounted pieces as well.
Well some people are picky douches, what can we do about it, right?

Well that's pretty neat-o that you do these things, is this commissioning job, the one you said is where you get your income from before? Because at first I was thinking, oh she makes costumes and what not?! I never knew! xD

That one drawing of the girl with the mice, the mice remind me of the ones off of coraline XD.

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:12 PM   #3520
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Well some people are picky douches, what can we do about it, right?

Well that's pretty neat-o that you do these things, is this commissioning job, the one you said is where you get your income from before? Because at first I was thinking, oh she makes costumes and what not?! I never knew! xD

That one drawing of the girl with the mice, the mice remind me of the ones off of coraline XD.
Right now I don't have a stable job, what bit of money I can make on the art commssiony stuff is how I make my dues. Both Boyfriend and I want to work solely with commissioning stuff and have that be our job, but that just won't pay the bills right now.

That's right! It was from Coraline! I loved the little mouse circus int he film so Boyfriend drew me (in my favorite shirt at the time) with the mouse band ^^
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:17 PM   #3521
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Right now I don't have a stable job, what bit of money I can make on the art commssiony stuff is how I make my dues. Both Boyfriend and I want to work solely with commissioning stuff and have that be our job, but that just won't pay the bills right now.

That's right! It was from Coraline! I loved the little mouse circus int he film so Boyfriend drew me (in my favorite shirt at the time) with the mouse band ^^
Do you sell drawings such as the ones you were drawing for everyone on here...like the gimpy one of me? XD
Oh understandable, I hope it all goes well and you get more people to commission you xO!

OHHHHHHHH yay! I love that movie...so they looked very familiar xD.

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:31 PM   #3522
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Do you sell drawings such as the ones you were drawing for everyone on here...like the gimpy one of me? XD
Oh understandable, I hope it all goes well and you get more people to commission you xO!

OHHHHHHHH yay! I love that movie...so they looked very familiar xD.
Haha thanks ^^

And those things? Naw those are just doodles! Not worth selling, I wouldn't sell little doodles like those :P Those are like 30 second scribbles.

I sell stuff like Prints , Mini canvases and Woodburns
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-15-2012, 03:36 PM   #3523
Chergnomebyl
Landshark

Quote:
Haha thanks ^^

And those things? Naw those are just doodles! Not worth selling, I wouldn't sell little doodles like those :P Those are like 30 second scribbles.

I sell stuff like Prints , Mini canvases and Woodburns

Of course : P. You should sell them in lots xD haha.

OUUU well I will take a gander at your fine establishment.
What's with the MLP obsession? O.O

Unread 08-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #3524
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Yeah I figured that. The lowest it did go through UPS was $60-$80 for each, but it wouldn't have arrived in time. So of course that's why the price is so fiipping high.
Unless you lie in the value of the package, they're going to add taxes and brokerage worth more than twice the value of the initial shipment (Not the one you entered, the one you paid to ship it). That's what UPS does.

Last edited by Kildread : 08-15-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Unread 08-15-2012, 04:36 PM   #3525
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
Unless you lie in the value of the package, they're going to add taxes and brokerage worth more than twice the value of the initial shipment. That's what UPS does.
I've sent a lot of "gifts" to Canada! XD
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote