Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 86 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #3706
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePopCulture View Post
don't want to talk about it anymore, but another thing i want to rant about is being unemployed and no i'm not sitting around doing nothing, the fact i've had 11 job interviews in the past 8 months means something, i'm submitting resumes, applications every week to different places
I've haven't even managed to get interviews. Keep at it.

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-21-2012, 08:57 AM   #3707
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I woke up to this: landing on my head courtesy of Luna.

It hurt. I'd rather she wake me up by cuddling with me, or meowing at me, not knocking hunks of plastic at me.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:15 PM   #3708
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Just pretend she really wanted to run a game of Mario Kart with you but you just wouldn't wake up.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:31 PM   #3709
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I've haven't even managed to get interviews. Keep at it.
and i've been applying for the simple, low-end, minimum-wage jobs, for example, McDonald's and Grocery stores, and other Fast-Food places, retailers such as Walmart, Target, Home-Depot, Lowe's, OSH, Best-Buy, Restaurant jobs by bussing tables or cleaning dishes, and there is too much competition even for those type of jobs
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #3710
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Just pretend she really wanted to run a game of Mario Kart with you but you just wouldn't wake up.
GURL THATS A PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER! Pffft! Don't you know anything?
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:00 PM   #3711
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Quote:
and i've been applying for the simple, low-end, minimum-wage jobs, for example, McDonald's and Grocery stores, and other Fast-Food places, retailers such as Walmart, Target, Home-Depot, Lowe's, OSH, Best-Buy, Restaurant jobs by bussing tables or cleaning dishes, and there is too much competition even for those type of jobs
That's because nearly anyone can do those jobs. More people = more competition. I'd recommend focusing on jobs to which you've got some connection, ANY connection--work that nepotism as hard as you're working the applications right now. In the meantime, look into ways to learn yourself some specialized skills.

When any schmuck can do a job and you're just another schmuck, you're half-screwed. Unscrew yourself by having something the other schmucks don't.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 01:44 PM   #3712
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
That's because nearly anyone can do those jobs. More people = more competition. I'd recommend focusing on jobs to which you've got some connection, ANY connection--work that nepotism as hard as you're working the applications right now. In the meantime, look into ways to learn yourself some specialized skills.

When any schmuck can do a job and you're just another schmuck, you're half-screwed. Unscrew yourself by having something the other schmucks don't.
Schmuck yeah, Mango!

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:00 PM   #3713
ILovePopCulture

Quote:

it sucks how you need a college-degree, college-education just to get hired at a job like those
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:03 PM   #3714
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
GURL THATS A PLAYSTATION CONTROLLER! Pffft! Don't you know anything?
The cat doesn't know!

It's not my fault Mario Kart is a Nintendo exclusive,cat.Take it up with the Shy Guy's.

Quote:
If you know a trade skill for example, that can get you in at businesses you might not have thought of previously. Having an 'in' at the place you are applying to will do more for you then you might think. Even if these are jobs that aren't really 'up your alley' if it's something to get you work then use that specialized skill or personal connection to get you in.

That said, I know not everyone may have these sources at their disposal and assuming that you're like most people who simply don't have something unique to bring to the table (or know anyone to get you in) I'll just be completely honest and tell you not to stop applying. I don't mean send in an application after a week of not hearing from them a week prior, but after a certain amount of time old resumes and applications just get sent to the bottom of the pile and calling in to speak to a manager and saying "Oh I put in an application a few weeks ago and was wondering if you still have a position available" shows that you have the drive for working and you take the job seriously.

Keep in mind that there's also going to be a turn over on new hires; people no-call-no-show on first days, people bail during their lunch breaks, and some people just right up quit after their first week at work. So reapplying to jobs you have before doesn't hurt.

The Office Max my Boyfriend used to work at went through something like half a dozen to ten new hires that just quit within their first week of work. One girl no-call-no-showed ON BLACK FRIDAY, when she came in again for her next shift they turned her away at the door. one guy went on his lunch break and never came back, didn't call to say he quit or anything he just bailed on his first day's lunch break.

So don't cross off a place if you don't hear from them the first time, people come and go in the retail and food service world every day. With the Holiday's coming up soon you might want to also look into places at your local mall, if you have one, since those places will be needed winter-holiday staff.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-21-2012, 02:14 PM   #3715
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
The cat doesn't know!

It's not my fault Mario Kart is a Nintendo exclusive,cat.Take it up with the Shy Guy's.

If you know a trade skill for example, that can get you in at businesses you might not have thought of previously. Having an 'in' at the place you are applying to will do more for you then you might think. Even if these are jobs that aren't really 'up your alley' if it's something to get you work then use that specialized skill or personal connection to get you in.

That said, I know not everyone may have these sources at their disposal and assuming that you're like most people who simply don't have something unique to bring to the table (or know anyone to get you in) I'll just be completely honest and tell you not to stop applying. I don't mean send in an application after a week of not hearing from them a week prior, but after a certain amount of time old resumes and applications just get sent to the bottom of the pile and calling in to speak to a manager and saying "Oh I put in an application a few weeks ago and was wondering if you still have a position available" shows that you have the drive for working and you take the job seriously.

Keep in mind that there's also going to be a turn over on new hires; people no-call-no-show on first days, people bail during their lunch breaks, and some people just right up quit after their first week at work. So reapplying to jobs you have before doesn't hurt.

The Office Max my Boyfriend used to work at went through something like half a dozen to ten new hires that just quit within their first week of work. One girl no-call-no-showed ON BLACK FRIDAY, when she came in again for her next shift they turned her away at the door. one guy went on his lunch break and never came back, didn't call to say he quit or anything he just bailed on his first day's lunch break.

So don't cross off a place if you don't hear from them the first time, people come and go in the retail and food service world every day. With the Holiday's coming up soon you might want to also look into places at your local mall, if you have one, since those places will be needed winter-holiday staff.
I don't have much job or work experience either, and it's a catch-22, you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience if nobody will hire you, my most recent job was at Target last Fall, I got hired in October of last year for seasonal, holidays, unfortuneately, I was not given the option or choice to stay, my last date of employment there was on December 17th, the end of last year, been unemployed since, and i had perfect attendence at Target, was never late, always on time, never was tardy after breaks, etc.
Unread 08-21-2012, 02:31 PM   #3716
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I don't have much job or work experience either, and it's a catch-22, you need experience to get a job but you can't get experience if nobody will hire you, my most recent job was at Target last Fall, I got hired in October of last year for seasonal, holidays, unfortuneately, I was not given the option or choice to stay, my last date of employment there was on December 17th, the end of last year, been unemployed since, and i had perfect attendence at Target, was never late, always on time, never was tardy after breaks, etc.
Sounds like you where hired in for seasonal, which means sometimes you just don't keep the job when the season is up. I kept my seasonal job at Barnes and Noble for almost a full year because they liked me. (i had two customers purchase products from the store to give me as gifts ^^) but at my Kohl's position I was not kept on as seasonal and given merely a days notice of this.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are a good worker or not, if the store just doesn't need the extra staff you get the boot.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-21-2012, 02:38 PM   #3717
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

God I am so fucking bored. Wish I could knitt/crochet but can't do that one handed. Why em I one handed? Well I didn't look both ways before getting off the bus, and the bicyclist wasn't paying to much attention either. Learning real fast how much more I use my left hand over my right. This is so very annoying -sigh- guess I'll just take a nap and hope when i wake up someone \is online to torment.
Unread 08-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #3718
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
Sounds like you where hired in for seasonal, which means sometimes you just don't keep the job when the season is up. I kept my seasonal job at Barnes and Noble for almost a full year because they liked me. (i had two customers purchase products from the store to give me as gifts ^^) but at my Kohl's position I was not kept on as seasonal and given merely a days notice of this.

Sometimes it doesn't matter if you are a good worker or not, if the store just doesn't need the extra staff you get the boot.
and apparently, unfortuneately, it's easier to get hired for a seasonal job position than it is for a permanent job job position, whether it is full-time or part-time, i think retail employers are less picky, less choosy about hiring people around the holidays, as in they were more likely to settle on a candidate, experience and qualifications do not matter as much around the holidays as they do during the normal, non-holiday times of the year.
Unread 08-21-2012, 04:00 PM   #3719
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
and apparently, unfortuneately, it's easier to get hired for a seasonal job position than it is for a permanent job job position, whether it is full-time or part-time, i think retail employers are less picky, less choosy about hiring people around the holidays, as in they were more likely to settle on a candidate, experience and qualifications do not matter as much around the holidays as they do during the normal, non-holiday times of the year.
Finding full time work right now is extremely difficult. Part-time less so but for the vast majority of the folks applying for work who have no personal connections or skills that can't really be put into jobs that they need ASAP it's kind of the only way to go. I do recommend giving Barnes and Noble a try if you have one around, I enjoyed working there and you get some damn nice discounts on the products.

Starbucks and the Mexican restaurant On The Border offer benefits for part time employees and you have the possibility of getting tips.

If you can get in at a Lowes or other hardware store during the summer months I'd recommend that. Boyfriend worked there at around $11.50/hr during the summer.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-21-2012, 04:20 PM   #3720
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
That sucks that you're having job trouble. It's extremely difficult to find work these days. :/ Maybe try changing your approach? How do you dress/act for an interview? My mom owns a restaurant, so I know a lot about how some business owners look for people to hire.

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote