Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 123 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:15 PM   #3736
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
Calling something the 'breakfast of champions' doesn't actually make it the breakfast of champions.

It's dust with milk.

Of course I eat it all the time but thats because I'm poor.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-22-2012, 08:30 PM   #3737
PsykoGerbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePopCulture View Post
I've even applied at 2 local temp agencies where i live, but no luck, something tells me i will have to start volunteering again
Keep after those agencies, and apply to more of them. Having been on both sides of that coin (the hiring manager and the applicant), I can tell you to keep calling them. Daily. "Hi! It's me! I'm available to work! Do you have anything?" Daily calls to them will pay off sooner or later. I've gotten my last three full time jobs through temp to perm, the last turned out to be a last-minute interview that turned into a direct hire. The job market bites. But the more you market yourself as available and eager, the better the chances you'll get something from it.

Some agencies are a lot better about permanent placements than others; you really have to chase after them.
PsykoGerbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 08:40 PM   #3738
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Lol wut?

And being that you're from America and Canadia I imagine your cereals are better than ours, because you've got those multicoloured dealies with more sugar than an average candy bar.

Over here we have shredded wheat which is... exactly that. Hmm tasty. Or there's wheat a bix which is different because... errr...
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:11 PM   #3739
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

This makes me wish I'd snapped a photo of the cereal aisle when I was in the grocery store. If you get your hands on it (I guess you don't have it in the UK?) I recommend a bowl of Nesquik. Seriously, just eat a chocolate bar for breakfast, it's about the same. But I got a box of that delicious junk every Christmas and every Easter as a kid (otherwise I usually had pretty healthy cereal growing up) and I SAVOURED it. (Heck, if you pay the shipping I'll gladly supply you with Canadian sugar/cereal. :P)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #3740
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsykoGerbil View Post
Keep after those agencies, and apply to more of them. Having been on both sides of that coin (the hiring manager and the applicant), I can tell you to keep calling them. Daily. "Hi! It's me! I'm available to work! Do you have anything?" Daily calls to them will pay off sooner or later. I've gotten my last three full time jobs through temp to perm, the last turned out to be a last-minute interview that turned into a direct hire. The job market bites. But the more you market yourself as available and eager, the better the chances you'll get something from it.

Some agencies are a lot better about permanent placements than others; you really have to chase after them.
also, i know that employment gaps on a resume, job application, unfortuneately look negative to hiring-managers, the longer a person is unemployed, the harder it will be to get hired, they will often wonder what the job-seeker has been up to, what has he or she been doing? I hate how they have to be so nosy like that, wish they would mind their own business
ILovePopCulture is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:30 PM   #3741
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

I have so many comments about how gross some of our cereals are, particularly those diet and 'health food' ones. While it might be reasonable to say that they taste like cardboard, I almost want to say cardboard is better.
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #3742
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Kashi is the worst 'healthy cereal' in the world. Someone shaped pieces of cardboard like chunks of cereal and called it a day.

I like Honey Nut Cheerios.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:33 PM   #3743
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm not disagreeing that the "uber-healthy' cereals that are like seven bucks for a tiny box taste gross. I HATE granola-based cereal, mainly because it doesn't absorb the milk at all like normal ones, and it tastes/feels like I'm eating dry grain with a sip of milk. And then the flavours are usually nasty as shit. My typical cold cereals are honey-nut or multigrain cheerios, honey bunches of oats, and froot loops.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 08-22-2012 at 09:38 PM.
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:38 PM   #3744
StarsCASSiOPEiA

Honey Nut Cheerios = THE BEST.

Certain Kashi ones are okay, some are really awful; agreed. Personally, the Special K ones are the ones that I consider the worst. (Throwing in chocolate and berries helps, but... you really need a lot to hide the awful flakes).
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:40 PM   #3745
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I like regular special K cereal. It always just tasted like rice krispies to me. I ate it a lot when I was a kid (I didn't get to pick most of the cereal, and for a while Mom was buying it...). So am I just a total minority there, or do they have a whole bunch of new styles under the same name?
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:45 PM   #3746
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
That's because nearly anyone can do those jobs. More people = more competition. I'd recommend focusing on jobs to which you've got some connection, ANY connection--work that nepotism as hard as you're working the applications right now. In the meantime, look into ways to learn yourself some specialized skills.

When any schmuck can do a job and you're just another schmuck, you're half-screwed. Unscrew yourself by having something the other schmucks don't.
also, speaking of connections, my best friend since middle-school works at Home-Depot, has been working there for 2 years now, i've been trying to get hired there, i managed to get 2 interviews at Home-Depot this year, 1 in January, and 1 in April, both different locations each-time, because you know how people say, "it's not what you know but who you know", but apparently it was not enough to get me hired
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #3747
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILovePopCulture View Post
also, speaking of connections, my best friend since middle-school works at Home-Depot, has been working there for 2 years now, i've been trying to get hired there, i managed to get 2 interviews at Home-Depot this year, 1 in January, and 1 in April, both different locations each-time, because you know how people say, "it's not what you know but who you know", but apparently it was not enough to get me hired
Keep in mind that if your friend may have given you a bad rap, or may not be the most reliable employee themselves that connection may mean nothing. Sometimes it really won't matter who you know if they're not in a position of power.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 08-22-2012, 09:49 PM   #3748
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...

Any cereal without honey or nut in the name isn't worth the effort. Any cereal with both is perfect.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:03 PM   #3749
StarsCASSiOPEiA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I like regular special K cereal. It always just tasted like rice krispies to me. I ate it a lot when I was a kid (I didn't get to pick most of the cereal, and for a while Mom was buying it...). So am I just a total minority there, or do they have a whole bunch of new styles under the same name?
The kind I'm referring to looks kinda like Frosted Flakes or Corn flakes, but is this weird tan-brown colour.
Unread 08-22-2012, 10:05 PM   #3750
ILovePopCulture

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Keep in mind that if your friend may have given you a bad rap, or may not be the most reliable employee themselves that connection may mean nothing. Sometimes it really won't matter who you know if they're not in a position of power.
i don't know if he is one of the most valuable or reliable employees at Home-Depot, but i doubt he would give me a bad rep, why is it a possibility he would be giving a bad rep?