Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-17-2012, 01:53 PM   #4126
Lithium Flower
Handphones

As a whole how we treat our lucky abundance of food is pretty shitty.

But I am far too tired to discuss it with any sort of intelligence right now. Ironically, I haven't eaten today and it being 2pm and all I probably should go do that.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-17-2012, 02:47 PM   #4127
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
But use the race card is another thing.
While most of the racial things she spewed at me were ment to be offensive, it only backfired because im a pacific islander of Fijian decent not African american. However its not appropriate for anyone to say "those" things at all. Im glad it was empty that hour otherwise it would have cause a even greater problem with people other than me that unlike me, would have possibly attempted something.

Quote:
This is America land of the free and our restaurants should be free too. However do I take these feelings and fling it at some helpless cashier or waitress? Nope, if I want to vent to the company I'll either email the comment, or call the number and comment to a person who is paid to listen and take that type of abuse (though you still shouldn't).
I wish at that time the lady have taken that route rather than let it all pop off only to save
embarrassment on both of us (with me being embarrassed that all my co-workers were asking "are you okay?") and with her well...the way she handled seeing the menu...
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Toshirua- I'm so sorry that you had to handle that... But doesn't the woman know that practically all fast food places have to list the nutritional value now? I believe they started doing this because believe it or not some people sued for mcdonalds making them or their children "overweight"
I wasn't aware that all fast food places had to put the calorie intake on their board menus...
(board menus are the menus you see when you come in above the front counter) I only knew that they had to put it on the back of boxes and wrappers that the products in.
but then again i live under a rock with multiple game consoles and often things not particularly pertaining to the news...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I am sorry you had to be in the path of her anger.
Thanks; but its okay because the situation was still handled at the time in the best possible way. I can't say i know what shes going through because im not a mother nor have i had a eating disorder or met anyone personally that has went through that. Never the less i can still slightly sympathize with her. I only say slightly because realistically im not involved with her situation.

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #4128
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Toshirua- This is america... land of "if it's not in your face at all times it doesn't exist" remember? =P
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2012, 10:52 PM   #4129
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by toshirua3846384 View Post
While most of the racial things she spewed at me were ment to be offensive, it only backfired because im a pacific islander of Fijian decent not African american. However its not appropriate for anyone to say "those" things at all. Im glad it was empty that hour otherwise it would have cause a even greater problem with people other than me that unlike me, would have possibly attempted something.
You'd get along nicely with my Cambodian co-worker. Everyone keeps assuming he's Indian because he's so dark. Don't see how they can miss he's Asian with how clear and defined his facial features are.

Though the other day someone left me confused asking about my "other black co-worker" before I realized he was referring to Dara.
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:26 PM   #4130
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
Toshirua- This is america... land of "if it's not in your face at all times it doesn't exist" remember? =P
Yea i know lol. This is more of rude awakening to me (literally) as for 19 straight years of my life i live on military bases in till i moved to Texas, so that "type" of behavior pretty much doesn't exist not unless you really want to get reported and later if it happens again demoted to a lower pay grade. But like a lot of things im still getting used to seeing and dealing with that type of stuff.

Quote:
You'd get along nicely with my Cambodian co-worker. Everyone keeps assuming he's Indian because he's so dark. Don't see how they can miss he's Asian with how clear and defined his facial features are.

Though the other day someone left me confused asking about my "other black co-worker" before I realized he was referring to Dara.
Hmm maybe so. My features aren't that clear because i wear glasses, and because of the uniform i have to wear a hat. Besides my eyes and my hair i have to say i think im a dead give away that im not what most people assume. However i notice even though i take my time and properly explain "what i am, and where i hail from" people around here still assume im still what they think originally. I guess its because of the mindset they were raised with that tells them "pretty much anyone with brown skin has to be either african american or at least part." But then again you can't really hold it against most people that think that way, because most people

A.) Have not been to where im from
B.) Have not even heard of the place "Fiji", save for the water or survivor
C.) Have not met a lot of people who are "pacific islanders" which most confuse with just being of Asian decent.

But then again it only matters little to me, the way i was raised "race" and "gender" are just
labels to either help or hinder me. In my family we push more emphasis on the individual and what we can accomplish. Can't really speak for anyone else. Must be because our family is military. So that helps in some ways.

I would have to say i would have been "offended" if my name was brought into that ladies rambling, only because shes addressing "me" you know?

-->( v O x O)O"
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:48 PM   #4131
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Don't be silly. White people can't tell non-white people apart. All we know is you're either 'from a scary place brown' or 'mystical shaman brown'.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #4132
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I actually surprise a lot of people by being able to guess, usually correctly, where they're from. If they're speaking another language I can usually figure out what they're speaking (I love studying languages) and then figure it out from there. And working FOR Asians for a year and a half, I've gotten pretty good at being able to tell Chinese, Japanese, Koreans and southeast Asians (Vietnam, Cambodia, etc.) apart.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:03 PM   #4133
RoMayDrako
Happy Now?

Quote:
Don't be silly. White people can't tell non-white people apart. All we know is you're either 'from a scary place brown' or 'mystical shaman brown'.

Oh shit I just fell off the chair laughing.

oh and toshirua3846384 not every dark skinned person is African. I don't like using the term but I learned this the hard way.Though I got into an interesting arguement about the fact I won't use the term aferican american anymore because their not all aferican.

Last edited by RoMayDrako : 09-18-2012 at 01:06 PM.
RoMayDrako is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:18 PM   #4134
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I really don't like the "supposed continent of origin"-American titles thanks to this overblown PC age. I'd be more offended if someone just grouped me as "well they're skin's this colour so they're from there" than just said white, hispanic, black, etc. My downstairs neighbour gets PISSED if you call her African-American/Canadian; she's not, at all. She's from Jamaica, and her family has no known roots in Africa. She says "If you don't know where I'm from, you can call me black or caribbean". And heck, how about just "American"? If you were born in the country and follow most of its culture, you don't need constant use of a hyphen as to where you came from. My family came from England and Scotland over a hundred years ago and you don't see me referring to myself as English-Canadian. I'd only do that if I'd just come from there to Canada myself. (Sorry for the flipflopping between American and Canadian. I'm Canadian but I hear a lot more of the ___-American labelling than ___-Canadian.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 09-18-2012 at 02:03 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:47 PM   #4135
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:

oh and toshirua3846384 not every dark skinned person is African. I don't like using the term but I learned this the hard way.Though I got into an interesting arguement about the fact I won't use the term aferican american anymore because their not all aferican.
This reminds me of a bit from Venture Bros, when the character Jefferson Twilight describes his job as "Blackula Hunter", and another character asks "So you only hunt African-American vampires?".
"No, sometimes I hunt British vampires - they don't have 'African-Americans' in England"
Unread 09-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #4136
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Yeah, In England there is no "African-English" etc. On the census you state whether you are of African/Caribbean/Asian etc. descent, but in general conversation if you have lived here long enough to be an English citizen (and more importantly, if you wish to be referred to as English) then you are simply English. Of course, if the situation warrants it you can expand on that to describe your ancestry. If people really need to specify colour, then you are just a white guy, or a black guy. Etc. Nothing too complex.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #4137
Lithium Flower
Handphones

What I hate is when the majority population makes choices about what language we should use to describe the minority population. This is not confined to just race, it's spans to sexual orientation, those with disabilities,those with emotional or behavioral struggles and everything in between.

'African American' is segregating black people from white people by coming right out and saying they're not just 'American'. They're other-American. They're different-American. They're not just 'American' like us. We make sure people know that they're Japanese-American, because we wouldn't want to get them confused with us regular ol' American folks or something. White people don't get asked what KIND of American we are, because we're just American. We're not Irish-American, or British-American (IRONY, I THINK SO) , we're just American.

The majority does not get to decide what language we use to describe the minority.

We as the majority population don't get to say "No, you're called this because it makes us feel better saying these words instead of this one". Changing the language that we use is a way to just make the majority population feel better about discussing a minority.

If your neighbor wants to be known as Jamaican then we do so. We don't piddle around meaningless phrases to describe someones complex lineage because it makes the majority feel nice about themselves.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-18-2012, 02:28 PM   #4138
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator

Quote:
'African American' is segregating black people from white people by coming right out and saying they're not just 'American'. They're other-American. They're different-American. They're not just 'American' like us. We make sure people know that they're Japanese-American, because we wouldn't want to get them confused with us regular ol' American folks or something. White people don't get asked what KIND of American we are, because we're just American. We're not Irish-American, or British-American (IRONY, I THINK SO) , we're just American.
While I agree with everything you said Emmers, I think it's ironic that when I worked retail I actually had many customers ask me where I'm from, and then refuse to accept "I'm Canadian". Just Canadian, period, was not good enough, and it used to really bother me when they kept pushing like I hadn't understood the question.
"... no, where are your parents from?"
"They're Canadian, they were born in Canada."
"OK, your grandparents"
"CANADIAN".

That is my national/cultural identity. Yes, my ancestors came from somewhere else, but my family has been living in ths country for several generations (and in some cases, like Shinobi, well over a hundred years) and I don't have ties to anywhere else.

The thing is, I probably would have given the answer they were looking for if they'd phrased it as ancestry instread of repeating "No, I mean where are you from?"
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #4139
Lithium Flower
Handphones

To be honest, I am not at all familiar with the culture and diversity in Canada so I don't feel comfortable really commenting on it. Derp.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 09-18-2012, 02:52 PM   #4140
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
While I agree with everything you said Emmers, I think it's ironic that when I worked retail I actually had many customers ask me where I'm from, and then refuse to accept "I'm Canadian". Just Canadian, period, was not good enough, and it used to really bother me when they kept pushing like I hadn't understood the question.
"... no, where are your parents from?"
"They're Canadian, they were born in Canada."
"OK, your grandparents"
"CANADIAN".

That is my national/cultural identity. Yes, my ancestors came from somewhere else, but my family has been living in ths country for several generations (and in some cases, like Shinobi, well over a hundred years) and I don't have ties to anywhere else.
I went through something like that when i got my first state side job, but it mostly went like
this:
Co-worker: Where are you from?
me: Oh i was born in Fiji but my parents are Air Force so we travel around quite a bit.
Co-worker: Where around africa is that?
me: ( O x O)" umm its not in or around africa, its a island country in the south pacific...
Co worker: So where are your parents from?
me: My dads from fiji and my mum is from the federated states of Micronesia
Co-worker: looks completely lost and confused.
Co-worker: so does that mean your half african american?
Me: You know just don't worry about it....
Co-worker: Oh i get it thats around the west indies isn't it?
Me: ( O x O)....." ( at this point i really don't know what to say)

Quote:

oh and toshirua3846384 not every dark skinned person is African.
I know that, i was saying the people around here (where i live at) seem to kinda think that way. Even after when i say where im from. They're pretty much like "blink blink so does that mean your bi-racial....or what." then im pretty much like ( O x O)" im pretty sure i just told you that im Fijian and that i was born in fiji. And even with that i have been told " Hey i don't know where or what that is so im just going to call you black cause to me you look like one."<---- this happened about 2 months ago actually.

Quote:
What I hate is when the majority population makes choices about what language we should use to describe the minority population. This is not confined to just race, it's spans to sexual orientation, those with disabilities,those with emotional or behavioral struggles and everything in between.

The majority does not get to decide what language we use to describe the minority.

We as the majority population don't get to say "No, you're called this because it makes us feel better saying these words instead of this one". Changing the language that we use is a way to just make the majority population feel better about discussing a minority.

If your neighbor wants to be known as Jamaican then we do so. We don't piddle around meaningless phrases to describe someones complex lineage because it makes the majority feel nice about themselves.
^ this

-->( v O x O)O"

Last edited by toshirua3846384 : 09-18-2012 at 03:31 PM.