Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 121 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:07 PM   #4831
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I have pretty much the same opinion.

My Rant of the Day:

I have 8 hours the week of Christmas! 8! I'm not even working Christmas Eve! (Which is odd)
Several seasonal people are working 39 hours that week!
I think regular employees should take priority over seasonal as far as hours go.

Yay, things we agree on!

And I can certainly see why you're bothered. As someone who was hired for seasonal work for every retail job I've ever had I think I can explain why. When we're hired in for seasonal work we're specifically required to sign a statement that agree's we are here FOR SEASONAL WORK ONLY and therefore are not eligible for the seasonal pay that year-round workers would get.

We're hired specifically to work the seasonal hours that would normally mean paying a year-round employee time and a half or holiday benefits. Or at least at both BN and Kohl's this was the case.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
The bold part is all I'm implying.

The majority of folks commenting, don't have the information to speak about it --- don't know the causes of things and resharing the stories, the reposts of retouched pictures is not helping.

Neither is all the publicity and the blow-by-blow of every riveting discovery--- wait, I feel like I've typed stuff like that this year...
At this point all I know is that an adult man was trying to kill the principal and some children have been killed along with several injured teachers. I am not interested in speculation, especially when the lives of children have been taken. I am not interested in seeing photographs online of their bodies or crying parents. All I am interested in is what happens now.

The only thing I can say with absolute certainty at this point is that my deepest condolences go out to the families of anyone injured or killed and my best wishes to those who are or will be hospitalized.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2012, 03:10 PM   #4832
Yavarice
Skymoose

It sorta sounded, to me at least, that you said the kids that were killed were not innocent. O_O I know that has to be wrong right?
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:16 PM   #4833
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

We don't make anything extra at Christmas time! We only get time and a half on Sundays and like 3 holidays (New Year's Day, 4th of July, and I think Labor Day.)

If I was working after 5 on Christmas Eve I'd get an a whole extra dollar an hour. (Seriously, we close at 9. A whole 4 dollars extra). I'm taking a coworkers shift on Christmas Eve so now I'll have 14 or 15 hours, but I don't know what time yet.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:18 PM   #4834
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yavarice View Post
We obviously don't have all the information but I'm not quite sure what you're implying here.

What really annoys me is the media frenzy that goes on after something this terrible happens. Reporters jamming microphones into children's faces right after they have gone through something so traumatic should be fired.
Then again I can understand they are doing so because the audience demands it.

Vid from 2009
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PezlFNTGWv4
I mean aren't we part of the problem? Almost everyone on Facebook I know is discussing it and it seems to be the same here.

I don't know any details and I will avoid them for as long as possible, there's nothing I can do and I don't want to think about something like that. My sympathies to anyone hurt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:24 PM   #4835
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
It sorta sounded, to me at least, that you said the kids that were killed were not innocent. O_O I know that has to be wrong right?
I can promise you that is not what he meant.

I believe what he was trying to say is that people assume children are all perfect and innocent by merit of them being children, so when they commit a crime it's this wave of people in denial that a child could do something bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
We don't make anything extra at Christmas time! We only get time and a half on Sundays and like 3 holidays (New Year's Day, 4th of July, and I think Labor Day.)

If I was working after 5 on Christmas Eve I'd get an a whole extra dollar an hour. (Seriously, we close at 9. A whole 4 dollars extra). I'm taking a coworkers shift on Christmas Eve so now I'll have 14 or 15 hours, but I don't know what time yet.
That's really odd :\ Like I said before all the places I worked at I was hired specifically to work seasonal so they don't have to pay year-round workers holiday pay. I am not sure what to say except I am sorry you got the bum hours!
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 12-14-2012, 03:31 PM   #4836
Mykaios
Saving all the meguca's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post

I believe what he was trying to say is that people assume children are all perfect and innocent by merit of them being children, so when they commit a crime it's this wave of people in denial that a child could do something bad.

That's really odd :\ Like I said before all the places I worked at I was hired specifically to work seasonal so they don't have to pay year-round workers holiday pay. I am not sure what to say except I am sorry you got the bum hours!

I'm pretty sure I never got paid holiday pay at the job where I pulled doubles both on Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2010...but I also didn't look at my pay stub to check so yeah...
Mykaios is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:44 PM   #4837
Yavarice
Skymoose

Quote:

Gotcha, sorry I was confused because the shooter in this case was reported to be in 20's so not a child.
Yavarice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 03:53 PM   #4838
TheAnarCHris
Overrated

Quote:
In your defense, it was worded extremely poorly, so you're not wrong that it was sounded a little off. But like LF said, I'm sure he didnt mean to imply that.

The entire situation is effed though. I feel like the ball was dropped on several levels, and that fixing gun policies wouldn't be enough. Mental health care needs to be overalled SEVERELY, and the media...can we just do away with it somehow. I'm DISGUSTED with some of the stuff CNN/FOX/ABC/CBS/NBC have been doing for coverage/ratings.

My prayers go out to the families and people of CT(( and Portland)), but as a country, we ALL need to do something about this aside from making an angry FB post. There a petitions to be signed, and congressppl/senators to annoy.

"I think that a huge problem is people who read comics and don't understand the point of superheroes, which is to be the best version of yourself. You love Captain America? Well, you know what Captain America would never do? Go online anonymously and shit on a girl for having an opinion." -Brian Michael Bendis
TheAnarCHris is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 04:26 PM   #4839
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mykaios View Post

I'm pretty sure I never got paid holiday pay at the job where I pulled doubles both on Thanksgiving and Christmas in 2010...but I also didn't look at my pay stub to check so yeah...
Once I was on as a 'regular' employee I got time and a half at BN for working typical Holiday hours. Like Easter and Thanksgiving.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 12-14-2012, 06:04 PM   #4840
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Very upset about the shooting, more upset about the fact people are being disrespectful and caring more about gun laws.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 06:17 PM   #4841
Kildread
I can fix it!

I meant this:

Quote:
Within 2 hours, the internet went from no notice to an overload of pictures of people crying, messages about gun controls, innocents dying, "breaking news".

One of the most obnoxious messages I see spread from these is saying that all kids are innocent by virtue of their age.

Which is a lie.

Of course, this is hardly the time for this argument considering the current events --- I should have thought twice before posting that message in the short lapse of time I got back to the internet before going to the movies.

Last edited by Kildread : 12-14-2012 at 06:28 PM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:08 PM   #4842
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I meant this:

Within 2 hours, the internet went from no notice to an overload of pictures of people crying, messages about gun controls, innocents dying, "breaking news".

One of the most obnoxious messages I see spread from these is saying that all kids are innocent by virtue of their age.

Which is a lie.

Of course, this is hardly the time for this argument considering the current events --- I should have thought twice before posting that message in the short lapse of time I got back to the internet before going to the movies.
Yeah, sure is time to get annoyed at the language people use when they're reporting a slaughter at a fucking elementary school.

This above comment aside, I'm staying away from talking about the shooting, because it hit way too close to home for me. I'm avoiding Facebook entirely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:16 PM   #4843
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Yeah, sure is time to get annoyed at the language people use when they're reporting a slaughter at a fucking elementary school.
Yeah, this is again another event where I need to shut up in front of emotional outbursts.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 07:24 PM   #4844
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Yeah, this is again another event where I need to shut up in front of emotional outbursts.
It's not just you. I got annoyed at a news reporter for using the words "unthinkable" and "inhuman" while describing events, but then realized I was being a nitpicking twat.

EDIT: One last thought: the second worst thing about today? No one will care about it in two weeks' time at the most. Mark my words.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...

Last edited by sam vimes : 12-14-2012 at 07:35 PM.
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #4845
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
EDIT: One last thought: the second worst thing about today? No one will care about it in two weeks' time at the most. Mark my words.
Never mind the fact that nobody cares if it's in a foreign country. A similar rampage happened in China today.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote