Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 01-10-2013, 02:12 PM   #5086
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
As you continue your journey into diversity awareness and sensitivity, please be advised that that word is considered very, very racist and derogatory in some parts of the world. Canadian Inuit people, for example, consider it a serious insult on par with the "n" word. In Alaska and other areas it does not have the same negative connotation, but you should know that there are many Inuit people (and non-Inuit people) who have strong feelings about the use of that word.
Bolded part for reals yo.

I get that for white people there pretty much is not a single racial word to describe us that offends us (we are so untouchable by racism that there isn't even a racist word to describe white people that we find offensive, the one word that's out there we think is hilarious) , but that isn't so for everyone else.

On that topic I want to clear up something; The term 'cracker' is not a reference to white people being pale like crackers. It came from when white people owned slaves and is referring to the sound of cracking a whip.

I just figured this conversation might go down a route like this so I am throwing that little tid bit out early on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
I love you Emmers.

I love Old Navy's clothes. I live in their short sleeved shirts, tank tops and sundresses all summer. I'm wearing an old navy shirt I've had for years as I type this. (Making myself pretty for my date tonight). And I'm pretty consistent in my sizing there - 2x tops, sometime 3x, depending on the bust, 20-22 bottoms. So I rarely have returns. But this is just ANNOYING. And it turns out we just missed their 45 day return, so we may not be able to return it.
My mom is going to call.
And Emmers loves you!

I love Old Navy stuff, I am on the 'smaller end of the fat spectrum' and wear around a size large for shirts (maybe a medium if the fabric is kinda flowy and not fitted) and I wear a size 14 in their jeans (maybe a 12, but this is the first pair I own so I am not sure how drastic of a difference their sizing is so I aired on the side of caution and grabbed a 14). Considering how many in store sales go on for extremely short periods of time I think it's bullshit that I couldn't participate in that and spend my money in their store if I was a size 20. If I can find a size 14 on the racks without a problem I should be able to find a size 20 and up.

Quote:
I don't usually think you're trolling, but by God, you must seriously be trolling here. It's okay to disrespect the feelings and opinions of live, actual, real people, but it's a problem when it's disrespectful to a character? Think about that for a minute, will you?
Do not test the sanctity of animu, Penny. That serious stuff you know? Now you're just going after a mans god.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2013, 03:39 PM   #5087
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
On that topic I want to clear up something; The term 'cracker' is not a reference to white people being pale like crackers. It came from when white people owned slaves and is referring to the sound of cracking a whip.

I just figured this conversation might go down a route like this so I am throwing that little tid bit out early on.
I never knew that.

The only other term I'm aware of besides cracker is fishbelly, but it's not at all effective or insulting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5088
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
I never knew that.

The only other term I'm aware of besides cracker is fishbelly, but it's not at all effective or insulting..
Yea I learned that because some cattle ranchers in florida still are referred to as crackers because they use bullwhips to goad the cows in the right direction.
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 03:59 PM   #5089
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
I never knew that.

Ignorant honky.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:10 PM   #5090
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Ignorant honky.
I just smacked my forehead. Of course! Honky!

As you can see, white people have their world shattered when they are called things.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:14 PM   #5091
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
I just smacked my forehead. Of course! Honky!

As you can see, white people have their world shattered when they are called things.
Where does honky come from?
Unread 01-10-2013, 04:22 PM   #5092
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
As a whole, no one really knows for sure. Here's a list of possible origins for it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #5093
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
As a whole, no one really knows for sure. Here's a list of possible origins for it.
I dunno how it's supposed to be insulting, it doesn't even have a reason...
Unread 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #5094
chibierwin
Tall Little Freak

Science Fair. That is all.
In Progress: Syaoran: Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles/ Yusuke Urameshi (Dark Tournament): Yu Yu Hakusho/ Yoh (Revamp): Shaman King/ Jenos Hazard: Black Cat/ Teito Klein (Mourning Robes): 07-Ghost/ Kaito Sinbad: KKJ
chibierwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM   #5095
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieSundae View Post
I don't know but I love it.

There is no way in fuck I am reading through the last 3 pages of bullshit, I do not have the time for that.
Quote:
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5096
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
There is no way in fuck I am reading through the last 3 pages of bullshit, I do not have the time for that.
Little white girls don't know why painting themselves like other races is wrong and offensive. Que white girl bitching about people being offended by their offensive racist behavior.

Korra's imaginary race is based on the very real Inuit and Native American races. If anyone is wondering.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 01-11-2013, 11:16 AM   #5097
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

I thought QI told me that Eskimo was actually the more politically correct term rather than Inuit? Steven Fry wouldn't lie to me would he?
Quote:
Someone supply with a new descriptive label for Fullbleed. Hipster doesn't even cut it any more.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #5098
Angathol
harmony harmony
Canada Forums Moderator

Quote:
I thought QI told me that Eskimo was actually the more politically correct term rather than Inuit? Steven Fry wouldn't lie to me would he?
As Stephen Fry is frequently full of shit, yes, yes he would.
Angathol is evolving!
Congratulations! Your Angathol evolved into Independent Badass!
Future Costumes: Deedlit : Record of Lodoss War | Saber : Fate/Stay Night | Aya Shameimaru : Touhou Project | Nozomu Itoshiki : Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Angathol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 12:10 PM   #5099
Kildread
I can fix it!

For a moment, I thought I was on Tumblr and searched for the mention of "priviledge" on here as a matter of habit.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2013, 01:00 PM   #5100
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
It sure as hell isn't the case in Canada (where we also have more than the US due to more arctic land). The term for the two is also extremely different- eskimo derived from various southern native languages that meant "raw meat eaters", "they speak a different language" and "snowshoe wearers" (depending on the area). It has zero matching with the actual names of Subarctic and arctic tribes. Inuit, however, is the actual name of a sizeable amount of the population (and Inuit/Inupiat are the majority in Canada- aleuts and Yupiks , which are not Inuit and ddon't usually call themselves Inuit, are more in the Alaska area- and there they tend to just use "Native Alaskan" or "Aboriginal"), which means "The People" in Inuktitut. Which is what they've always referred to themselves as, not names coined by other tribes or Europeans.

And to top that off, the Canadian government DOES NOT use the word "Eskimo". It is Inuit on all documents, treaties, constitutions, etc. If you call Inuit Eskimo here it's usually considered extremely insulting.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote