Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 106 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #5191
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Well, by kid I meant like 18 year old college boy. So, the emotional maturity of a seven year old.
Impressive. It takes a lot to act like a 7 year old when your a grown ass college student.

Out of all the things he could have been accusing you of not knowing, Dr.Who is kind of a stretch. Like, it's a HUGE franchise at this point. Even if you only have seen the recent seasons, it's huge. It isn't like you had some obscure foreign character keychain; even if you've never seen Dr.Who people still recognize the tardis and know what it's from.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:00 PM   #5192
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I know! Most people recognize the TARDIS.
Since I put it on my bag I've had more people say "ooh look! A TARDIS!" at school.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:08 PM   #5193
Bisected8
panificium delicatum sum

I wonder if anyone's ever mistaken a model TARDIS for a model police phonebox...

To do; Dark Link (70%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM   #5194
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Quote:
I have a little TARDIS on my bookbag. It's plush and it "talks" when you squeeze it.

Today on the bus back to the parking lot a kid on the bus saw it and asked me "Do even you even WATCH Doctor Who or did you just think that was cute. I bet you don't even know what that is."
To which I responded: "Actually, I DO watch Doctor Who. I love the TARDIS, or as she prefers to be called 'sexy'." And then I went back to texting my mom.

He went "humph" and went back to his iPod.

I think I was accused of being a fake geek girl.
Omg... now we must fervently blog about this and slowly slip in to misandry. Fun times ahead for us.

Tell him he is a lump of undigested fat
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #5195
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I know! Most people recognize the TARDIS.
Since I put it on my bag I've had more people say "ooh look! A TARDIS!" at school.
Reminds me of the older guy who came to our artist alley table last Youmacon. I had a drawing up of Roll, who's from the Megaman series. The style I drew her in was similar to the way she's drawn in the Tatsunoko vs Capcom fighting game.

This older guy points it out at the table and goes:

"That's Roll."

"Yeah it is!"

"She looks like the fighting game version"

"Haha yeah I suppose so"

'I bet that's the only place you've seen her from. I bet you don't know what she's from"-gives me an arrogant glance-

"...No. Roll is from Megman which is much older than Tatsunoko Capcom..."

He just made a weird sound and walked away looking mad.

Here's the thing, outside of people who really follow fighting games who really knows much about Tatsunoko vs Capcom? Hardly anyone. Even people who are into fighters don't seem to know it, mainly because it almost didn't even get a US release because of all the different characters involved and copyright stuff blah blah blah.

But most people know who Megaman is. Even if they don't know Roll specifically, Megaman is a pretty big franchise even in the states.

So out of the two things he'd give me the 'benefit of the doubt' to know about, why the more obscure one?
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-04-2013, 06:16 PM   #5196
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
I wonder if anyone's ever mistaken a model TARDIS for a model police phonebox...
Probably.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #5197
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

Quote:
I have a little TARDIS on my bookbag. It's plush and it "talks" when you squeeze it.

Today on the bus back to the parking lot a kid on the bus saw it and asked me "Do even you even WATCH Doctor Who or did you just think that was cute. I bet you don't even know what that is."
To which I responded: "Actually, I DO watch Doctor Who. I love the TARDIS, or as she prefers to be called 'sexy'." And then I went back to texting my mom.

He went "humph" and went back to his iPod.

I think I was accused of being a fake geek girl.
No girl is safe from being accused of being a fake geek. Even Natalie Portman was accused of being a fake Star Wars fan even though she was actually in it.

I remember when I was in high school I wore an InuYasha t-shirt to school. A guy actually asked "Do you even watch that show?" However the guy did apologize and we ended up being casual friends.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:25 PM   #5198
belligerent
Viking Metal

Hrgh. Katsucon is not my favorite con right now. Been trying to get in contact with the AA staff for months with no response. Apparently it's the same for everybody with questions.

To further intensify my frustration, I was sent an email from the panels staff telling me my panel had been removed from the "waitlist..." When previously both of my panels had been "accepted." WTF? I was never on a waitlist and what happened to my other panel?
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 09:50 PM   #5199
Khorrupt

I need to stop being such an uncomfortable person to talk to. It's like, da fuq is a compliment? What are you supposed to do with a compliment? :/

I've been wearing hairpieces lately because I'm really sick of waiting for my hair to get long (if I flat-iron it, it's about chest-length, but since it's so curly, it's only like, BARELY collarbone length.) I also am just a huge lens fanatic, so I was wearing one of my really long hairpieces (makes a high ponytail that goes all the way down to mid-back) and some brown lenses, and someone told me, "Hey, I love your hair! And your eyes!"

And my first instinct is to blurt out, "Oh, neither of them are real."

WHY CAN'T I EVER JUST SHUT UP AND SAY THANK YOU?
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-04-2013, 10:08 PM   #5200
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
No girl is safe from being accused of being a fake geek. Even Natalie Portman was accused of being a fake Star Wars fan even though she was actually in it.

I remember when I was in high school I wore an InuYasha t-shirt to school. A guy actually asked "Do you even watch that show?" However the guy did apologize and we ended up being casual friends.
Pretty much. For some reason it's extremely shocking to many guys that anyone with a vagina (or identifies as female, for the matter) could possibly be into anything remotely geeky. ._. On multiple occasions, guys (and sometimes other girls) have drilled me on facts from whatever series I express a like of, as if they're "testing my knowledge".

The last time I tried to talk to one of my guy friends about Super Mario Sunshine, it was almost like playing twenty questions. .___. "What's your favorite area? What's your favorite level title? What hidden red coin mission was the hardest for you? What was your favorite miniboss? Which FLUDD nozzle is your favorite?" He just looked at me in what appeared to be disbelief as I answered his questions in detail. =3=

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:13 PM   #5201
toshirua3846384
take your fail and leave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish-and-Chips-Yum View Post
The last time I tried to talk to one of my guy friends about Super Mario Sunshine, it was almost like playing twenty questions. .___. "What's your favorite area? What's your favorite level title? What hidden red coin mission was the hardest for you? What was your favorite miniboss? Which FLUDD nozzle is your favorite?"
After all of that i would have asked "Why are you asking me all of this?" I think its pretty obvi that i played this game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
No girl is safe from being accused of being a fake geek..
I think some women are safe from being accused of this, however the problem with the ones that aren't considered "fake" (in my opinion from what ive seen and delt with), usually lies with superficial reasoning on the accusers part. Like

1. She's plain, not attractive, and has a unkempt appearance so she must be nerd.
I've never dealt with this, however some of my female friends have when they go out and
about with their series gear apparel. Annoyingly based on how they're "physical appearance" deems wither or not they're safe from this.

2. She's a minority and if shes reading, wearing, saying or engaging in anything nerdy she must be a nerd by default .
For example the last con i went to when i was waiting in line for a panel to start, i started a conversation with two guys. We talked about games and stuff then a bit later the conversation flipped to this topic. I remember asking if i "fit" the fake geek girl stereotype. Guy A said hes never knew any "black people" that went to cons. Guy B proceed to back him up saying that "usually if you see any black people at cons they're usually into games and anime and stuff." So pretty much they told me to my face, since im not white i don't qualify for being called "fake. I was pretty annoyed but then again not surprised. Only because any anime/gamer club or meetup i went to when i moved over here always seemed a bit taken back in a sort away that someone like me would like any hobby like games/anime/etc. So in a way im used to it.

tl:dr I really wish this "fake geek girl" thing will end, it has caused me much frustration with interacting with people in the anime/gamer community.

-->( v O x O)O"
toshirua3846384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #5202
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Here is the offending TARDIS:

It is pretty cute.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #5203
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Well FUCK. My boyfriend got me a MLP t-shirt intended to be a Xmas present back in November...I only now got it due to him not having room in any other packages or his suitcase to get it to me earlier. So it was three-month wait for it, and guess what? IT'S TOO FUCKING BIG. I can't hope to wear it and not look like an utter slob because I'm practically swimming in it (and the neck is tight as hell to me so sleeping in it would both be a waste of a new shirt and not be comfy enough). And it's way too damn late to return it for the right size. Now what the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm stuck with a brand new MLP t-shirt that I can't even wear, and I don't have any real options for selling it to someone else (since coscom doesn't allow noncosplay items, I'm not making an ebay account to only ever sell a single thing and it's a slim to none chance of it going on kijiji, none of my friends into MLP would fit it, and I already cleared out my surplus/unwanted geeky items at last year's nominoichi.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2013, 03:42 PM   #5204
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Now what the fuck am I supposed to do? I'm stuck with a brand new MLP t-shirt that I can't even wear.
SOLUTION EMMERS ON THE SCENE!

Grab one of your shirts that you like the fit of.
Lay it on top of the shirt that's too big.
Now you can use that shirt as a 'pattern' to cut the bigger shirt to size.
Then all you have to do is sew up the seems on the side.

If the neck is too tight you could open it up using the same method only with a shirt that has the kind of neckline you like the fit of.

If the design on the shirt is very big you might either have to accept cutting off part of the design or cut as close to the edges of the design as you feel comfortable with. Remember to leave some extra for when you sew the edges shut though.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 02-05-2013, 03:52 PM   #5205
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I thought about taking it in, but I don't even think it's possible to do without mangling it. EVERYTHING but the neckhole is huge on me and to make things harder, there's no side seams on the shirt, which means there's practically no way to take it when everything needs to be a full size smaller. And I don't have a serger for nice professional-looking t-shirt seams.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote