Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 116 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-07-2013, 12:41 PM   #5731
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arc_The_Lad View Post
Death of loved ones can bring the worst out of all of us, it's a sad truth.

On the other hand, if a killer does his/her time and tries to turn around his/her life, it's a great step in the right direction if we would all just use the word "forgive".
I would understand more if the hostility was coming from people who were directly affected by the actions of the Tsarnaev brothers. And, I mean, I'm not condoning anything that was done, I just don't understand why it would be so hard to understand where their father was coming from.

But some of the people I work with are very typical cross-sections of American culture and are very, er... predictable in their reactions to certain events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
For the love of....
For the last two days every single time I've gone into the bathroom I've come out to girlfriend's sister just standing there, waiting. Which is as creepy as it sounds. I think she's afraid to knock (the door doesn't latch tight) but she could knock on the frame, or say "Luna, I'm out here" or SOMETHING. And it's every time I go in. I got home from work 10 minutes ago, went in to change and there she was.
3am? There she is.
5 times yesterday? Yup.

I know she's not doing it on purpose but still... And I'm sure she's thinking "Every time I have to pee, Luna's in the bathroom"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
That's super awkward and creepy but kinda funny because you're probably right in that it's just weird coincidences that draw you together for bathroom shenanigans.

One time, when I was still living with Brando's folks, his dad thought that I was Brando's brother hogging the bathroom because he didn't realize that his brother had left and I just had to pee so he thought his brother was in the toilet for like, 20 minutes, and started knocking on the door yelling at 'Justin' to get out of the bathroom.

I was mid poop and didn't have the heart to reply so when I opened the door his dad just looked SUPER guilty and said "Oh".

His brother used to spend like, an hour and a half talking a shower each morning so by the time he was done everyone had to take a pee and was knocking on the door to get him to hurry up.
Living with family is terrible. Living with other people's families is worse. Then you make your own family and after a couple of years you can't wait for all of them to get out of your life.

Sometimes I wonder if humans are really social creatures or we just pretend we are.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #5732
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

My computer won't load coscom. I had to use my phone to get here. So far it looks like I'm the only one with this problem. What's going on?!

Anime NebrasKon: Jane Porter (Disney's Tarzan) - Haruka Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura) - Lapras (Pokemon Gijinka) - Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 04:03 PM   #5733
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
Living with family is terrible. Living with other people's families is worse. Then you make your own family and after a couple of years you can't wait for all of them to get out of your life.

Sometimes I wonder if humans are really social creatures or we just pretend we are.
I would venture to claim that I am not a social creature, but I am generally an off-putting individual and I am not sure if my lack of social interaction is more a personality trait or forced isolation.

Brando's folks have indoctorned me as an honorary family member.
Which feels like an awful lot of responsibility; I am not even an honorary family member with my own blood relatives.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #5734
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by penny_dreadful View Post
We are social creatures.

Every single one of us is also selfish (How many people have you met that are truly selfless?) --- so, I'd wager that's the problem.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 05:31 PM   #5735
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Selflessness is a taught trait and there are very few people to teach it I recon.

With an ever expanding lifetime of information telling us that other people are thinking only of themselves I venture to guess we turn to selfishness as a means of self preservation.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 05-07-2013, 05:53 PM   #5736
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
We are social creatures.

Every single one of us is also selfish (How many people have you met that are truly selfless?) --- so, I'd wager that's the problem.
Developmentally we have to be social creatures to create a sophisticated identity; anything beyond the crude monkey needing to eat, drink, fornicate, piss and shit (typically in that order) is the conglomerate product of years of observing other people, determining what traits are attractive/appropriate/useful, internalizing them and finally figuring out how to mirror that back to other people, who will repeat the same process you just did. At least, that's what most developmental psychologists and sociologists will tell you.

But at the end of the day you're still alone in your own little existential experience and there's still those rudimentary, selfish compulsions pulling the strings behind the personality you constructed around it. I don't know which is more true, then, if we're social or solitary creatures when every human impulse I've experienced is ultimately in the pursuit of the betterment/satisfaction/fulfillment of myself. Altruism itself can be looked at as being inherently selfish and and and...

But I don't know what a truebl00, completely altruistic being would be like. I feel like it would be something very foreign and I would probably have a really hard time empathizing with it.

Last edited by Drysi : 05-07-2013 at 05:56 PM.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:17 PM   #5737
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysi View Post
But I don't know what a truebl00, completely altruistic being would be like. I feel like it would be something very foreign and I would probably have a really hard time empathizing with it.
It would go down like this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 09:42 PM   #5738
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

I'm a social anxiety creature...

Luckily our bladders have un-synchronized.

Last night she knocked on the door at 12 to tell Meghan something. I'm glad she knocked, so we could tell her not to come in. That would have been more awkward than the bathroom thing.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 10:13 PM   #5739
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by UsakoLuna View Post
Last night she knocked on the door at 12 to tell Meghan something. I'm glad she knocked, so we could tell her not to come in. That would have been more awkward than the bathroom thing.
GIGGIDY.

A couple times I've been glad Brando's old bedroom door had a lock on it.

Because his 4 year old niece isn't good with boundaries yet.

UM HONEY CHILD NOT NOW.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○

Unread 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM   #5740
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
GIGGIDY.

A couple times I've been glad Brando's old bedroom door had a lock on it.

Because his 4 year old niece isn't good with boundaries yet.

UM HONEY CHILD NOT NOW.
I wish the bedroom door locked...

She has either immpecable or awful timing depending how you look at it. That was not the first night she desperately needed to tell meg something (usually related to a TV/movie thing) when we were busy. And she always seems dejected when we tell her "not now".

Sorry sweetheart, somethings are more important than Sherlock.
My Cat's Tumblr
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:14 PM   #5741
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Yeah, I went through a phase as a young kid where I didn't knock at all on any door, including the bathroom... fortunately I snapped out of it in a few weeks.
(Also, I've had the same annoyances. Though Mom and her boyfriend are very early risers and are usually in bed at 9 pm compared to us at 1 or 2 am, we'll still get interrupted for SOMETHING. Oh, or the telemarketer one time. I just said "Screw off. Trying to screw" as soon as I got the usual staticky East Indian accent that takes ten seconds to as much as answer, and hung up on him. (Also had a very aggressive one when I was running late for school, high school mind you so not legal age TO buy things from phone vultures- er, telemarketers- and trying to get the fuck out the door. She wouldn't take "I'M LATE FOR SCHOOL, NOT INTERESTED" as an answer til I hung the fuck up on her.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 05-07-2013 at 11:24 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2013, 11:23 PM   #5742
belligerent
Viking Metal

Wow, TMI, all y'all.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite, Sha Gojyo
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:23 AM   #5743
evaunit01berser
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
My computer won't load coscom. I had to use my phone to get here. So far it looks like I'm the only one with this problem. What's going on?!
Your computer got IP banned
Unread 05-08-2013, 01:29 AM   #5744
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drysi View Post
Altruism itself can be looked at as being inherently selfish and and and...

Never fear, Andrew Ryan welcomes you in the Great Chain.

Bioshock reference aside --- I agree with every you said!

---

On the TMI piece --- I've lived alone for years, so I can't validate if I have a slightly exibitionist fetish in sharing 'I NEARLY GOT CAUGHT' on a public forum.

Totally can't relate with you guys!
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2013, 08:30 AM   #5745
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shana05 View Post
I'd PM admin.
My Cat's Tumblr