Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 114 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #46
JMG181

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
She says she's "focused on her career right now?" I'm calling b.s. One can always make room for a bit of slap & tickle.
Whats the point without the slap and tickle?
JMG181 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-02-2011, 10:06 AM   #47
Akiyhrah
She-Geek extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Aki- Oh hun.... that sounds like a sucky spot to be in indeed. I really hope things will sort themselves out in the end and honestly I really kind of hope you end up with your hearts desire and whatever will make you happy. The best thing you can do is hold on until you can really have a good talk with her.
Thanks <3 That's what I am hoping for too.

Quote:
She says she's "focused on her career right now?" I'm calling b.s. One can always make room for a bit of slap & tickle.
She really is though. She is a recording artist and she is working on her new album right now, and is starting a tour in the spring once her album is released. I'm not saying she couldn't work something out, but she's kind of at the 'make it or break it' stage of her career, so she is 100% focused on that right now.
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:44 AM   #48
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
There are no opportunities to do what I want to do here in Louisiana.
I can only be a receptionist or work in retail, and that's pretty much it. I could potentially do technical writing for an oil company, but I hate it so much.

It's becoming increasingly obvious that I'm going to have to move to NYC to work for a publisher. I applied to Knopf Doubleday today, and I fit every. single. requirement. I don't even know how I'd feel if I got it.
But I have no money for an apartment when I GET to NYC, and my boyfriend works here in Shreveport. I don't know what to do.
I love him very much, but I feel like I've given up my own dreams so he can work in news.

And I...don't want to be a receptionist!
It's not that I think being a receptionist is beneath me or something, it's that I know exactly what I want to do, and have wanted it since I was twelve. I want to work in book publishing. If I take a receptionist job, it won't lead anywhere that I want to go.

I'm sick of being limited by where I live. Especially since I know of twelve different job openings in publishing houses in NYC that I can apply for RIGHT NOW. There is nothing for me here.
I don't know what to do.

Ugh...
Sorry to be so whiny today.
I can relate. There's not a lot of opportunity here in Halifax either. I'm considering going into fashion design as a career, but I'm not sure if I can make a living off of it, given that my tastes (and designs) are not strictly mainstream. I know there's not much room here in Halifax, and I would have a better chance of finding my niche in NYC. But not only is there the high cost of living to contend with, for me there is also emigration, which is NOT easy, apparently.

There's also the worry that going back to school may do me no good, leaving me no better off than before. I end up being unable to make a living, working the same dead end job as before, only now being deep in student loan debt. I don't want to spend my life sitting on one jobsite after another, a glorified watcher-in-the-dark. I don't want my entire life to be lived in darkness, loneliness, and shadows. I live so much of my life, nowhere, literally in dark. I've got an active brain, it wasn't meant for just sitting on empty jobsites for hours at a time, staring into space. Seriously, my company boss has even made noise about forbidding guards to read books on duty, even when there is nothing else to do. Fuck. How do I get out of a life that's turned into a pathetic study in underachievement?
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #49
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I can relate. There's not a lot of opportunity here in Halifax either. I'm considering going into fashion design as a career, but I'm not sure if I can make a living off of it, given that my tastes (and designs) are not strictly mainstream. I know there's not much room here in Halifax, and I would have a better chance of finding my niche in NYC. But not only is there the high cost of living to contend with, for me there is also emigration, which is NOT easy, apparently.

There's also the worry that going back to school may do me no good, leaving me no better off than before. I end up being unable to make a living, working the same dead end job as before, only now being deep in student loan debt. I don't want to spend my life sitting on one jobsite after another, a glorified watcher-in-the-dark. I don't want my entire life to be lived in darkness, loneliness, and shadows. I live so much of my life, nowhere, literally in dark. I've got an active brain, it wasn't meant for just sitting on empty jobsites for hours at a time, staring into space. Seriously, my company boss has even made noise about forbidding guards to read books on duty, even when there is nothing else to do. Fuck. How do I get out of a life that's turned into a pathetic study in underachievement?
I know, right?
And I know for a fact that at the very least, NCAC would promote me immediately if I moved to NYC. Either that, or I could be an adjunct professor at one of the CUNY campuses. UGH.

Balls.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM   #50
SapphireChaos

My psychology teacher is getting on my nerves. I am a Christian and he is an atheist. I'm usually like "Don't push your beliefs on me and I won't push mine on you." And I don't care if he brings up a debate on it if it applies to our discussion, but lately he stats bringing up how God doesn't really exist even when it has NOTHING to do with the lesson. I wish he could just stick to the lesson and not bring faiths into a lesson that has nothing to do with it. Also, he won't even give people a CHANCE to argue their views.
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 03:12 PM   #51
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SapphireChaos View Post
My psychology teacher is getting on my nerves. I am a Christian and he is an atheist. I'm usually like "Don't push your beliefs on me and I won't push mine on you." And I don't care if he brings up a debate on it if it applies to our discussion, but lately he stats bringing up how God doesn't really exist even when it has NOTHING to do with the lesson. I wish he could just stick to the lesson and not bring faiths into a lesson that has nothing to do with it. Also, he won't even give people a CHANCE to argue their views.
You should speak to him privately after class and calmly explain your point of view. Maybe he'll listen to you?

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:07 PM   #52
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

This. Entire day has been a COMPLETE waste. I had planned to finish all my Xmas shopping, and get a few things for myself (embroidery floss for finishing a project, base boots for a cosplay, lotion, and some other things).

So I got delayed a whole hour even getting the hell out of the house, and it was raining and miserably cold. Bus is late, crammed full, and fucking STINKS. I finally get to the mall, and foolishly decide to take a 15-minute walk to Michael's. I'm Half frozen by the time I get there, and guess what I discover? THEY'RE OUT OF EVERY DAMN COLOUR OF THREAD THAT I NEED. I took a gigantic freezing walk, for NOTHING, and was so upset because of it that I almost yelled at the manager. Then I trek all the way back to the mall with hopes of finding the OTHER things I need. Xmas present for my boyfriend's sister? Nope, the stores all stopped stocking what I was going to get her. Base boots for cosplay? The only half-suitable pair I could find were way too expensive, and I was dejected enough that I couldn't be bothered to actively shop for any clothing items or such either. Everything else I was looking for? Well of COURSE not! If I could ever find anything, I'd have too damn easy a time, wouldn't I? And then while my starving, tired and near-tears self is dragging my feet through the infuriatingly noisy and crowded mall to get something to eat, I get called that I've had ANOTHER schedule change, which ruined most of my plans for next week. And it's still shitty outside, dark now, and to go home, I have to take the damn bus again, which is tolerable at best, especially if I'm already in a lousy mood.
And here I was,wanting to have a NICE day out for myself. I should have just stayed the hell in.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #53
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
I generally dislike telling people I am Atheist because so many of the others I've met and spoken with are just the same kind of pretentious zealots they claim to be avoiding. I've had someone on another forum private message me, starting off with the very normal comments of being an Atheist too and being pleased to find someone else out there who wasn't ashamed of their beliefs. It went well and polite and all that until the end in which they said "Good job on hating all the Christians!" meant as some sort of pleasantry in parting.

Excuse me?

I responded, rather heatedly, letting them know just how inappropriate that comment was ,that Atheism is not the hatred of Christianity , and comments like this are exactly why people think Atheists are punk ass kids who are just rebelling against the 'man' and are not taken seriously.

It's so tiring hearing from other Atheists and listening to them act like children, claiming they are so much better then the Christians because they're nothing like the crazy zealots they imagine every Christian to be. Then act exactly like that.

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

Half of the time an Atheist talking to me assumes I am religious, and is shocked when I inform them I am of the same belief as they are.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #54
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Half of the time an Atheist talking to me assumes I am religious, and is shocked when I inform them I have the same lack of belief as they.
Kind of fixed, but I totes sympathize with the entire thing.

On a similar note, you wouldn't believe the amount of times of had people let me in on their prejudices just because I'm a white, heterosexual, cis-gendered male. I've started calling them on their bigoted shit as of late, and they act like I have an attitude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:39 PM   #55
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Kind of fixed, but I totes sympathize with the entire thing.

On a similar note, you wouldn't believe the amount of times of had people let me in on their prejudices just because I'm a white, heterosexual, cis-gendered male. I've started calling them on their bigoted shit as of late, and they act like I have an attitude.
Atheism is still a kind of religion really. But anywho..

Mind if I prod about and ask what kinda stuff is said?

The only time I've really had someone assume that based on my race I agree with their prejudice is while working at the bookstore. An older customer and I where chatting away as it was dead in the store and I was starved of any mental stimulation, so little nice old lonely white lady was it. I had told the story about a friend who worked his ass off, working after the restaurant closed as a waiter for a snarky and rude table of goons who treated him and his co-workers like shit. At the end, after staying well over 30 minutes after closing, they didn't leave a tip on a meal well over $300.

The older woman glanced around her, seeing no one else around, leaned in a bit and said "Well we know what kind of person they where" and gave me a soft knowing nod and snarky grin.

I gave her a strange look and said "They sure where rude that's for sure" but I was clearly getting the hint.

She just responded with another knowing nod and said "Well we know who they where.."

The way she was giving me that "we both know" sort of grin and nod it was quite clear the implications she was making and she was assuming based on my race, I'd agree.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 05:57 PM   #56
RicanPlatano
Dechuuu~~

My husband went away for the weekend and now i'm stuck at home alone with a three week old ;_; No sleep for me this weekend.
Blood Elf Paladin Tier 13 - WoW
FFX - Lulu (undecided)
Code Geass - Villetta Nu (Undecided)

"He's small enough as it is, these colours would make him seem child-like."
"And what exactly is bad about that? I have no interest in anything but boys and girls under 15!"
"...I have no interest in what you do in your spare time..."
RicanPlatano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:06 PM   #57
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
I was like that when I was a kid (as in a snobbish atheist). Strangely enough I grew out of it because I had a really awesome RE/RS/Whatever they call it these days (I don't know how religious she was, but the class was a pretty academic look at various faiths) who didn't as much outright say I was being an idiot as show it (if that makes sense).

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 06:14 PM   #58
pltshp
i did what i have to do

I'm having a "personal crisis" of sorts and it's really kind of massively shit. Nothing major, it's just bringing me down and it's not helping that my best friend, lovely though he is, doesn't seem to give a crap. Bleh.
pltshp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:14 PM   #59
SapphireChaos

More of a nervous vent than an angry vent, but I just got asked out for a date tomorrow and I'm pretty annoyed with myself because I know I'm going to be extremely awkward and shy and I hate that about myself -_-
Lara Croft (Tomb Raider 2013) - 0%
[?] Jun (Avatar the Last Airbender) - 0%
SapphireChaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 08:49 AM   #60
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

Quote:
I'm so sorry about this. One of my friends went through the exact same thing last year. I'm not sure what to say, and it may sound cliche', but PLEASE never consider suicide. Some things just take a little time to figure themselves out. *hugs*
I'm trying not to think about it, it's just...hard to. *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpazItUp View Post
Papercut- I feel like this girl is playing with your emotions and you may love her but you are young and she is not the last person you will meet. Personally I feel like her suicidal tendencies are just her crying out for help and you are the person she is.... well to put it simply.... manipulating. It's not a very simple or easy situation which I am sure I don't fully understand but I think getting upset over a person who doesn't want to share your feelings and actually seems to mess with them is hardly fair to you.

Take it from someone who knows, this girl is not the end all be all of people you will love. And frankly maybe it's best if you step away from her so you don't hurt so much. I know you want to be there for her but she is actively hurting you with her attitude and she isn't good to be in a relationship anyways if she is acting this way. She needs to find herself and be at peace with herself if she wants to be in a healthy relationship and that means NOT hiding her sexuality from her parents. It's more trouble than it's worth. You're young... things will change and there will be others.
The first part is actually what I'm afraid of and why I feel so horrible over it. I know I've let people use me like a toy, hell, ever since I started school, and now that I've realized what was going on, I've tried to change. She was the one who wouldn't mind; any others would immediately call me a b!tch. After all that rant, when I felt she frankly was just treating me like a toy again, used when it's convenient and told I'm special, then thrown away, I just kind of...snapped.
I can't feel like there will be others, or anyone who is better...Partially because of my mom telling me I can kill myself for my sexuality and all she would say is 'Poor girl, she's going to Hell.', and partially because through all of my life, I've never felt good enough for anything, and now the landmine for love has been stepped on..I've never been a very 'loved' person, and I just don't see it changing soon.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote