Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 26 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-11-2013, 10:16 PM   #6166
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoliLovely View Post
I have to cope with the fact I have permanent damage to my ear and brain...I wasn't expecting any of this to happen to me at 17
Geez, what happened to cause that? Was that that big stomach issue you were having?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2013, 12:10 PM   #6167
Amanita

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maikafish View Post
I get very upset sometimes when there are so many costumes at cons that are BRILLIANT and detailed and amazing...but no one cares when the girl dressed as the nearly-naked Starfire walks in. Just a random thought that I get sometimes that annoys me :/
I've seen costumes that were very well done and had lots of thought and work put into them, and they happened to show skin. That's not what bugs me. It's the ones that are downright lazy, where skin exposure is the only thing going for them- like the "kitty in panties" somebody mentioned in an article about Phoenix comic-con.

FYI- The article writer noticed a few women wearing nothing but their underwear and an accessory or two and calling that their costume. One woman in particular was wearing nothing but skimpy undies, with cat ears and a tail. The writer's five year old daughter wandered up to this woman and asked her why she was in her underwear, and the lady answered "I guess I'm a kitty in panties!"
Ick. To me, that just seems like a lazy way to get attention. Well done, interesting cosplay that happens to show skin? Cool. Showing up in just your underwear? Ugh, save that for those cheeseball bar and club costume contests.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 12:17 PM   #6168
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
Ick. To me, that just seems like a lazy way to get attention. Well done, interesting cosplay that happens to show skin? Cool. Showing up in just your underwear? Ugh, save that for those cheeseball bar and club costume contests.
What's super great about life is that you don't even have to think about what other people's motives are when it doesn't involve you!

It's fuckin' great how it works out that we don't even have to care what other people are doing.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:13 PM   #6169
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I've seen costumes that were very well done and had lots of thought and work put into them, and they happened to show skin. That's not what bugs me. It's the ones that are downright lazy, where skin exposure is the only thing going for them- like the "kitty in panties" somebody mentioned in an article about Phoenix comic-con.

FYI- The article writer noticed a few women wearing nothing but their underwear and an accessory or two and calling that their costume. One woman in particular was wearing nothing but skimpy undies, with cat ears and a tail. The writer's five year old daughter wandered up to this woman and asked her why she was in her underwear, and the lady answered "I guess I'm a kitty in panties!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
What's super great about life is that you don't even have to think about what other people's motives are when it doesn't involve you!

It's fuckin' great how it works out that we don't even have to care what other people are doing.
So I guess there's no reason for you to criticize MRAs or pay attention to abortion policies of states other than Michigan, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:14 PM   #6170
Sybren117
Gipsy Danger

Boom.

...Is my input.
Sybren117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:21 PM   #6171
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON

I feel like I should be following Sybren's comment up with an appropriate GIF, but alas, I do not think I have one.
  • Secret Cosplay (???): 1% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) MAGfest 2015

DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:26 PM   #6172
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

I'll never understand why many girls must blame everyone and their mother to avoid blaming their boyfriends for cheating on them. And give their boyfriend every excuse in the book so they can overlook the real issue at hand.
Unread 07-12-2013, 01:43 PM   #6173
Amanita

So what, I shouldn't have an opinion on anything?
And yes, I would be rather disgusted if somebody showed up at my local con, passing off their underwear as a costume.
Not just the laziness of it (Even most closet cosplayers make more of an effort), but to me, seeing a stranger in their underwear in public is just flat-out TMI. Underwear tends to be made of thinner fabric than even a bathing suit, and there's its intimate connotations- normally you would only see somebody in their undies if you have a close relationship to them- family, really close friend, or intimate partner. (Or a locker room, but that's not "out in public") So somebody running around in public wearing lingerie that normally only their romantic partner would see is just TMI, and creates a feeling of forced familiarity.

And yes, I do have a dog in the fight (if I need to be personally affected by something before I am allowed to express an opinion)- I've been in costume contests where myself and other people with great costumes lost big time, simply because the winner showed more skin, or yanked off clothes to make more skin show. It's why I have completely given up on halloween costume contests.
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:45 PM   #6174
UsakoLuna
Ugg McMuffin

My nose hurts.

And I have nice burn line where my glasses sit, but I can't function with out them.
My Cat's Tumblr
Avatar drawn by the awesome Lithium Flower
UsakoLuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 02:55 PM   #6175
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
So what, I shouldn't have an opinion on anything?
And yes, I would be rather disgusted if somebody showed up at my local con, passing off their underwear as a costume.
Not just the laziness of it (Even most closet cosplayers make more of an effort), but to me, seeing a stranger in their underwear in public is just flat-out TMI. Underwear tends to be made of thinner fabric than even a bathing suit, and there's its intimate connotations- normally you would only see somebody in their undies if you have a close relationship to them- family, really close friend, or intimate partner. (Or a locker room, but that's not "out in public") So somebody running around in public wearing lingerie that normally only their romantic partner would see is just TMI, and creates a feeling of forced familiarity.

And yes, I do have a dog in the fight (if I need to be personally affected by something before I am allowed to express an opinion)- I've been in costume contests where myself and other people with great costumes lost big time, simply because the winner showed more skin, or yanked off clothes to make more skin show. It's why I have completely given up on halloween costume contests.
I know it's going to shock you, but just because you are born with the inherit ability to form an opinion it doesn't protect you from people pointing out why it's bullshit.

Your upset because judges have chosen someone you felt is lesser then you, so how about instead of being upset that attractive girls are getting more attention then someone else you get upset that biased judges are exploiting womens sexuality for their own pleasure?

No one owes you a goddamn thing because your costume is so damn great.

You are not OWED attention and praise by merit of not showing skin, you are not superior or better. You are not anything anymore then anyone else bumin' around in their skivvies is. No girl with a tight ass and short skirt is stealing something from you, because you don't own the attention and praise of people around you.

You can write it on a note card and bring it with you to the next con you go to:
I am not owed anything. People do not owe me praise. I do not deserve anything more then anyone else. I am not deserving because of my possible efforts. People do not have something I can own from them because I feel I have done a superior job. It is not my business to care what other people do with their bodies. I am confident in who I am and don't need to put other people down to feel superior about myself.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 03:51 PM   #6176
Amanita

Spare me the snark. I was responding to somebody else who said pretty much the same goddamn thing. If you want to play at throwing swears and hyperbole around, then fine, I can play at that too.

I never said anyone owed me fucking anything, so don't put words in my mouth. And I don't care a sweet goddamn about anyone's "Attractiveness", nor did I mention anyone's attractiveness,so don't make this a female jealousy thing. When it comes to a lazy, thoughtless costume like throwing on underwear with cat ears, I'm going to think it sucks no matter what the "hotness factor" of the person in it. So don't accuse me of slut shaming, being jealous, or any of that other crap. I said it's the costume I find distasteful (mainly because I don't think it's cool to wear underwear in public, at a family friendly event), NOT the person in it.

My frustration with those "costume contests" was that the winners were picked by a drunk and horny audience and judges, so skin and shock value was ALL they cared about. And yes, exploiting people, and encouraging inebriated contestants to do crap they might not do otherwise IS wrong. (I know a woman who flashed her breasts at another event, and she admitted afterwards she was drunk at the time, and was embarrassed when she sobered up) It's one reason I don't patronize things like that anymore.
(FYI- the worst offender at one event was male- he was wearing the sort of lazy closet costume that I've seen others here deplore, and he got applause solely for tearing open his shirt and pulling down his pants, showing us his G-string, and at the other event a lady got completely topless even after being told not to, that it was against the law and the club could get in shit. She did it anyway, the crowd went wild, and instead of disqualifying her (for I dunno- breaking the law!) The judges gave her first prize.

You know what? If the contest were billed as a stripping contest, a bikini contest, wet t-shirt contest, or something else where the stated objective was skimp or stripping and NOTHING else, I wouldn't mind at all, because then at least it would have been honest. (I wouldn't have entered though, because that's not my thing)
And for the record, I don't hate cosplays just for being skimpy- look at some of the creations by Kamui cosplay- Her costumes are awesome, she does great work and really cares about what she does, skin or no skin.

If "costuming" was replaced by some other skill, would you still be mad at me and calling me some sort of entitle-pig for wanting to be judged on that skill, not something completely different? Say it was a dance competition, where myself and the other contestants had worked for months on our routines, and then some kid came out on stage, and even though they couldn't string two moves together without falling on their face, the judges gave them the lion's share of awards just for being cute (derailing the contest by turning it from a dance competition into a cuteness contest), would you still be so angry at me for being annoyed at that, not just for myself, but for all the other dancers who also worked hard and got brushed aside?

As for Kitty in Panties, sure I don't like the costume and personally think it's lazy. (With just a little more effort, a person could do a decent Felicia, which would get them even MORE attention if that's what they want, because a lot of people like the character) But I wouldn't go up to her at a con and call her a loser either. I never called "Kitty in Panties" a loser, a slut, or any other name. I said the COSTUME was lazy and inappropriate. Big difference.
And if I saw somebody call Miss Kitty in Panties a slut or a whore, I would have a BIG problem with it. It's not cool to call anyone names like that, whatever they're wearing.
I don't like the costume, but the costume is what I say I dislike, NOT the person in it.
And if a crowd of people in undies showed up at my local con, the harshest thing I'd say out loud might be "What's up with all the underwear? Some geeky reference I'm not getting?" or "Are lacy mini-briefs and banana hammocks appropriate for a family friendly con?"

Somebody I know said that at those events I ranted about, "we honor sexuality". Really? How does encouraging people to do silly things when drunk honor sexuality? And how does it honor sexuality when only the most "in your face" forms of expression are encouraged, and others are shamed as prudes if they say something's not right, for any reason?

Last edited by Amanita : 07-13-2013 at 11:56 AM.
Unread 07-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #6177
Serenith
~Nyah Nyah~

Again. Girls. If you want to argue with me using information you've twisted and crap, fine. But have the balls to see the argument through, rather than sending a rude message and then blocking. It doesn't make you an awesome adult for stopping the argument. It makes you a child.

Unread 07-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #6178
ToxicMelodies
Nyan Nyan Neko Chan!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenith View Post
Good for you! I know it takes a lot to block/delete someone you've got/had strong feelings for. Hell, I used to not want to delete texts from old boyfriends. I'm proud of ya!

Thanks... I still have his number in my phone even though his grandma took it away and he hasn't had it for months now... xD
ToxicMelodies is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 10:03 PM   #6179
FuntomKitten
Prince With No Crown

I swear, everyone in my house seems to get pissed off with me any time I try to tell them an opinion or make any of my own decisions. I am this close to just being done and only speaking when spoken to, and letting them make the decisions they've chosen for me, because it's just tiring and tedious going through the same fight over and over when the outcome is never worth it.

But I guess it's good to learn early on that my parents don't give a damn about what I think or want if it doesn't fit into their idea of what I should be. It's been a fight just trying to get my hair cut in the style I want or to be able to get the clothes I want, and mom still tries to control that. I'm given less than my sister and mismatching furniture and storage bins in my room, and my mom yells at me for my room being tacky.
So fucking sorry I don't have $1,000 to blow on making my room look just like you want it to.
Then, of course, there's the infuriating relationship deal, where my mom refuses to believe I'm anything but straight, or that if I'm gay she'll try to fix me. As if that wasn't bad enough, it hurts, badly, when she treats me as if I'm a boy magnet and should have had at least five boyfriends right now. The truth is that I'm a complete loser that boys are only interested in calling lesbian or daring their friends to ask out as torture. But that isn't what she wants to hear, so that isn't the case.
I am so fucking done trying to speak my mind here.
Facebook
DeviantArt
Tumblr

Cosplays
Nanami Chiaki (Super Dangan Ronpa 2) {Waiting/ 90% DONE}
Mirai Kuriyama (Kyoukai no Kanata) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Rikka Takanashi (Chuunibyou demo koi ga Shitai!) {Planning/ 0% DONE}
Grell Sutcliff and Ciel Phantomhive (Kuroshitsuji) {Revamping/ New Version}
Upcoming Cons
Momocon 2014, AAD Fall+Winter 2014, Seishuncon 2014, AWA 2014
FuntomKitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:11 PM   #6180
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Prepare for a rant/negative review of Rosetta Stone.

I don't care how many other systems they badmouth, or how many languages their actors claim to speak, ROSETTA STOE DOESN'T WORK!!!!! I got it for both Spanish and Japanese and both times I learned absolutely nothing. Half the time, you can't even tell what the pictures are supposed to be of in English, let alone a language you've never studied before, and since there are no translations, you're pretty much just guessing what the meanings are. Once I gave up on Rosetta Stone and started using a text book and podcasts, I learned a lot of Japanese, unlike what the Rosetta Stone commercials tell you will happen if you go that route. It's just so frustrating to see them saying, "this is the best/easiest/most perfect way to learn a language" when it's really just a gigantic rip off. To anyone wanting to learn another language, please don't waste your money.
Mami Tomoe (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)- planning stages
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote