Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 108 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 03-16-2012, 01:35 PM   #1201
harmonyisarine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
On another note, I was just watching a talk show while eating my lunch, and somebody there was giving advice on how to prevent heart attacks. You're supposed to go on a strict diet of no (or almost no) meat and similar restrictions on dairy.

Fuck that. I like my meat and dairy (skim milk these days), and am not going to give them up. I hate diets in general, I remember my mom going on a low fat thing a while back, and I just found a lot of the new recipes she made NOT to my liking. Thin and bland, mostly. Now, I don't guzzle down hunks of pure fat and pig out on pork rinds, washed down with heaping helpings of lard and oil. Nor do I consider "Epic Mealtime" something to aspire to, in terms of cooking. (look up Epic mealtime on youtube, it will gross you right out..or make you hungry)
But I just hate the list of "No" that seems to accompany every freaking diet out there, all these things you're not ever supposed to eat. I'm sorry, I like my meat and dairy, and I like my meat and fish prepared so that it actually has flavor, none of this "plain and steamed" crap. Likewise vegetables. I'll eat them stir fried and seasoned, or raw with something to dip them in, but I don't like plain veggies steamed or boiled. Ick. And you'll take my BBQ away when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

I'm with you on all of that.I'm tired of hearing that animal products are bad for you. Guess what? We're omnivores. We need meat, and our digestive tract looks far more like a carnivore than like an herbivore. We can't even properly absorb all the nutrients from vegetables because of this, especially if we don't have a bit of animal fat (which helps for some reason). Also, I've decided diet "science" has no idea what it's talking about. I can find new research for you that tells you that animal fat is good for you and vegetables and plant fats need to be consumed in moderation.

I've given up on all of it. I eat my veggies roasted with garlic and olive oil or drowned in butter, and I have a pan of bacon whenever I want my pan of bacon.

Unread 03-16-2012, 01:48 PM   #1202
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Why do people write unnecessary words when they write at Cosplay.com? I have noticed certain patterns. Some examples: "That said", "At the end of the day", and "So". I tried to see if those words really added any meaning to their sentences, but I found they did not. Is this a cosplayer lingo?
brucer007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:09 PM   #1203
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucer007 View Post
Why do people write unnecessary words when they write at Cosplay.com? I have noticed certain patterns. Some examples: "That said", "At the end of the day", and "So". I tried to see if those words really added any meaning to their sentences, but I found they did not. Is this a cosplayer lingo?
Not really --- those examples are also found in conference calls and meetings of all kinds XD

I think it's just a way to move a subject along, just like some individuals use vague sayings like "I hope", "probably", "mostly" or anything else that bars 100% certainty (or commitment) on their part. Sometimes I do that too!

Last edited by Kildread : 03-16-2012 at 02:19 PM.
Kildread is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 02:57 PM   #1204
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoMayDrako View Post
Couldn't tell all he did was sigh and give me that I-do-not-understand-you look. This being the person who set his ID picture of his phone to a chibi Ichigo with a cat on his head saying 'fear me'.

Lordy everyone around me is crazy.
wow I must get that look alot, that picture of yuri is on my phone :O

speaking of cell phones I have cruddy service from my house
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:06 PM   #1205
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kildread View Post
Not really --- those examples are also found in conference calls and meetings of all kinds XD

I think it's just a way to move a subject along, just like some individuals use vague sayings like "I hope", "probably", "mostly" or anything else that bars 100% certainty (or commitment) on their part. Sometimes I do that too!
Your examples don't follow what I am talking about well. I was referring to written communication, not conference calls or meetings. The word "so" is common in speech, but it seems kind of funny to see it in writing.

"I hope" is a pronoun and a verb, necessary for constructing a sentence. "Probably, or "mostly" are qualifiers, that help make a statement more accurate. I am referring to added on words like, "At the end of the day", and "That being said", etc. I noticed seeing those type of add-ons at that this website, but not so much elsewhere. It might have some connection with age. Perhaps younger people of today tend to write or talk like that.
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #1206
Kildread
I can fix it!

Quote:
"I hope" is a pronoun and a verb, necessary for constructing a sentence. "Probably, or "mostly" are qualifiers, that help make a statement more accurate. I am referring to added on words like, "At the end of the day", and "That being said", etc. I noticed seeing those type of add-ons at that this website, but not so much elsewhere. It might have some connection with age. Perhaps younger people of today tend to write or talk like that.
On my end (Is that a good example of what you're referring to?), it would be because it's the way I'd break off a line of thought to another, or start one. And because I also tend to speak that way too (Although text doesn't carry my lack of grasp on spoken pronunciation very well, something you're all spared from).

---

I made the reference to conference calls and meetings because your example are things I've not seen on here especially, but hear all the time in those IRL settings --- usually as a way for the speaker to conclude on a given subject, or switch subject.
Kildread is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:32 PM   #1207
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
I was going to lay into you for being too picky, but then I noticed your use of an Oxford comma. That automatically makes you okay in my book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 04:41 PM   #1208
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
It's just how some people talk (and thus write informally).

In the same way I'm strangly fond of the phrase "and thus".

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:01 PM   #1209
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by harmonyisarine View Post
I'm with you on all of that.I'm tired of hearing that animal products are bad for you. Guess what? We're omnivores. We need meat, and our digestive tract looks far more like a carnivore than like an herbivore. We can't even properly absorb all the nutrients from vegetables because of this, especially if we don't have a bit of animal fat (which helps for some reason). Also, I've decided diet "science" has no idea what it's talking about. I can find new research for you that tells you that animal fat is good for you and vegetables and plant fats need to be consumed in moderation.

I've given up on all of it. I eat my veggies roasted with garlic and olive oil or drowned in butter, and I have a pan of bacon whenever I want my pan of bacon.
OMG, THIS X100000000000.

To quote an episode of the Boondocks, "If I want to get high blood pressure, that's MY damn business!" So piss off, health nuts.
or heck, whatever just happened to, yannow, MODERATION? "Sure, enjoy that cheese steak/twinkie/soda, just don't eat it all the damn time."
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM   #1210
LluviaSarcasm
Tall, Dark and Bishoujo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
OMG, THIS X100000000000.

To quote an episode of the Boondocks, "If I want to get high blood pressure, that's MY damn business!" So piss off, health nuts.
or heck, whatever just happened to, yannow, MODERATION? "Sure, enjoy that cheese steak/twinkie/soda, just don't eat it every night."
Yeah well, at least you are acknowledging, that it can give you high blood pressure.
To each their own choice, no one needs to dictate food intake for others.
That's why, as a vegan, harmonyisarine's post really pissed me off.
If you complain about others criticizing how to eat, don't be doing the same thing!
I honestly disagree with those views and have knowledge to back them, but I won't be going ''health nut food preacher'' on you guys. -.-
In progress:
| Homura Akemi - 80%| Rin Matsuoka - 75%|
| Yuu Kashima - 70%| Nagito Komaeda - 55%|
| Seishuu Handa - 50%| Uta - 40%|
~ ♥ ~
| Tumblr | deviantART | Cosplay plans | WorldCosplay | Cure |
LluviaSarcasm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:11 PM   #1211
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
Your examples don't follow what I am talking about well. I was referring to written communication, not conference calls or meetings. The word "so" is common in speech, but it seems kind of funny to see it in writing.

None of these words are necessary to convey the meanings of your paragraphs. Hoisted on your own petard!

Lighten up, Chuckles.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:42 PM   #1212
brucer007
Bruce Heinsius

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam vimes View Post
None of these words are necessary to convey the meanings of your paragraphs. Hoisted on your own petard!

Lighten up, Chuckles.

The words you picked out of my sentences do indeed convey the meanings of my sentences. They were mostly qualifiers which, indeed, did convey what I wanted, and made my sentences more accurate statements. Without the qualifiers, my statements would be in absolutes, and "Only Sith speak in absolutes".*

*Obiwan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode 2

It's our ability to make distinctions that brings us to mastery in our lives.

You were going to lay into me for being too picky. Then you join my world by picking my words apart. Welcome Sam Vimes.

Last edited by brucer007 : 03-16-2012 at 06:48 PM.
Unread 03-16-2012, 06:45 PM   #1213
sam vimes
A real live wire

Quote:
You were going to lay into me for being too picky. Then you join my world by picking my words apart. Welcome Same Vimes.
What can I say? The workday's going slow.

Quote:
Quote:
Especishillly you sam.
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:03 PM   #1214
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
The words you picked out of my sentences do indeed convey the meanings of my sentences. They were mostly qualifiers which, indeed, did convey what I wanted, and made my sentences more accurate statements. Without the qualifiers, my statements would be in absolutes, and "Only Sith speak in absolutes".*

*Obiwan Kenobi, Star Wars Episode 2

It's our ability to make distinctions that brings us to mastery in our lives.

You were going to lay into me for being too picky. Then you join my world by picking my words apart. Welcome Sam Vimes.
Whoa, there, Strunk & White. All the atrocities against grammar and syntax on this site and you're going after some light purple prose?
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-16-2012, 07:22 PM   #1215
Bisected8
All glory to hypnoturtle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LluviaSarcasm View Post
Yeah well, at least you are acknowledging, that it can give you high blood pressure.
To each their own choice, no one needs to dictate food intake for others.
That's why, as a vegan, harmonyisarine's post really pissed me off.
If you complain about others criticizing how to eat, don't be doing the same thing!
I honestly disagree with those views and have knowledge to back them, but I won't be going ''health nut food preacher'' on you guys. -.-
With all due respect, I think I'll have to turn that around; if you insist on criticising how others eat, expect the same back. I can't stand people who complain about what amounts to a counter-argument. If you don't like people disagreeing with your views, don't air them. Simples *Russian meercat noise*.

Furthermore, harmonyisarine's post wasn't directed at you, it was directed at the people she was complaining about (or rather about, since I presume the persons concerned weren't expected to read it), who, from what I can tell by reading it, were those who follow and preach about fad diets. Not vegans.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
Bisected8 is online now   Reply With Quote