Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #1
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Would this be ok?

..If I cosplayed Sweeney at a Steampunk event? Just wondering, since I've never been to this type of event, and I'd rather not get any rude comments directed at me or given strange stares from people. lol I almost went to the Steampunk Worlds Fair (it was in Somerset NJ this past year, and next year its in Piscataway which I think is pretty close to me) with one of my friends last year, and they were planning on going again this year. If I went, I'd like to dress up if I can, so would I be able to blend in enough while dressed as Sweeney or should I try to get something else together?

Unread 11-29-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
ghosgreen

I actually think your current Sweeney Todd costume would be just fine. The story takes place during the era so I think it be a appropriate costume for a steampunk event. You should fit in just fine I think so.
ghosgreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 07:14 AM   #3
SweeneyTodd

Hmmm alright, thanks
I think if I do end up cosplaying Sweeney, I probably won't do the blood the way I do it at anime cons lol
Unread 11-29-2011, 10:07 AM   #4
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

Why not do the blood, honestly? It fits in just fine with the mad scientist and crazy tinkerer tropes. I don't see as you'd need to change anything unless you'd actively prefer to. Sweeney is more thematically appropriate to a steamcon than an anime con, and I'm delighted that didn't stop you from showing him off anyway.

You're worrying way too much--no one can guarantee you won't get odd looks or a stupid remark, because people look at costumes for all sorts of reasons. And some people are jerks. Unlikely to happen in the first place, but a jerky remark doesn't mean You've Made A Terrible Steampunk Mistake And Everyone Is Disappointed, it just means that some jerk was a jerk in your direction. Don't fear that.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:11 AM   #5
Skeff

As I just got home from Teslacon, my first steampunk event, I say go for it. From what I saw at the con, everyone is VERY accpeting to all sorts of characters and backgrounds. There were pirates, stowaways, philanthropists (spelling?), captains, explorers, adventurers and anything else in between.

I honsetly think you would fit in just fine, there is a bit of a different atmosphere to a steam con, everyone seems to be very well mannered and accepting, its a nice change of pace.

"Your mechanical minions have been defeated! Now its just you, me, me, me and meeeee!"

Table Tops, Drinking and Stuff
http://totalmisanthropy.blogspot.com/
Skeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
TheFontBandit
Trial-&-Error Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeff View Post
I honsetly think you would fit in just fine, there is a bit of a different atmosphere to a steam con, everyone seems to be very well mannered and accepting, its a nice change of pace.
Seconding this. In my experience, steampunk cons are pretty cool with whatever floats your boat - be it a wild and crazy original sky pirate character, a proper Victorian lady, steampunk mashups/version of characters from other pop-culture media, or just about anything you can dream up.

I think you'd probably get a generally positive reaction to Sweeney Todd, really. I say go for it!
TheFontBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 03:50 PM   #7
SweeneyTodd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
Why not do the blood, honestly? It fits in just fine with the mad scientist and crazy tinkerer tropes. I don't see as you'd need to change anything unless you'd actively prefer to. Sweeney is more thematically appropriate to a steamcon than an anime con, and I'm delighted that didn't stop you from showing him off anyway.
I was just thinking of not doing the blood because I feel that would be kinda strange? I don't know.
The first anime con I dressed as Sweeney at, I didn't do blood. I do Sweeney at anime cons because nowadays they are really multi-genre, so everyone seems to pretty much be ok with whatever cosplays are at the con (I saw cosplays from TV commercials at Otakon this past year

Skeff-
Quote:
there is a bit of a different atmosphere to a steam con, everyone seems to be very well mannered and accepting, its a nice change of pace.
^Well that must have been a very nice change. No obnoxious large groups of people yelling and screaming.

Thanks for the responses guys! I was just worried because I wasn't sure if cosplaying actual characters was something that was generally acceptable at the steampunk gatherings.