Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 11 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 11-29-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
Kekewy

Healthy flavored drinks that don't have artificial sweeteners

I've managed to lose about five pounds and I'm hoping to keep the trend going. The problem is I have some very weird quirks about eating. Most of them aren't bad, but one is giving me fits: There are certain food items I have to drink something to eat. The problem is, I can't drink water with them, it has to be something with a strong taste. At home, I pour a tiny glass of juice and sip at it, but at work, I can't do that so what I usually do is break down and buy a soda out of the vending machines.

So what I'm trying to do is find something I can bring to work with me that drinking 20 ounces of won't be as bad as a soda. I can't have any type of artificial sweeteners period. Equal, splenda, sweet and low, all of those give me huge headaches so I can't have them at work.

I've tried forcing myself to drink water instead, but it just does not work.
Does anyone have a suggestion for something that I can drink with food that's flavored that won't kill my diet or give me a headache?
Kekewy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-29-2011, 06:42 PM   #2
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

i dont have the box with me, but i use this stuff called super-c. its not no calories here is the site. it says under the one i drink (the energy one in place of energy drinks) that it has nbo sugar and 0 cal. it says nothing about artificial sweeteners, so im not sure on that one. when i get home i can look for you. but it has a very stong taste to it that i feel is what your after. if anything you can always, on your next visit to the store (safeway, fred meyer and albertsons all carry it), go into the medicine department and look at some and see whats best as far as flavor. plus they have vitamins and some help with immunity and other good stuff
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Kumoricon 2014 (so far):
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-Alice (Hearts no Kuni no Alice)
-Black&Blue Loli-style Dark Magical Girl O.C.
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Black & Red Ver.)

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #3
Suiseiseki0284
Michu

Well as far as soda goes there's the following
Izze
Steaz
GUS

All are organic, all have no artificial flavors or sweetners, and all of them are, for soda generally low cal. So long as you're not chugging 5 of them a day, it's a pretty good drink :3 especially if you want a break from "just water'.
Unread 11-29-2011, 11:07 PM   #4
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Have you tried getting tested for a reaction for phenyl... that long word that you keep seeing a warning about on diet drinks?
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #5
Touya no miko
TnM

Coconut Water!!!! I can tell you so many amazing things about it!

It's a natural health drink, which means no artificial ingredients and less calories than sports drinks and soda. It has a rich source of electrolytes and natural salts, especially potassium and magnesium. There are also other natural vitamins that will give you energy, and strengthen your overall health. The taste is also very refreshing with a slightly sweet coconut flavor. My favorite coconut water brand is O.N.E, since it's 100% natural and doesn't contain any added sugars or preservatives. They're available at almost any food market. You can buy them in a pack or individual juice boxes.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:00 PM   #6
Ivyna J. Spyder

Jeez. Unsweetened tea? Black coffee?

Really you aren't going to find anything without artificial sweeteners that isn't full of real sugar instead. (arguably worse for you- just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's good for you.) Most of the 'healthy' stuff other people are suggesting have like 20-30 grams of sugar per serving.

Best thing to do is just learn to like water. There's no physical reason you shouldn't be able to drink it. If it tastes odd, try getting filtered and/or chilling it. (Like bring a bottle of frozen water to work and sip it as it melts.)
Ivyna J. Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:12 PM   #7
Aleatory
They call me Lady Luck.

Ever try juice? Just get a think of Nakid juice or Bolthouse Farms juice. It's not too hard to find sweetener-free juice. And if you do have a hard time finding it, you could make your own. Or Dole has these awesome shakers smoothie things where you just add juice and shake the crap out of it for a minute and then, bam! Smoothie. <3

Or if you are not entirely put off by it, Soy has little cartons of vanilla soy milk which I think are delicious.
Aleatory is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
nikkiolie

What I would say you could do and it would be pretty cheap is to get a thermos or a water bottle of some sort and just bring juice from home.
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 02:02 PM   #9
Touya no miko
TnM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna J. Spyder View Post

Really you aren't going to find anything without artificial sweeteners that isn't full of real sugar instead. (arguably worse for you- just because it's 'natural' doesn't mean it's good for you.) Most of the 'healthy' stuff other people are suggesting have like 20-30 grams of sugar per serving.
Coconut Water contains natural sugars that you find in fruit. It doesn't contain simple sugars, which is worse for you. Plus the amount of sugar is usually less than 15 grams per serving.

Seras Victoria-Blood version
Mulan
Touya no miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
Miyabi-
All Will Be Well

I highly advocate unsweetened tea. Loose leaf teas brewed are much more flavorful than bagged teas.
Even though you can't drink water with your meals maybe you can also slice up your favorite fruits and put them in water to make it more flavorful or palateable? Get a Brita pitcher to filter out the water and slice up fruit and stash it in the fridge.Another option is to maybe try those flavored Mio water enhancers.
You can bring a re-usable bottle to work and fill it up. I usually take one with me to school to keep from buying something.

Last edited by Miyabi- : 12-01-2011 at 06:01 AM.
Miyabi- is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2011, 10:56 PM   #11
Kekewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivyna J. Spyder View Post

Best thing to do is just learn to like water. There's no physical reason you shouldn't be able to drink it. If it tastes odd, try getting filtered and/or chilling it. (Like bring a bottle of frozen water to work and sip it as it melts.)
You misunderstand. It's not that I don't like water. I do, I keep a huge bottle with me at work and drink on it constantly throughout the day. Usually I even wind up refilling it at least once before I go home. It's that I physically cannot swallow certain foods without some form of liquid and water does not work for this purpose. I've tried drinking water, but I wind up unable to finish my meal unless I break down and buy a soda.

Kindly read the post you're replying to and practice good reading comprehension. I never said I dislike water, I said that drinking water is not an option in this situation. And before you mention just not eating lunch, I've tried that in the past, and since I don't get off until very late, by the time I get home to eat I feel like I'm about ready to pass out.
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:05 PM   #12
Kekewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slapthefatcat View Post
Have you tried getting tested for a reaction for phenyl... that long word that you keep seeing a warning about on diet drinks?
I've never been tested by a doctor, because, honestly, I kinda feel it's a waste of money I don't have. I don't need a doctor to tell me that I have a bad reaction to an artificial sweetener when two sips of diet soda gives me a blinding headache. The first and last time I willingly drank a diet drink, it gave me a headache so bad I spent the day in my room in tears, not mention a few other less pleasant side effects as well. So, yeah. I'll skip the test and just avoid the sweeteners. The headaches I get whenever someone accidentally gives me a diet drink instead of what I ordered are really proof enough, ya know?
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:10 PM   #13
Kekewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTerror View Post
i dont have the box with me, but i use this stuff called super-c. its not no calories here is the site. it says under the one i drink (the energy one in place of energy drinks) that it has nbo sugar and 0 cal. it says nothing about artificial sweeteners, so im not sure on that one. when i get home i can look for you. but it has a very stong taste to it that i feel is what your after. if anything you can always, on your next visit to the store (safeway, fred meyer and albertsons all carry it), go into the medicine department and look at some and see whats best as far as flavor. plus they have vitamins and some help with immunity and other good stuff
That looks promising. I'll have to see if any plase around here sells it and see what's in it. The immunity and sport ones both seem like they'd be good. I have to limit my caffeine, but if there's not a lot in the energy one it might be good too. Thanks for the suggestion!
Unread 11-30-2011, 11:15 PM   #14
Kekewy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Touya no miko View Post
Coconut Water!!!! I can tell you so many amazing things about it!

It's a natural health drink, which means no artificial ingredients and less calories than sports drinks and soda. It has a rich source of electrolytes and natural salts, especially potassium and magnesium. There are also other natural vitamins that will give you energy, and strengthen your overall health. The taste is also very refreshing with a slightly sweet coconut flavor. My favorite coconut water brand is O.N.E, since it's 100% natural and doesn't contain any added sugars or preservatives. They're available at almost any food market. You can buy them in a pack or individual juice boxes.
Thanks for the suggestion. I love the taste of coconut, so I'll see if I can find some and try it. We have have a lot of natural food stores around here and grocery stores that sell organic/natural products, so here's hoping one of them sells it.
Unread 12-01-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
Flombone-Emi
Witch of Literature

If plain water isn't doing it, you could make your own flavored water (seeping fruit slices in water) or try to find Hint Flavored water - No Artificial Sweeteners!
Flombone-Emi is offline   Reply With Quote