Go Back   Cosplay.com > Non-Cosplay Forums > Anime Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-19-2012, 08:40 PM   #31
iSeika

Ive never actually watched it myself but I thought Pandora Hearts
Is pretty popular I always hear people talking about it and suggest it
As for Shakugan no Shana I think that was a lot more popular around
The time it first came out.

I must agree on Kaliedo Star and Saint Tail being very underrated
they are both great series.
I'd like to add pretear that was decent magical girl anime
That was nice and short. Also Steins;Gate that sadly has lost
Its popularity its a great watch.

Nekocon
Rofcon

Definite 2013 Cosplays

Meredy - Tales of Eternia
School Uniform Madoka - PMMM
Magical Girl Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier Sayonara no Tsubasa

Possible 2013 Cosplays

Champion Iris - Pokemon B&W2
Yuzuki Yukari - Vocaloid 3
Serah Farron - FF13
Elize - Tales of Xillia
Magical Girl Madoka - PMMM

Cosplay/Anime Facebook
iSeika is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2012, 02:53 AM   #32
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Natsume Yuujinchou! You have to be a pretty hardened bastard to enjoy this or be touched by the story. From what other say if you like Mushishi you will also love Natsume Yuujinchou.
Agreeing with Natsume Yuujinchou.
Its such a beautiful anime; I have spent the last 2 days just watching it and I love it!
Its nice to watch an anime with no real love story but an adventure and a well written one at that.

Some anime I find are a but underrated:

- Princess TuTu
- Mawaru PenguinDrum
- Magi The Labyrinth of Magic (its a manga but the anime will come out in October)
- Skip Beat!
- Ore no Imōto ga Konna ni Kawaii Wake ga Nai (I found this anime to be quite entertaining)
- Hakuouki
-

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-24-2012, 12:04 PM   #33
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

I'm adding three from the current seasons.

Rinne no Lagrange ~ It's really hard to to describe what this shows about as it covers for many fan bases but "Epic" is starting to creep into my thoughts about it.
Hyouk ~ another feel good series but it's incurable funny at parts and wonderfully animated.
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu ~ just watch the first episode.

Steins;Gate I'm watching now.

Magi I wanted to read but I think I'll be watching the show instead.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!

Last edited by Ani_BEE : 07-24-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2012, 03:32 AM   #34
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ani_BEE View Post
Chouyaku Hyakunin Isshu ~ just watch the first episode.

Magi I wanted to read but I think I'll be watching the show instead.
I didn't even know they made an anime out of that manga!
At my school here in Japan they have the manga in the library and I read it once and awhile!
So happy to see it as an anime! Big fan of the 100 poems and the history of Japan <3

I do highly recommend the manga for Magi! It is definitely worth the read since I dont know how accurate the anime will be towards the manga =3

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2012, 11:58 PM   #35
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

The most underrated anime I know of is Marmalade Boy.

*begin rant*

Marmalade Boy was originally an 8-volume series by Wataru Yoshizumi, and the anime adaptian aired from 1994-1995. Yeah, it's old, and and frankly, you can tell by the animation. XD The dub was done by Tokyopop, and despite it being old and the animation suffering because of it, I think it's extremely underrated.

It's a shoujo series, but it's not the typical kind of show you see. The premise is good for those who like romantic comedies that are well-seasoned with drama (I'd reccommend it for fans of Peach Girl, Mamotte! Lollipop, Lucky Star, and Ouran High School Host Club).

The basic plot of the show is as follows: Teenager Miki Koishikawa has always had a relatively normal life. She's attends the local high school, hangs out with her best friend Meiko Akizuki, and is in pretty much every way, average. One day, her whole life is changed when her parents tell her they're getting divorced. That's not all though. They're getting divorced AND swapping partners with another couple who is getting a divorce. Miki is flabbergasted as they tell her this with a straight face. Infuriated that her parents are getting divorced so casually after being happily married (or so she thought) for so long, she is at a loss as to what to do.

The next night she meets the couple her parents are swapping partners with- the Matsuuras. She sits down to meet them when their son walks in, and just so happens to be Miki's age (Yuu Matsuura). Miki is elated, thinking her and Yuu can team up and stop their parents from getting divorced! You'd think this would be the main plot of the show, but by the end of episode 1 you find out that is not the case. Yuu doesn't even seem to care that their parents are just swapping partners. Miki then throws a fit, not wanting her parents to separate or for her to choose sides. Then it is revealed that Miki's parents don't expect her to choose. This bizarre situation gets even weirder when they tell her that both couples are going to move into one house together! So Miki finds herself moving in with the Matsuura's and adjusting to this wacky scenario. This is the set-up for the show.

The rest of the series is her life with this family arrangement. She has to learn to accept it, and perhaps find love on the way. I really like Miki in this series, because she's very "real". She's not some sweet, girly girl. She can have a temper, and is known to overreact sometimes. She acts like a real high school girl would most of the time. xD The characters in general are pretty good. Some of the characters get a little too close to cookie cutter for my liking, but for the most part the character are interesting and unique in their own way.

The voice acting isn't too bad for an older series, and the lead role is voiced by Michelle Ruff (Tsukasa Hiiragi in Lucky Star, Yuki Nagato in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and many other roles). Most of the VA's aren't too well known, but they are pretty good voice actors nonetheless.

The anime is very "shoujo", as it is a romantic "dramady". It has comedic moments, but it never really "tries" to be funny. Since the premise is so bizarre, that alone makes it humorous at some points. To be honest, the most hilarious element of the show is the four parents. They just act so bizarre (often talking in unison, acting more childish than Miki and Yuu), and sometimes their parenting is questionable (leaving Miki and Yuu home alone so the four can go on a vacation together) that they provide a few laughs. Besides that, the show mainly rides on its drama. There are many romance series cliches (the ex-girlfriend, the childhood friend, etc), but some of the situations are fresh for its time, and there are some scenarios I'm yet to see in another anime.

Overall it's a great dramatic romance series with a bit of comedy here and there. Way underrated. If you can get past the mediocre animation it's a good show. The series is 76 episodes long and is available in 4 box sets.

*end rant*

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2012, 12:21 AM   #36
LadyKiko95

Definitly agree with Baccano! and Pandora Hearts though Pandora Hearts is getting more popular.

Hell Girl And Vampire Princess Miyu.
LadyKiko95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2012, 10:47 AM   #37
spiritualizes

Definitely have to chime in on the Baccano! loving that's going on in here - that series was just wonderful. Senkou no Night Raid, Ga-Rei: Zero, Blood+ and Eureka 7 were all also very good. I loved them all.

sakura haruno, shippuden (naruto) 70% | morgiana (magi) 75%

spiritualizes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #38
kuroki-neko
A hero reborn

samurai jack, its not quite anime but it has so many elelments of anime in it. beautifuly made but not finished.

i have watched a few epidoes of Baccano! and i think its a good series, its like "DRR" mixed with cowboy bebop set in a different time.

im not sure how popular negima once was or is but i have watched most of the series (i sill have to watch the last episode but i have not been in the mood for it so its on hold for now)

i really just wish that i could have been around for when all the series i liked where popular, i would have made so many friends...

but kurohime i have a few volumes of the magna and its a good funny series that does not take away from the story with the humor.

the one series i think deserves allot of attention is the .hack sign, with a beautiful musical score and artwork it is a very underrated series.
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:51 AM   #39
iSeika

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuroki-neko View Post
samurai jack, its not quite anime but it has so many elelments of anime in it. beautifuly made but not finished.

i have watched a few epidoes of Baccano! and i think its a good series, its like "DRR" mixed with cowboy bebop set in a different time.
Bacanno! is like DRRR! because I think it's made by the same person.
Two people from Bacanno were actually in DRRR! I totally forgot
their names though lol I know one is Isac I forget the girls name that is
always with him (only watched a few eps of Bacanno).

@J_Otaku - Omg, I'm surprised to find someone else who has watched Marmalde Boy.
Its such a great shoujo it's sad that it gets over looked.

@Ani_BEE - I was starting to think no one watched Rinne No Lagrange. That anime
was decent and cute. I need to start the second season.

I'm not sure if I said this yet but I have to say Guilty Crown is pretty
underrated now.
I would also like to add "Another"is one that is underrated also.

Nekocon
Rofcon

Definite 2013 Cosplays

Meredy - Tales of Eternia
School Uniform Madoka - PMMM
Magical Girl Ranka Lee - Macross Frontier Sayonara no Tsubasa

Possible 2013 Cosplays

Champion Iris - Pokemon B&W2
Yuzuki Yukari - Vocaloid 3
Serah Farron - FF13
Elize - Tales of Xillia
Magical Girl Madoka - PMMM

Cosplay/Anime Facebook
iSeika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2012, 11:00 AM   #40
Jabberwack
Epic Zombie of Epicness

I think Pandora Hearts is pretty popular, but maybe that's just because I spend my time with PH cosplayers.
I need to agree with Last Exile and Black Cat, two of my favorite series, which just aren't watched as much as I think they should be.
KINO's JOURNEY.
My Kira, it's so good, and I've only found one person that's watched it...well, I don't know that many people, so I guess that's not weird.
I was obsessed with it, and it's not as little known as it could be, but so few people seem to love SKET Dance anymore, though it's just awesome.

Cosplays: Brock (Pokemon) 95%, L (Death Note) 100%, Kurapica (Hunter X Hunter) 100%, Bikky (FAKE) 40%, Count D (Pet Shop Of Horrors) 70% Dave Strider (Homestuck) 95%
New York Comic Con 2012:
Friday: Sober! Gamzee Makara (Homestuck) 80%
Saturday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Sunday: Mituna Captor (Homestuck) 80%
Jabberwack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 09:11 AM   #41
Otaking97
Terrible Great King

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeika View Post
@J_Otaku - Omg, I'm surprised to find someone else who has watched Marmalde Boy.

Are you serious? Any REAL fan knows M.Boy. LOL!

But seriously forget M.Boy and watch Hana Yori Dango first. It's higher on my shojo romance show list. And a must watch if you love em!

My HUGE ASS Anime/Manga/Figure collection:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/f...d.php?t=352110
Otaking97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2012, 03:21 PM   #42
Fish-and-Chips-Yum
Look! A hidden puzzle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iSeika View Post

*high fives* MB was actually the first manga I ever read! X3 I own all of the anime and manga for it except volume 8 of the manga. It's such a good series that gets overlooked because it's old. >_< Wataru Yoshizumi is a great author- have you seen/read Ultra Maniac?

+See Costume List for Completed Projects+

+In-Progress+
+Rarity+ MLP:FiM ~100%~ Just finished!
+Matryoshka!America+ Hetalia ~20%~ Designing the Hoodie!

+2013 Plans+
+Gala!Rarity+ MLP:FiM
+Ciel Phantomhive (Vol. 6 Outfit)+ Black Butler
+Hatsune Miku (Snow Version 2013)+ Vocaloid
+Umbreon+ Pokemon

+Conventions Planned for 2013+
Sakura Con 2013 ~ 65% Likely
Everfree 2013 ~ 30% Likely
Kumori Con 2013 ~ 40% Likely
Aki Con 2013 ~ 100% Likely
Fish-and-Chips-Yum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2012, 10:35 PM   #43
Drysi
Illiterate and Illusory

Michiko to Hatchin, hands down. It was like Mangaglobe decided to produce this fantastic dramady with great characters, music, and story, and then halfway through say 'aghscrewitwe'renotgettingnetworthforthisshit' and stop caring. The series seemed to fall short of getting any really solid promotion outside of its famous VAs voicing the protagonists, and ultimately it probably became more of a financial burden than a gift. But overall, Michiko to Hatchin was a gritty, heartfelt, colorful story and I loved every second.

And not so much that the series are underrated as they are just aging, I miss the Tenchi Muyo and Revolutionary Girl Utena crowds. They were fun.
Drysi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 11:57 PM   #44
touchmon
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Otaku View Post
*high fives* MB was actually the first manga I ever read! X3 I own all of the anime and manga for it except volume 8 of the manga. It's such a good series that gets overlooked because it's old. >_< Wataru Yoshizumi is a great author- have you seen/read Ultra Maniac?
Oh I loved Ultra Maniac back in the day. ^_^ I still have the first DVD lying in my house somewhere.

Another underrated one for me would be Phi Brain. Yes, it is about a bunch of kids solving puzzles, however it is much more than that! It just takes a while to get there.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2012, 10:41 AM   #45
Ani_BEE
Black Magic Woman

Guilty Crown was painful to watch. Alot of thing got lost in transit from script to animation, I flag it as the worst anime of the year actually.

"Another" was good but the ending was hijacked from the original story to be a slasher and lost the wonderful weekly suspense the series had.

Jinrui Wa Suitai Shimashita (Humanity has Declined) Ir Modoka worthing my my book though there is no tear jerking in this series.

Utena is consider a Shoujo Classic, like Eva you need to watch it. Mawaru Penguindrum was fun as hell.

Anohana: The Flower We Saw That Day
I still have to watch but has gotten great reviews.

FanEXPO
Wearing random Arda Wigs.
Madeline Hatter ~ Ever After High (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Anime North, (maybe) Otakuthon, FanEXPO '15
Nehelenia
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
My Wigs • Mascot, Costumes (Humanity has Declined) & D.Gray-man Poker Cards • Zori&Tabi from Japan

Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup revies!
Ani_BEE is online now   Reply With Quote