Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
Akune-chan

Contacts Help Galore!

Hello guys!

I never really thought that I would need contact lenses for a cosplay but now that I think about it, having them as an asset could really boost how a cosplay/crossplay can be taken.

I am a newbie to contact lenses and I am extremely cautious when it comes to my eyes so I would love it if ANYONE could help point me in the right direction.

My eye color is naturally a Green, Brown, golden mix, however they seem to be a medium green tone color or yellowish depending how the light hits my pupil.
---->http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...3758 58_n.jpg
---->http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...7 152_n-1.jpg
---->http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/j...38 02_n-1.jpg

I am interested in buying contacts for the following characters:
Orochimaru: http://i800.photobucket.com/albums/y...Orochimaru.jpg
(In some photos his eyes look golden green, in others his eyes are yellow with light green undertones though people used yellow.)

Marik Ishtar: http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p.../yamimarik.jpg
(I have no idea where to start with Marik. Are his eyes like a violet color or purple. Perhaps a more nature look would work?)

I was hoping if anyone knows of a good, clean website where I could buy a pair that won't swivel and pivot around my eye (hopefully but I heard that they all do that), and a pair of contacts that will not harm my eyes and would cover more that 3/4 of my eye color?

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I recently stumbled upon this website called zylsociety however they seem to be selling contacts over FB. >_>; Now I know this sounds a bit...shady, however they have many different photos of models apparently wearing their contact lenses and actual photos of people who bought from them and are wearing them perfectly fine. Their popular colors seem to be Cherry Red and various green and violet tones.

Did anyone ever hear about them before or buy from them?
They have some manufactures that I never heard of like Duaba and then the brand would be WonderEyes.

Any ideas?

If not, I have an idea of which contacts to buy from Pinyparadise or Honeycolor.com. Just not really sure if they would give me semi total coverage or they would just blend with my eyes.

Pinkyparadise ideas;
Marik: [G&G GBT Violet]

Sebastian Michaelis:[New Adult Red]

HoneyColor ideas;
Marik: [New Adult Violet]

Sebastian Michaelis: [Barbie Red]

I honestly gave up on finding contacts for Grell since I decided I do not really need them. ^^' I doubt anyone would notice the contacts since they look normally green from afar.

What do you guys think?

Last edited by Akune-chan : 02-04-2012 at 06:32 PM.

Unread 12-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #2
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

If you have never worn contacts before, go to your optician and find out what size your eyes are and if contacts are for you. I would also recommend asking him where the best place to buy contacts is.

As to where to buy the contacts I would check HERE for reviews on different sellers, and look around there, so you know a place has a good review.

Remember that at first contacts are VERY uncomfy which is why I always wear contacts for 2 hours a day several days before the con so I am used to it by the time the con comes. I wouldn't recommend wearing them past 8 hours a day. AND DO NOT SLEEP IN THEM. It is not good for your eyes or the contacts. If your eyes are sensitive I recommend buying some contact safe eye-drops, because contacts can dry your eyes out.

If you rub your eyes while contacts are in there is a good chance you will knock it off your pupil and it will go behind your eyelid, so if it disappears lift up your eyelid and fold it up and check under there. Don't worry contacts cannot get stuck behind your eye, I've asked my doctor about that and he said they cannot but they will get stuck under your eyelid.

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Last edited by cuddly_kitten : 12-02-2011 at 09:03 AM.
cuddly_kitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:10 AM   #3
Akune-chan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddly_kitten View Post
If you have never worn contacts before, go to your optician and find out what size your eyes are and if contacts are for you. I would also recommend asking him where the best place to buy contacts is.

As to where to buy the contacts I would check HERE for reviews on different sellers, and look around there, so you know a place has a good review.

Remember that at first contacts are VERY uncomfy which is why I always wear contacts for 2 hours a day several days before the con so I am used to it by the time the con comes. I wouldn't recommend wearing them past 8 hours a day. AND DO NOT SLEEP IN THEM. It is not good for your eyes or the contacts. If your eyes are sensitive I recommend buying some contact safe eye-drops, because contacts can dry your eyes out.

If you rub your eyes while contacts are in there is a good chance you will knock it off your pupil and it will go behind your eyelid, so if it disappears lift up your eyelid and fold it up and check under there. Don't worry contacts cannot get stuck behind your eye, I've asked my doctor about that and he said they cannot but they will get stuck under your eyelid.
I tried that forum before but it didn't really help for some reason since all of the lenses that were recommended were "doll" eyes or the pupil hole was too large. Since all of the crossplays I'm doing are male, I don't think enlarged eyes would look good...
Youknowit.com seems like a good site but the fact that them selling contacts is illegal kinda sends off red flags.

Thank you for the other tips though! I'll be sure to keep those in mind.
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:12 AM   #4
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

Sorry I've only bought regular colored contacts before :/ I know the violet/purple contacts (if you have pale skin) can make you look really sickly from a distance.

I've heard this is a good sight http://www.9mmsfx.com/

But thats what contact sizing is, if you get it your pupil size then it shouldn't be too big.

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Last edited by cuddly_kitten : 12-02-2011 at 09:16 AM.
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:34 AM   #5
Akune-chan

Thankfully I'm not that pale but thank you!
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:38 AM   #6
cuddly_kitten
The Weird Kitty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akune-chan View Post
Thankfully I'm not that pale but thank you!
Good luck with your cosplay and you're welcome

Upcoming cosplays:
Sakura Haruno 80%
Meiko 10%
Rukia 0%

Upcoming conventions:
Kawa Kon

Unread 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #7
Akune-chan

Any other suggestions?

Like would I really need contacts for Grell?
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:38 AM   #8
tereshkova2001

9mmsfx is a great site with excellent customer service, but they are expensive. (Which, when you consider that the lenses are hand-painted, isn't a surprise.)
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #9
Akune-chan

Yeah, that's why I'm a bit unwilling to buy from them...I am sure they'd give me amazing Snake Eyes and the perfect Purple shade for Marik but if I am only going to wear the cosplay once or twice, its a bit much...

Do you recommend any other sites?
Unread 12-02-2011, 09:57 PM   #10
Akune-chan

Does anyone have any other suggestions or something?
Unread 12-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #11
Ion
Lyrical gangster

Just posted in the other thread. Go forth and readeth.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Astrid - How to Train Your Dragon 2 | Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Tiki - Dragon's Crown | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 10:16 PM   #12
Akune-chan

Went forth and readeth 8D
Unread 12-07-2011, 05:55 PM   #13
Akune-chan

Any other suggestions?

Like did anyone ever use FashionContacts.com?
Unread 12-07-2011, 10:47 PM   #14
streamingjupiter
neko no hitai!

I've heard a lot of god things from Alice & Rabbit's: http://www.aliceandrabbitshop.com/apps/webstore/

Recently Completed
-MEIKO Alice of Human Sacrifice [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Matryoshka [Vocaloid]
-Gumi Difficult Love [Vocaloid]
-Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind [Ghibli]

Planned
-Eleanor Lamb [Bioshock 2]
-Gumi Love is War
streamingjupiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-08-2011, 12:03 AM   #15
novaraven1

After you have been checked by an actual optometrist and make sure you are able to wear contact lenses, some people actually can't and it will damage their vision permanently if they try, you will be looking for lenses with a smaller Diameter. 14.0-14.5ish is the normal looking range and you can find them in circle lenses and theatrical contact lenses. You just have to make sure. Most "doll eye" or "circle lenses" are around 14.5 D and even go as large as 15 to give that unnatural enlarging effect.
I have smaller eyes to begin with and can't wear anything over 14.5 without looking like an alien. ^^;

For cheaper lenses try honeycolor.com or pinkyparadise.com.

A suggestion for Grell- if you need a prescription go for the beaucon vibrant match green lenses. They are comfortable to wear because they have a higher water content (look for this around 45% if you're going for all day eight hour lenses) and at 14.2 D they do not enlarge your eyes much at all. The vibrant match line of colours also shows up very well in pics, I've tried the blue, green and purple ones and they give you a good pop of colour with natural looking shading. The center hole is not over large, it's just normal as far as they go.

To compare the dollyeye brand has a slightly smaller center hole, but I actually find it blurs my vision when the lens shifts when I blink because of that and they have a huge enlarging effect on me with their larger Diameter. The green also turns out much darker with a faker looking pattern printed on them, though other colours in that line are actually much brighter compared to the beaucon ones I have. I would recommend the dollyeye pink as the best light pink lens I've found so far.

If you don't need RX, they have a faker looking pale green in their anime/special effects section that really stands out. It only comes in plaino lenses tho, nothing with an RX prescription to it. These "crazy lenses" are made from thicker material, let no light/your own eye colour through the coloured part only in the very center hole and around the whites, and are more uncomfortable to wear. But they give you a very flat very obvious colour pattern that is great for some anime looks.

You should not wear theatrical style lenses for more than six hours at a time since they do not let oxygen through to your eyes at all and you can get fuzzy vision and even damage to your eyes from having them on too long.

The cats eye prints also tend to swivel when you are buying the cheap ones because they are not weighted at the bottom to keep them vertical in your eyes. More expensive places sometimes offer this feature but you have to make sure and ask about it.

All contact lenses will move in your eyes, you just have to remember to blink to get them back to center. I often find myself reaching to straighten my glasses when my vision goes fuzzy only to remember I'm wearing contacts and I just have to blink more to get them lining up right again. Use visine eyedrops to prevent redness and add extra lubrication, it will help you wear your lenses a little longer too before they start to feel dry and uncomfortable.

When you first start wearing lenses, you do need to gradually get used to them a few hours a day adding more time each day. Your eyelids actually have to get used to going over the extra thickness without being irritated, especially for those thicker theatrical brands of lenses.

I hope this was a bit more info. Good luck with your search!

Last edited by novaraven1 : 12-08-2011 at 12:23 AM.
novaraven1 is offline   Reply With Quote