Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > .Hack

Unread 01-01-2012, 02:52 PM   #1
Zerelixon
Cheshire's Grin

Azure Kite/Tri-Edge weapon

Okay. So, I guess this probably is a long shot, but after many frustrating hours of no results searching through forums, Google, tutorials and so on, I decide to turn to you to see if I can find some help here on cosplay.com.

My dream cosplay is Azure Kite from the .hack//Roots and G.U series. Therefore I also wish to make the props and costumes as awesome as absolutely possible, and for me then it's not enough to just make the weapons as "stationary" props. I want lights in them too, and I also want them to function, in other words make a mechanism so I can fold out the two arms on the weapon as Kite can do in the series/games. The mechanism is what I wish to get help with, as I already know how to make the main weapon and install the lights.

Here are some references so you can see what I'm talking about:
Weapon: http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2164/2...40400f3592.jpg
Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOI5c...lpage#t=16 5s

It's not so visible in the video, but the top and bottom "arm" on the weapon is folded back towards the handle and when he picks them out they unfold to how the weapon looks like in the picture.

So bottom line: Does anyone know how I can build in a mechanism to do something like this?

I was thinking I perhaps could make a mechanism where the arms normally are folded back, but by pushing a switch of sort in the handle, they spring out and then fold back again when I loosen the pressure on the switch.

... If you guys understand what I mean... The problem is, I have never done anything like this in a prop before, but the mechanism shouldn't be THAT hard to make, should it? I would really appreciate any help I could get. Also, if I'm not being clear enough, please tell me and I'll try to better explain what I mean.

Thank you in advance.
Zerelixon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

So it sounds like you want a sort of a cam system. You'll see this sort of thing done on action figures and other toys. Pulling the trigger acts like a swing arm, with a wire at the end (3rd class lever) the wire pulls a arms in the internals of the device that causes the arms to rotate. A tension spring (rubber band most likely) on the opposite side of the fulcrum from each arm causes the arms to return to their original position when the trigger is released.

Toy manufacturers would make this sort of thing out of molded plastic, but it is certainly possible to carve something like this out of wood, possibly with steel pins serving as the fulcrums. Most other materials you could work with would end up being too flimsy or too much of a pain to use.

You'll have to do most of the design details yourself. Just take apart some toys with moving parts for inspiration and start sketching things out. Professionals would do this using expensive CAD software, and potentially you can too, but they take a lot of time to learn.

I believe there are also books on building wooden toys that can give some inspiration. Occasionally, these sort of toys are covered on the PBS show The Woodwright's Shop. (but you can ignore the part where he doesn't use any power tools).
Unread 01-06-2012, 03:24 AM   #3
Zerelixon
Cheshire's Grin

Thank you so much for the tips. I'll see if I can find some cheap/old toys with mechanisms like that I can take apart and study.
Zerelixon is offline   Reply With Quote