Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Masquerade / Skit Discussion

Unread 12-14-2003, 02:24 AM   #1
dani
Boots were made 4 walking

Learning a dance from tape?

Hello all..

It's my first time trying to prepare a dance number, so in my time inbetween costume making I should start to learn the dance itself.

Is there a technique a bit more advanced than playing a second or two a hundred times and try to repeat it, and then step to the next two seconds? Is there a symbol system to make notes of the sequence of steps?

Any help will be appreciated.

Ah: hope this is the right forum for this question. If not admins feel free to move it to the right place.

Thanks

Dani
dani is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2003, 07:34 AM   #2
Angelphie
Angelic Selphie

Well when I learn ParaPara, I generally watch the routine a few times to get a basic idea of it, then I dance along with it several times. Once I know it roughly, I can go back and concentrate on the awkward or detailed bits. Watching it through lets you see where any repeats are so might save a little work.

You can break it up into sections to learn, doing the same as I said above.
I usually try fairly large sections rather than worrying about individual steps, I can perfect those later. ParaPara is mostly arm movements, but when thereís tricky foot work, I sometimes learn the stepping and arm motions separately to start with. Also you can slow down the tape if necessary.

I canít really comment on dancing except ParaPara, but some of that could be applicable. Just find what works for you. Everyone learns differently.
Angelphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2003, 07:13 PM   #3
Eleryth
Rollin Rollin Rollin

When friends and I learned dance moves for a con panel (Dance Like Nobody's Watching - which turned out to be a lot of fun and a great stress reliever), we just watched and did sections over and over again. I don't think there is an easy way to do it. We watched a few times, then broke it down into sections. Eventually we did the entire thing, always practicing the part before.

Counting actually helps, too. If you can count out the beats, and notice which moves you have to do when. We also use the music for cues (which might have come from years of synchronized swimming) - which moves happen on which words. Combined with the counting, it works fairly well.

Good luck with everything! I wish I could watch the final preformance.
Eleryth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2003, 02:50 PM   #4
Kitten
U+K Kitten

This is gonna sound sooo stupid, but it works for me, and it might work for you, too...

There should be a feel to every dance, and if you can tap into it, the moves will be a lot easier to remember. I've been doing recitals for my jazz class for years now, and that's usually what I do. For example, if the dance is happy, the moves should coincide with that feelings. If it's easier, you can even make up a story to go along with it.

I am SUCH a dork. XD Oh, well. If you get bored someday... ^^;;;
Unread 12-15-2003, 02:54 PM   #5
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten
This is gonna sound sooo stupid, but it works for me, and it might work for you, too...
If it works for you it can't be stupid.

Thanks all. i'm trying to put together a way, combinig all your suggestions. Will keep you all posted of my progress. thanks

Dani
Unread 12-16-2003, 02:47 PM   #6
FrozenFairy
Little blue

Good luck ^^
FrozenFairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2003, 03:45 PM   #7
Eccoglyph
Born to be stressed

When my cosplay group was learning Thriller, we watched it a few times, and then, like someone said above, broke it up based on musical phrases. It also helped to count steps out loud, and have sounds to go along with moves. "1 2 +1 and side, and 1 and Dadadadadadadadada clap!" Even after we were pretty good, I could hear my friends whispering the counts as they danced. I know I did it during the performance. :-) The hardest part was trying to determine direction - TV's mirror image when you're watching it. :-)
Eccoglyph is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2003, 08:51 PM   #8
Rethul
It's an extravaganza!

Dani, one thing you should do is once you become slightly comfortable with it (as in can do the jist of it from memory) then have someone watch you do it and have them critique on where you need to improve. It's hard to judge yourself at where you are in something.
Rethul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 08:13 AM   #9
Angelphie
Angelic Selphie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eccoglyph
The hardest part was trying to determine direction - TV's mirror image when you're watching it. :-)
If you can, reverse the tape so that you can just copy directly.
Angelphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2003, 12:39 PM   #10
dani

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelphie
If you can, reverse the tape so that you can just copy directly.
I did that, compliments of Adobe Premiere. Also overimposed the phonetics on top (for karaoke/lypsynch) and zoomed in on the wide whole-stage shots.

Thanks all for your suggestions

Dani