Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Metal Gear

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 13 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM   #1
Metal_Gear_Sean

Solid Snake from Metal Gear Solid

Ok so this is my first attempt ever at this and could really use a lot of help the first time so I can see just how this is done. I want to try and make a Solid Snake Costume as he appears in the PlayStation game, and the gamecube game "The Twin Snakes".

If anyone could please give me advice on the following items:

Sneaking suit base layer: Kind of a charcoal or dark grey, I was thinking about buying a tactical top and pants for this that fit rather tight.

Sneaking Suit Vest: It is a dark Midnight blue or dark navy colored vest that fits over the base layer of the sneaking suit...i'm at a loss on this one. I'm not sure what material to use, it is clearly a "Tougher" looking material, but still flexible. I'll need to sew it to my base layer as well to keep it in place.

SOCOM Mk 23 replica with scilencer: not sure where to get one.

Bandanna: (Done) I went to a local store and got a bolt of correctly colored cloth for this one, no problem.

Boots: I have looked at a few pair of black boots, lower cut...I'm not exactly sure what he wears.

Any help or locations of items to take a look at would be greatly appreciated, I am very new to this.
Metal_Gear_Sean is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #2
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

Welcome fellow MGSer!

More specific info on MGS cosplay can be found at the MGS Forums.

I'm also working on a MGS1/TS Solid Snake cosplay, you can see my progress on my Cosplay.com profile here or my dA here

Most cons have very strict rules about airsoft replicas (some cons, like Fanime, don't even allow airsoft, whether it fires or not), so if you plan on going to a con, you'll either have to make one, or gut/fill/disable an airsoft so it can't fire. Tokyo Marui is probably the company that makes the best heckler & koch mk23 airsoft, but they've discontinued it as far as I know.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-10-2011, 09:53 PM   #3
Metal_Gear_Sean

Thanks for the direction! Also, nice Snake costume, can I ask what kind of belt has the two leg straps for rappelling? I am not sure what it is called (Was it an LBE-H harness or something?)
Unread 12-11-2011, 01:15 AM   #4
rj_sosongco
Rated R for Radical!

I don't actually know what the belt is called, I made mine from scratch using a luggage strap, a ton of different cellphone pouches, and other stuff. The thigh straps are 2 halves of the strap from an old messenger bag I had.
rj_sosongco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #5
Metal_Gear_Sean

Yeah I managed to make one using straps from other things and two D rings. Also, I found out that Evike.com still sells a (plastic) replica mk23 with detachable scilencer. Most other places have discontinued it. I'm still deciding on the base layer between a smaller flight suit or tactical layer. And the vest is after that. I've found some boots I think will be good, so once I get the base layer and vest maybe I can get a picture up.