Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 02-11-2014, 02:53 PM   #1
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Skinny Fat: What has helped you get rid of yours?

I'm trying to get "in shape" for my cosplays this summer. But I'm already thin so I can't just go on some crazy weight-loss diet. Overall, I'm fine with how my body looks except for ONE PLACE! My stomach is the only place where I seem to store any fat. It's not much, but enough to bother me and make me uncomfortable showing that part of my body. I've done some research and a phrase that pops up often in this case is "skinny fat".

I've already changed my diet up a little bit to prevent the constant bloating that I usually have an issue with. It has improved that a little bit, and I've lost 1.5" around my waist. But that stupid fat area is still the same.

As for foods, I'm a bit of a picky eater...lol. But I've been cutting out foods that are high in sodium, sugar, and fat and trying to eat things with more natural sugars. I've also cut down on my carb intake (I used to eat a big bowl of pasta multiple times a week). To try and get some veggies in my system (which I HATE), I've been drinking green smoothies (fruit smoothies with veggies, usually spinach or kale, in them) multiple times a week. It's a bit tough because I work full-time at a tax office so lunch is often me trying to find the best frozen food in my diet range and microwaving it.

I haven't been working out a whole lot because I'm kind of at a loss of what will work best. I've seen a billion different suggestions and I don't know where to start. I usually stick to light-medium cardio by taking 30-45 min walks around my neighborhood (composed of a steep hill). But then it rained for a week so I opted not to go out and get soaked. I do have some weights but I don't know what to do with them to serve my purpose.

Has anyone else been in this position (or maybe is currently?)? What has worked to get rid of your "skinny fat"? My big convention is in May so I don't have an eternity to try things that don't work xD I've heard that the right kind of weight lifting can help, as can yoga? I can't just do a billion crunches a day because oftentimes that just builds muscle BEHIND the fat which will just make me look worse.

I would love suggestions or just for everyone to share what they're trying

Unread 02-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #2
belligerent
Viking Metal

It doesn't sound like you do any strength training. Google "beginner weightlifting program" and find one that matches up with the equipment available to you.

Fats aren't necessarily bad for you; eating them won't make you fat, they just have a lot of calories and can add up if you aren't careful. They are also promoters of satiety which means if you do have some fats in your diet, you will feel less of a need to supplement with high-carb sugary crap. Sugars do weird shit to your insulin levels, which can cause your body to hang on to fat. So cut out as many of those as you can.

It's also possible you just won't have a six-pack no matter what you do. That's fine. Genetically, everybody wasn't meant to play basketball like Michael Jordan, either.

Do, however, eat more vegetables and do strength training (and also possibly some sprinting a couple days a week). I don't know that it'll be a magic shortcut to a sixpack, but it will help you be more healthy and could help change your body composition.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Denmark
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:13 PM   #3
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

No, I don't do any lifting. I tried for a while but realized I had no clue what I was doing...lol

I didn't know that about sugars and insulin, that's really interesting. I'll have to be more careful about my sugar (high fructose corn syrup is in EVERYTHING these days).

I'm not aiming for a six-pack, I mostly just want to be toned.

I'll definitely have to give sprinting a try, maybe on NOT a steep hill so I don't hurt myself lol. And look into the weightlifting like you suggested! Thanks a bunch!
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:18 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

You don't have to sprint for a particularly long amount of time. Try looking up "HIIT" (high intensity interval training) or "tabatas." Some people use those to break plateaus or whatever. Also sprinting uses different muscles than walking or running, so be forewarned that easing into a program is probably a good idea.

Also, "toning" doesn't really exist so much as you can either lose fat or gain muscle. Doing either will result in a "toned" appearance, and doing both will get you there sooner, although it is difficult to do both at the same time since building muscle generally requires a caloric surplus.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki

Last edited by belligerent : 02-11-2014 at 03:20 PM.
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:36 PM   #5
nikkiolie

Belligerent summed most of it up that I would say. I'm a strong believer in weight lifting. I have been doing serious weight lifting for about a year now and I have seen some great improvements. I also really like HIIT training. Basically doing sprints for 15 seconds and a slower recovery pace for 45 seconds repeat 10-15 times. It doesn't have to be running, it could be on the elliptical or bike too. Pretty much if you are using a machine it is the easiest to do on an elliptical or bike but if you are out on a track you can do running, otherwise you are spending too much time increasing and decreasing the speed on a treadmill.

I have gone from a bit of a pudge on my stomach to practically a flat stomach, and that is without changing much of my diet. So I think if you were to add a little bit more exercise in what you are doing you should be good.

Next cons:
Sakuracon '14
Kumoricon '14
Newcon '14
nikkiolie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 03:47 PM   #6
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I guess by toning I mean getting a flat stomach.

I'll look up those things too!

I seriously wish I had stationary bike or similar equipment. I could probably afford a gym membership now so I could do that. Otherwise I'll have to stick to mixing up my walking/jogging/sprinting at my local track.

I guess the only issue I see with the sprinting is it tends to irritate my asthma, but I guess if I start with small increments like you stated, nikkiolie, then maybe it would help with my endurance? It's hard to tell if I'm pushing too hard or not sometimes.

Sounds like you were pretty much where I am now, I'm glad to hear that lifting and HIIT has worked for you! Those are definitely going at the top of my list.
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #7
TenshiNoMizu

Thank you so much for posting this thread, because I'm having the same issue haha.

A while ago, due to health and stress issues I had actually dropped to a totally unhealthy weight. I've gained 30 lbs since then and am currently at 115-ish (and I'm 5'4"). So I'm at a healthy weight but my problem is I just can't seem to get the 'flat tummy' that I really want and a lot of my costumes show off.

My problem is I really don't eat a lot of bad foods. In my house it's mainly chicken, veggies and occasionally some pasta/rice. I'm living with my family at the moment and most of them have certain medical issues that make it so they can't eat a lot of different foods, so we all avoid fast foods and things like that.

I wish I could go running or walking around like that but unfortunately I have a bad knee (that -if I had medical insurance- I need surgery on). So after walking for about ten minutes, I can't do it anymore. =/ So I'm sorta at a stand-still haha

- No cons in the near future

Working On:
  • 'Raver' Versions of the original 4 starter Pokemon
  • Floral Fallal Yuna (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Secret <3
TenshiNoMizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:11 PM   #8
belligerent
Viking Metal

Ah, one more thing I forgot. Definitely make sure you're getting enough sleep. Not getting enough sleep can cause your body to produce cortisol (which is a stress hormone) and that can also make your body cling onto fat instead of letting you lose it. 7 or 8 hours is ideal, but you may be able to get by with less and you may need even more than that. Everybody is different.

I actually was diagnosed recently with a sleep disorder called Periodic Limb Movement Disorder (PLMD...also possibly Restless Leg Syndrome...) where my legs twitch periodically during the night, which wakes me up, although I don't realize it, and disturbs my sleep. I'm medicating for it now, but for a while I was having difficulty losing bodyfat. It was only one piece of the puzzle, but good, restful sleep is definitely one thing a lot of people skimp on....especially cosplayers, lol.
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:19 PM   #9
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I definitely TRY to get sleep. I have issues falling asleep (even when I feel really tired) and I always wake up a lot during the night. I can fall asleep if I take a sleeping pill but I still wake up during the night, and sometimes that can leave me feeling dead tired the rest of the day, so I only use them for special occasions.

I always wondered if I had something like that. I used to wake up with bruises that weren't there the night before. Nowadays I just often end up with my covers totally un-tucked from the mattress after a few nights, or sometimes the covers get rotated. Though that's been happening less lately. Part of my issue is my inability to shut my brain off so I just start thinking of all the things I have to do and stressing about it, which obviously keeps me up lol

Out of curiosity, how did they diagnose your PLMD?
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

I got a referral from my doctor for a sleep study because I also had excessive daytime sleepiness and was tired no matter how long I slept (I could sleep four hours or twenty hours and feel the same afterwards). My brother has sleep hypopnea and possible narcolepsy, so I was curious if I had the same. He found out after falling asleep at the wheel and totalling his car...after which he got sleep studies done.

Basically, they put you in a weird room, hook you up to a ton of uncomfortable machines (the finger one is the worst one) and tell you to fall asleep, heh. If you can, they monitor you through the night to test your brain activity, breathing, body movements, etc. Apparently I had something like over 200 distinct limb movements in 6 hours, and I woke up 12 times though I only remember waking up once.

It can be expensive if you don't have health insurance, and you have to have a doctor refer you if you want your insurance to pay for it....but everybody's insurance is different, so some may or may not cover it.
Unread 02-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #11
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

Oh wow, that sounds crazy! That's what I figured. I've always wanted to do that since I've had sleep problems since I was about 12, but I guess the doctor doesn't agree with me on the severity of the problem. But that's really interesting, thank you for sharing that!
Unread 02-13-2014, 11:26 AM   #12
konekoanni

A lot of women naturally have a "pad" of fat over the uterus that is near-impossible to get rid of completely, so don't get discouraged if you work really hard and there's still a little bit left. You've already gotten some great advice about weights from these guys, which is definitely something you should look into, but also take a look at your posture! An anterior pelvic tilt can make stomach pudge more pronounced, but is correctable with strength training and flexibility exercises.

I'm also on the skinnyfat side, but slowly getting more fit since I started seriously working out four months ago! I do cardio and bodyweights, plus swimming (which is a little of both mixed together). I was so weak when I started that I could barely handle bodyweights, but now that I'm feeling stronger and more comfortable, I think I'm about ready to start free weights.

I'd also recommend tracking calories, not because you need to "diet" necessarily, but because it's a great way to make sure you're getting enough protein (and enough calories in general!). I have problems with undereating, which is inhibiting my strength progress, so if you do start lifting weights, make sure you're getting enough food! It may seem counter-intuitive, and can be a difficult mental block to get around (at least, it was for me) but it does help a lot.

Kiryuin Satsuki [Kill la Kill] 40% - AX 2014
Super Sailor Uranus [Sailor Moon SuperS] 60% - Anime Conji 2014
Nuriko [Fushigi Yuugi] 15% - AX 2014

The Fashionable Cupcake
konekoanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2014, 12:28 PM   #13
Rexluna
Morrigan Disapproves

I know my posture is definitely an issue. When I'm standing, my posture is great, but I end up slouching when I sit in most chairs for some reason. I actually am hoping that using a corset will help when I'm at work so I don't get distracted with huge projects and forget to check my posture. I do deskwork full-time.

I have been trying to track my calories and nutrition via a phone app, but the one problem I've run into is certain meals don't exist, so it's not always 100% accurate. I'm probably under-eating as well, but I never thought of that as a bad thing when it comes to losing that fat, lol.
Unread 02-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #14
xxmossgardenxx
Amahime

I have the same problem and it seems to happen a tiny bit in my arms too. I've got a really bad pinched muscle things going on in my right bit/bottom area that makes it really difficult to do much such as running around or leg lifts are excruciatingly painful. Stretching is exceedingly painful as well but I am pushing myself anyhow. Stretches that target your core seem to really help as well from what I've been able to notice. So maybe some strength training yoga? Its something I am going to try out more.

~*Upcoming Con*~
Anime Boston 2014
xxmossgardenxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2014, 01:33 AM   #15
crosschord

Are you me? Because the stuff you're posting sounds exactly like something I would post.

I'm tall and also skinny, but I'm getting that "muffin top" going on, and I hate it. I'm at the age where I'm realizing my metabolism is slowing down, so I need to start watching how much fast food and crap food I eat, otherwise I'll be 10 years older and 100 pounds heavier.

I'm also a picky eater, so people will suggest "eat healthy" and I'm like "there...isn't much else for me to eat." I don't eat many veggies, I can't eat salads because lettuce bothers my stomach, and I never really acquired a taste for other ones. I eat fruit, but I have a hard time just eating it all the time. I want to try newer healthier things, but I don't want to spend a bunch of money only to find out I don't like something.

Long story short, I am cutting back on my fast food, and slowly cutting down on soda and drinking more water. I've even started a 30 day ab workout (http://30dayfitnesschallenges.com/30...bs-challenge/), which I hope works soon. I've been going through stuff, so I've suffered a huge setback, but I'm hoping to pick stuff up again and keep going.

Upcoming Conventions!
Anime Expo - July 2014
Anime California - August 2014

Upcoming Cosplays!
Beast - Black Butler
Zoe Hanji - Attack on Titan
Mai - Avatar: The Last Airbender
Pyrrha Nikos - RWBY
Miriel - Fire Emblem: Awakening
Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill La Kill
crosschord is offline   Reply With Quote