Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 12-26-2015, 04:05 PM   #1
ZeroEnna

Losing 11 to 15 lbs in the next twelve months

Hey everyone,

for 2016, I set a goal to get in shape finally.
Since I'm focussing more on cross-cosplay lately, I thought that my more than just a bit of a tummy has to vanish. A few years ago, I still went to school (had a way of about 30 minutes to and from school), and paid closer attention to what I ate....I maintained 143 to 149 lbs (depending on what and how much I ate, and if P.E. was cancelled) measuring in at 5'6".

Now, this was about 5 years ago, and now that I'm a 9-to-5 worker and married, I didn't pay that much attention lately.....

Well, now, I'm currently at 165 lbs, which, in my opinion is tooo much. So, if I lost 11 to 15 lbs, that would be great. Would that be realistic by the end of 2016?

Now, I would like to get some additional tips to add to my "masterplan".

First of all: Get rid of my "nutella" addiction. I usually start my day with nutella.....this has to stop, since this brings in more calories than Ican usually burn.

Second: While I'm not sure about sports in general (I'm feel a little uneasy about going to the gym), I will replace this with elongated walks and more playing (throwing sticks, running around etc.) with the dog. Since I also take vocal lessons, I need to do some physical exercises.

Third: Paying more attention to what I eat....I'm not a big fan of any kind of diet, since 1) it mostly means renouncing things, and 2) as soon as you eat "normal" again, you get that nasty yoyo effect.
Instead, I want to balance out my nutrition, following the general rule "the more colorful your food is, the better".

After 12 months of keeping track of what I eat and doing some more physical exercises, I hopefully lose some pounds, resulting in a more defined body, that I can better cos- and crossplay with.Also I hope to reduce stress with this and eventually get a more balanced mood (I've been a big bullhead lately....much to my wife's chagrin).

Well...wish me luck and as I said: Your input is more than welcome!

Regards

Zero
ZeroEnna is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-26-2015, 10:25 PM   #2
TunaTetrazzini
Beatbox Champion

Hello!

It sure is possible to lose 11-15 pounds in a year. In fact, it may only take a couple months depending on what you do. Having a healthy life style is just as much eating right as exercising. If you were to get cut down on your nutella and eat more vegetables, that would knock off a few pounds right off the bat. Also, how much soda do you drink? Soda and many fruit juices like Ocean Spray are basically liquid sugar, and add up quickly (one bottle of that OS stuff has like 50 grams of sugar alone). Sticking to water, organic juices and those mix-in packets helps cut down on sugar.

As for the exercise, it doesn't take a whole lot if you wanna lose 10 pounds or so. Going on longer walks or even getting up and stretching during TV commercials makes a difference.
Have you considered poi spinning too? Not only does it look cool, but it's non-impact, aids muscle control and toning, and keeps your joints well oiled, helping prevent stiffness and even osteoporosis as you get older.

Looks like you got a good plan going on here! Keep up the good work

Day 1: Madoka Kaname (PMMM)/TBD
Day 2: Princess Rosalina (Super Mario Galaxy/Smash Bros)
Day 3: Neptune (Hyperdimension Neptunia)/TBD
TunaTetrazzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2015, 03:49 AM   #3
ZeroEnna

Hello,

thank you for your reply

About the drinks: I usually drink still water and tea (mostly sage tea with a teaspoon of honey, this helps especially during vocal work and rehearsals), so no soda here

Rearding poi spinning. Yeah, it looks cool, but I don't think it's the right thing for me. The only thing that would kind of tempt me, would be HMB, which would also come in handy for cosplay photoshoots and skits. But finding a trainer seems hard, and it's not very cheap-

Anyway, thank you for your assessment. That really lifts me up, and hopefully, I reach the 10 pounds
ZeroEnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #4
proxycomplex
proxycomplex

Good luck on your weight loss plan! It's a totally doable goal, maybe you could even loose more if you continue to keep it up! remember to switch weight training days with aerobic exercises- the focused weight training wakes up your muscles and builds more muscle fiber so when it comes time to do aerobic exercises your muscles are firing at a much higher pace so you can burn more! and always remember to stretch to help keep those muscles from getting too tight. have fun!
proxycomplex is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2016, 09:07 PM   #5
chibilaharl

Look into medifast, it can burn a quick 10 off in a week, and it is doctor reccomended. that being said, talk to a doctor first. Alot of peronal doctors do a coaching program for it that is cheaper. Keep in mind that the first 10 pounds or so is simply what you carry from eating, and mnost likely will gain about 5 pounds or so back once you go off.
chibilaharl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2016, 07:14 PM   #6
5kyMarshall
The Sky's The Limit

That's alot of time! Very possible.
I assume you are female? Makes a difference in weight.

How much do you snack? If alot, then try to minimise it (or even stop it). This will lose you weight alone and will also allow you to eat your meals normally.

As above suggested too, softdrinks or any sugar drinks can be replaced with water. It's really not that hard as you think.
5kyMarshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2016, 07:21 PM   #7
EdenAnarchy

I've lost 15 pounds in the last 3 months by cutting my calories down (I used an online calorie calculator to factor up my daily calorie intake to lose 1 pound a week) and doing 10 minutes of exersize 1-2 times a day. I have gluten intolerance, so I don't eat wheat products, I eat a good bit of protein, and one meal a day is a spinach salad (usually dinner)

SC Comi-Con (Saturday)
Momocon (Saturday)
AWA (Sunday)

ArtDeco Rogue- X-Men (completed)
Human Raava- Legend of Korra (%60)
EdenAnarchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-17-2016, 08:40 PM   #8
yoopees

Losing weight is always a perplexing dilemma. No one diet works. There isn't a magic pill (if there was, we'd all get the desired body) or those BS "meal replacements" etc. You literally have to work your butt off. Let alone, be strict on yourself.

Losing weight generally falls under a few categories :
1. Daily intake of food. Good vs Bad. what to eat vs. what you should not eat.
2. Moderate to Severe workout. Cardio can only do so much unless you're a marathon runner. But specifically speaking, you will need to go against gravity (lift weights)
3. SLEEP. My god sleep is when your body does the best.
4. Reduce stress level. Now this is the hardest of all. High levels of stress really hurts your weight loss, muscle gains, well anything positive. Having reduced stress will DRASTICALLY help you.
5. After losing the weight, keeping it off. There are so many people who reach their end goal only to bloat back again because they get sloppy.
6. Staying fit is expensive. Seriously, if you can go to a farmers market, go when they're about to close or the last 30 min. You can get a lot of good fruits and veggies for cheaper since they need to get rid of their crop.

Generally speaking, there is a calorie intake you should be aiming for. NEVER skip meals, if you do, your body will "store" fats and will make you bloat/ get fatter faster. If you're trying to get bigger/grow muscles, you need to feed yourself so your muscles dont cannibalize itself.

It's all about timing and what to eat and when to eat. For me personally, I eat every 3~4 hours. The big 3 breakfast lunch dinner, and 2~4 in between snacks of either a good fat (unsalted nuts, avocados) or good carb or both

Breakdown :
High LEAN protein such as a steak, buffalo, elk, chicken. Do not eat lamb...sadly lamb is very fatty
Good Carbs : brown rice, quinoa, yams, sweet potatoes, etc.
Good fats : unsalted nuts, avocados
Good veggies : what ever veggies you like minus lettuce....it's just water and have little to no nutritional value. Nothing from a can.

To assist your weight loss, you can grab a thermogenic (stimulated or non-stimulated...depending on how caffeine affects you) and will assist your weight loss

Genetics also plays a huge role as well.

That pretty much sums it up. Once you get the discipline, keep it. Losing weight takes months while gaining weight takes days

Finished Cosplays:
MMPR Green Ranger
MMPR Yellow Ranger
MMPR Blue Ranger
Comic style Spiderman
Superior Spiderman
Captain Spiderman w/ Shield

Cosplays coming soon:
Dairanger
Spider Korea? working on design
yoopees is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2016, 12:52 AM   #9
varietta

U can lose 15 lbs easy in a few months. it is pretty easy if you exercise and cut down on sugary drinks / junk food / desserts.

main thing is dont just diet alone and eat less. it never works. when you eat normal again, you'll immediately gain it back. you'l have to burn it off by working out.

running when slightly overweight is bad for the bones/joints. so instead, just go on light "jogs". 20-30min light jogging 4-5 times a week is more than enough usually if you diet as well.

cut out a lot of the bad food from you diet. don't cut it out entirely at first. key is to let you body adjust to the lower sugar intake. else you'll likely have a desire to eat that nutella or chocolate bar one day-and there goes all your hard work.

good luck. i did the same thing at the end of 2014. went 3 inches off my waist in 3 months. it's hard work but dont give up
varietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2016, 08:10 PM   #10
aquacat

15 lbs can be easily attained by then. A few tips I have found:

1) Drink a gallon of water a day to aid weight loss, it helps flush away fat.
2) Eat less processed foods/sodium. You want to eat no more than 2000mg a day.
3) Exercise every day, even if it's only ten minutes. It's better than none!
4) Track everything you eat with an app like MyFitnessPal - helps put calories in perspective.
5) Swap you guilty pleasure foods with healthier choices. I swapped cookies for raw coconut with a bit of carob. For chips I switched to kale chips. (If kidney stones run in your family you may want to stay away from kale, or at least pair it with calcium while eating it).

It takes 21 days to form a habit. Small changes lead to big results. Keep it up, you got this.

Last edited by aquacat : 04-02-2016 at 08:12 PM.
aquacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2016, 05:59 AM   #11
styleday

15lbs is easy to lose I think.

Get a plan for yourself and move on.