Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-30-2014, 05:03 PM   #1
Ink
We're all mad here!

Skinny Bitch, by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin?

Long explanation, super-short question. Bear with me.

Let me start out with saying that I'm not trying to lose weight.

What I am trying to do is firm up, especially around my tummy, chin and waist. Losing a couple of cup sizes wouldn't hurt either (I'm currently a 30FF UK-size, and those bras are expensive!).

Now, I know what I need to do in order to do this - I need to stop eating crap and start moving my lazy, procrastinating butt.

And that, exactly, is the problem. I'm lazy. I'm weak-willed. I procrastinate like there's no tomorrow. I deal with my problems by ignoring them (at least this problem), and I ignore the consequences I know it will lead to. I really hate exercising. Almost as much as I hate cooking.

In short, I need a good slap around the head and some harsh marching orders (from myself).

I found this book on Amazon called Skinny Bitch - it's apparently a series of (extremely) though-love tips for how to get in shape. It looks to be exactly what I need.

Has anyone read these? Are they any good, or just another fad after your money?

I just want to know whether they're a good read or not, or if I should just save my money
And the mome raths outgrabe."
Ink is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-30-2014, 06:55 PM   #2
Floating World

I think that you have to eat a strict vegan diet if you follow that program.

Also, I feel like people who think they are too "lazy" to exercise really just haven't found something that they like/gives them the results that are encouraging. If you are the kind of person who responds positively to being shamed into things, go for it. I feel like few people respond positively to that in a way that can bring about results.
"... Living only for the moment, turning our full attention to the pleasures of the moon, the snow, the cherry blossoms and the maple leaves; singing songs, drinking wine, diverting ourselves in just floating, floating; ... refusing to be disheartened, like a gourd floating along with the river current: this is what we call the floating world..." Asai Ryoi, c. 1661
Floating World is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 07:09 PM   #3
Henna Red

First thing I'd like to say -- you have some very nice costumes.

Now, as to your question.

I borrowed that book (and others from the same author) at my local library once -- I found them to be interesting with a few good ideas (and an interesting sense of humor), but most of the information in them are things I also have found elsewhere on the net. It's 'tough-love' yes -- but it's done more for shock value than anything else. Also, a lot of the books talk mostly about diet -- which is only half of the battle. Healthy eating is very important, especially when paired with exercise -- but if you're looking for toning, I don't know if the book would help you that much.

The 'Skinny Bitch' DVDs, however, I did buy. (I have the ones called 'Body' and 'Boot Camp'.) They're exercise programs, good routines that constantly keep you moving, and don't require a lot of space or exercise equipment. I think the most they suggest is a mat and 2lb weights. The exercises do seem to be better for toning than weight loss, and focus on the arms, waist, legs, and stomach. The only downside is that the routines tend to run a little long -- sometimes up to an hour. (You could choose to do half of the routine one day, and the other half the next, though.)

Before you would start any program or diet, I would suggest starting out with some basics, and get your body used to some simple exercises and stretches. Making yourself do something small everyday at the same time will build a good habit -- which makes keeping up with a routine a lot easier later.

(Also, if you like, take a look around sites like LiveStrong -- they have some helpful and interesting articles, including exercise instructions. (Here's one on chin-exercises.) That way you can form your own opinions on diet, and also design your own routines instead of buying one.)

Sorry for the wall of text.
Hope this helps you~!
Henna Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 06:52 AM   #4
Aruden
S.T.A.R.S. Alpha Team

No clue about the book but one suggestion I have is to shift your goals. Since you can't really control how your body will change when working out and eating right it can be very tough to stay motivated when you don't see the results where you want them. What I would suggest is for a while at least set your goals on just doing what you need to. Pick a reward, something non junk food, and then make the goal something like if I eat well for a week or workout 3 times this week then I will get myself that reward. Keep it up until the acts of eating right and working out are second nature. If you do that then the physical goals will happen.

Cosplay List
Chris Redfield - S.T.A.R.S. Outifit 100%
Bolin - Avatar: Legend of Korra 0%
Maes Hughes - Military Uniform 0%
Next Con
Anime USA 2013
Aruden is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 08:25 AM   #5
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

It has a whole bunch of good reviews on Amazon. What's the exchange to American dollars? like $10? I'd think it's not much to spend on a book, whether you read it or not. It's not going to break the bank, so why not add a couple other fun reads to your shopping cart, get free shipping, and see for yourself if you like it?

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Emmejo

That's a pretty popular book (at least here in the US), but I haven't read it. I do believe it focuses on a vegan diet, which may or may not work well for you. If veganism is drastically different from your normal diet, do some research on how to do it healthily. Have you checked to see if your local library has a copy, or if they can interlibrary-loan a copy from another library? That would be the simplest way to check it out and decide if it is worth your money.
Emmejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 11:54 PM   #7
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Proceed with caution. I've heard this book has a LOT of food shaming and weird views on fasting and modern medicine. Haven't read it, but what I've heard makes me not want to give the authors a dime of my money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aruden View Post
No clue about the book but one suggestion I have is to shift your goals. Since you can't really control how your body will change when working out and eating right it can be very tough to stay motivated when you don't see the results where you want them. What I would suggest is for a while at least set your goals on just doing what you need to. Pick a reward, something non junk food, and then make the goal something like if I eat well for a week or workout 3 times this week then I will get myself that reward. Keep it up until the acts of eating right and working out are second nature. If you do that then the physical goals will happen.
Thisthisthis. See, this is why I much prefer performance goals over aesthetic goals, and, hey, if getting up and working out is hard for you than a goal of "I will go to the gym and do x for y length of time z times this week" is a great performance goal. Once you hit your stride then you can get more specific: like running faster or lifting more, etc.

For motivation, honestly, if you don't love what you do, no amount of tough love will make you want to do it. You HAVE to find something you enjoy! I was an olympic level couch potato until I discovered dance, and believe me when I say I had a LOT of "tough love" from highschool gym teachers (some of it was just tough with no love though....)

If you really think the tough love approach will work, maybe try a personal trainer and make it clear what your goals and that you want to be pushed. It can be expensive, but making an appointment is motivation to at least show up (most gyms charge a cancellation fee if you don;t cancel a certain number of hours in advance) and a good trainer will be able to talk you through working hard while making sure you stay safe.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote