Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #1
Emi Hana
Kimono - Kimono - Kimono

Shakes, Milk, Budget, and Advice?

Alright, I kind of have a question and would like some advice. My Zumba teacher drove me home from Zumba Class yesterday, and we somehow managed to get talking about protein bars and shakes. While I personally love the taste of Atkins' protein bars, she got talking about some shakes that you blend.

Basically, it's flavored powder that you add milk to, and then blend. I then asked her about what type of milk I should use, because the powder activates with milk. She told me to use almond milk because 2% will cause you to bloat.

Problem is mostly budget. I'd eat more of the Atkins' protein bars, but Wal-Mart sells 4 to a package for about $8.00 - so very rarely can my budget allow that type of spending. Also, I don't like the taste of Almond Milk, but at the same time, I don't want to carry on my day with a bloated stomach / gut and then be forced to take Gas-X at night.

Any good ideas on a compromise - either protein bar brand that's cheaper or something like 1% or Skim Milk? I don't mind protein bars or shakes, but budget issue are a big concern for me.

Unread 11-09-2016, 04:31 AM   #2
DanArt

Almond milk is not real milk. Your body ( or in this case your gym pal ) is responding to it differently. Bloat-ness from milk usually depends on your body type as Cows milk is not fully digestible. Goats milk is another road. Again I do not know what you really need from the milk as most milk in general is fat.

I would use Greek yogurt in place of milk. It has no taste at all because it is yogurt without the added stuff. However I could be wrong as milk is basically fat and calcium.

However in terms of proteins nuts can be a source of protein but your body will respond to it differently.

Anything that is flavored powdered should consider the contents first. I was using this thing that is a combination of herbs. Smells like fish-food but tastes like sugar? Has wheat grass and all kinds of stuff inside.

Everybody has there own body-type ( race-type ) and responds differently to various substances.
DanArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2016, 07:42 PM   #3
Mangochutney
probably a frackpants

There's nothing to activate in the powder, it's just a normal protein shake. I have a big container I use for when I'm too rushed in the morning to cook. It's not magic or complicated.

Some people bloat when they drink milk, because they're mildly or severely lactose intolerant. Some people don't. Your Zumba person is probably lactose intolerant. Do you have any trouble after drinking milk? If not, you can use milk without worrying. Any kind of milk--skim, 2%, whole, goat, whatever. Go nuts.

If milk is a problem for you, you can use plain water. The result is a little thin-tasting, though. Soy milk or some other nut milk would work too, if you like the taste better--those are water mixed with tiny tiny particles of the nut in question anyway.

Costco and Walmart both sell Pure Protein bars in bulk, which are the cheapest option I've found that's mostly actual protein and not just a granola bar in disguise.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Your Mother [Debbie Does Dallas XXIII] (8%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 11-10-2016 at 07:49 PM.
Mangochutney is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-15-2016, 04:09 PM   #4
Sokar

Supplements like powders are good as just that, supplements. Don't worry about making it a daily thing but more of a convenience factor. I tell my clients to eat and eat right. If they want to do a protein powder great, but not necessary. But the days your running late its good. I mix mine with water due to being lactose intolerant. The trick is using very cold water and crushed ice. For me anyways.
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 06:47 PM   #5
Frack1337

I find the protein bars are of a lower quality and are generally less nutrional than the powder. I used to use bars for on the go, but powder has become the staple. If you buy it in bulk its probably cheaper than anything else. However, you need a lot of money to buy bulk. However, that being said try to get pure whey protein, avoid anything extra because it is a gimik. BCAAs, sometimes creatine, and Casein are added and are not necessary for you, and for some people cause problems (lower dopamine, serotonin).
Frack1337 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2016, 06:48 PM   #6
Frack1337

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar View Post
Supplements like powders are good as just that, supplements. Don't worry about making it a daily thing but more of a convenience factor. I tell my clients to eat and eat right. If they want to do a protein powder great, but not necessary. But the days your running late its good. I mix mine with water due to being lactose intolerant. The trick is using very cold water and crushed ice. For me anyways.
I would disagree with this if you're on a diet trying to meet macros. I am Ketoing, and I need powder to meet those goals. Supplementation fits only if one is going to the gym and gneerally eating their 2500+ calories a day, which I find a rare.
Frack1337 is offline   Reply With Quote