Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-31-2014, 09:40 AM   #1
korchan
korchan

Anyone can help me on how to lose arms weight for females?

Hello everyone. I'm new here, and was wonder if anyone can help me or give me tips on how to lose weight on the arms and belly? I'm females by the way, and was wondering on how to lose the arms fat? and it's would be also nice if anyone can give me tips on how to lose weight and the proper diet and food to eat as well, just not seafood since I'm allergic to seafood. :v

Last edited by korchan : 10-31-2014 at 09:42 AM. Reason: just need to add something
korchan is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-31-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
lemuries

Short version: diet & exercise.
-------------------------------
Long version:

What worked for me is:
1. Focus on & change my diet
2. Add cardiovascular exercise to my life three days a week
3. Add Muscle building (aka weight lifting) exercise to my life three other days a week
4. Increase how much water I drink a day.

I agree with people who say that you cannot lose weight only in certain places; you have to lose it overall and it will eventually shrink from the places you want it to go away.

To do #1 (diet), I looked online to find out what my daily caloric requirement was, based on my BMR (basal metabolic rate) number for my particular body. It's only an estimate, but it gave me a foundation on which to start. I then figured out how many calories to eat a day by taking that number and subtracting 500 from it.

The kinds of calories I eat mattered too. I focus on protein first, then I add non-starchy vegetables and some fruits and a small amount of nuts. I try to make 40% of my diet protein, 40% carbohydrates, and 20% healthy fats. As an example, I eat soy (I'm allergic to milk) protein shakes, lean meats, salad with limited dressing, steamed vegetables, some almonds or olive oil or coconut oil, and bananas, apples, and berries. Sugar & junk food make me overeat and crave foods that interfere with my weight loss, so I avoid them. As a result, some healthy foods started tasting better. Sometimes I fall off the wagon (holidays, parties) and I have to struggle to get free of the sugar addiction again. Don't beat yourself up if you are in that, but don't give yourself a pass to cheat... it leads to failing.

To help me make sure I was getting the right ratio of protein/carbohydrates/fats, I use a FREE app (available on the computer, my phone, and my ipad) called MyFitnessPal. You can set it to whatever the numbers you decide on, and then when you enter what you eat, it keeps track of how many calories you have eaten and how many left to reach your daily goal, and also what percentage are protein, carbohydrates, and fats. It's been a major source of success for me.

You will not lose weight long-term if you eat too FEW calories. There's a small window between too few and too many calories, and you have to stay there if you want to continually lose fat. As you lose weight, your caloric needs will go down. As you exercise more, your caloric needs will go up. Don't panic when the weight doesn't come off; just start figuring out if you are too eating too much or too little.

-----------------------------

I started on #2 by getting a baseline of 10 minutes of fast walking done. The goal is to be going so fast that you are not killing yourself, but you are unable to spare the breath to have a conversation with someone. I got a heart rate monitor from Polar that made it really easy to figure out how hard to push myself, because they calculate formulas (65-80% of max HR, for instance) that are the most efficient ways to exercise to get in shape. I started with 10 minutes, like I said, but built up the strength to go longer and longer. I started out using sugar workout drinks to get me through it, but I didn't want to waste the calories there, so I switched to artificial sweetener drinks but they mess with my balance so now I just put electrolytes in water with a bit of citrus taste to make it palatable.

It IS possible for your body to become so used to a cardio workout that it ceases to be a challenge any more. At that point, you will stop losing weight. At that point, you need to work harder (do it longer, switch exercises, add weights).

-----------------------------

I was very blessed to get support from my mom, who helped me pay for a personal trainer to help me learn #3, muscle building. I thankfully have access to a full gym of machines to help me build muscle, which burns calories more than fat does. Don't worry about bulking out, you have to really go crazy hard to become muscle-bound. The trick, they say, to becoming lean instead of bulky is to do more reps at a lower weight.

There are a lot of differing opinions on what the best way to build muscle is, and I'd rather not butt heads on the subject. I will say that by devoting about 90 minutes a day 3 times a week to muscles, you can work different muscles on different days (example: arms + chest on day 1, back + abs on day 2, front + back legs on day 3) and give the muscles time to heal between workouts. If you hit the same muscles over and over again, you get fatigue, not muscle.

-------------------------

How much water (not soda, not juice, not tea, not coffee) you drink will depend on you. I live in the humid South, and on cardio days, I tend to drink a gallon (16 cups) of water easily. On weight days, it's more like 12-14 cups. It IS possible to drink too much, but you can listen to your body to help you figure out how much it needs. It's gross, but pay attention to the color of your urine; if it's a beautiful golden color, you need more water but if it's clear, you should cut back.

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Anyway, that's my advice in a quick summary. Take some time to see yourself as reaching your ideal body shape and really understand that it is possible if you want it bad enough and keep making the right choices and devoting your time and energy into making that future come true. Expect to stumble, but make yourself get back up and get back on the right track. It is a long road, and if you rush it, you'll stumble and it'll take longer. Just decide that you want to be fit and beautiful and strong more than you want any of those things you do instead (for me it's junk food and too much time on the computer that makes me out of shape).

Hope this helps.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
korchan
korchan

Thanks, it's help alot, but does drinking energy drink really necessary or needed? I'm not allowance to drink any energy drink due to my surgery and so as peanut or any nut. :v.
korchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2014, 08:55 AM   #4
lemuries

I just want to make sure we understand each other. I do not drink what I call energy drinks: Monster, or Red Bull, or "living essentials 5 hour energy drink" or other caffeinated sugar bombs. I don't actually injest caffeine voluntarily.

What I drank before was like Powerade or Gatorade - a liquid that contained a sweetener and electrolytes. Eventually I found powdered electrolytes http://www.emergenc.com/products#spe...las.electromix and skipped the sweetener all together.

People say that we lose chemicals as we sweat during exercise. I found that if I drank straight water, I would become unbearably exhausted after about 30 minutes (the same time they say that the body takes to suck all the sugar out of your blood and switches to breaking down fat for energy). By drinking water with electrolytes in it, I was able to keep exercising for more than 30 minutes without that crushing fatigue.

If you can do exercise with just water, you are luckier than I. You could talk to your doctor about electrolytes and whether they are safe for you or good for you, and how you might include them in your day, if they are. But that's optional. I can exercise without them, but it is not as efficient and it's more of a struggle for me. But that doesn't mean it's true for you!
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-04-2014, 10:17 AM   #5
mathilda

weight lifting could help with your arms, but I don't know if it really what you want since the muscles will of course gain muscle mass and so your arms don't necessarily have to look "thinner" (but more defined) afterwards.
For the tummy...i sadly have a similiar problem...my legs are kind of thin, but my stomach. "ORZ
probably a specific training of back and stomach muscles would help.
i hate gyms though and find group sports easier, since they motivate me to not quit on bad days. perhaps joining a sports team (rowing, Martial arts, soccer...) would be your taste.

for reducing weight:
don't overdo it and try to lose too much in too less time.
Some people eat after the rule "only eat when you feel hungry and only small meals", which is a good thing if you know your body. I'm the type who doesn't feel hungry, when I'm working and then after 8 hours I'm so starved out I eat more than I need, so I try remember myself to eat around all 4 hours a bit, even if I'm not hungry.
eating soups help with it a lot, since i don't have to stop working and it is easily prepared.

try to quit eating sweets, and sugery drinks (this means also coffee with sugar), try to cut back rice, potatoes, cereal products and eat more vegetables and fruits . Cook fresh instead of using instant stuff. When you're eating milk products, count it as a full meal (a good meal though).
Soy products can be cool, but a lot of people are allergic to then, the same with nuts. try it out. Same as with milk products, they're good for you, but they contain fat.
If you have a favorite vegetable, find a lot of ways to make them tasty and eat them to reward you.
my favorite vegetable is tomatoes, so I love to make me tomato salad , when I did something good.

don't be too strict, the trick is to change your eating habits, not to lose weight, then eat the same as before and get back to your old weight.
rules that are too strict don't last for long.
Unread 11-16-2014, 07:02 PM   #6
PanS
Photographer Thingy

A little bit late here, the area where your fat tends to deposit is purely genetic! There's no way to completely spot reduce fat in any location, but there are ways to help.

Extended light aerobic activity is one of the best ways to lose fat. Get your heart rate going and try to elevate your heart rate a little more than a light walk so you breath a bit more but can still talk and hold conversation. Many people tend to think that if you run as hard and as fast as you can then you'll see quicker results, this is partly true but, if you can't talk, you're using up the wrong source of energy! Finish with that high intensity work out to elevate your post exercise metabolism. : )

As @mathilda mentioned above, doing some light lifting would help build more muscle to help your arms feel and look less flabby as causes you to burn extra calories.

Sports and energy drinks have lots of sugars and calories in them. You should avoid them unless you're going on a 2 hour + aerobic activity. Water is your best friend. Or electrolyte drinks without added sugars.

Any diet can be built around your allergies. The most important thing isn't the amount of carbs you avoid, but the total amount of calories you eat a day. Stay portioned and determined and you'll see results.

Hope I wasn't too late. ~
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5
PanS is offline   Reply With Quote