Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 07-21-2014, 02:14 AM   #1
Punk_PastryChef

Worried I'm to "pudgy" to cosplay.

Hey everyone,
So just to introduce myself, I'm Kat and I'm 22 and I am about to go to my first Otakon.
My husband and I decided to just go simple and silly, He is going to paint himself to look like Snorlax and I am thinking of going as Misty.
The only problem is Misty's outfit usually includes a belly-bearing top, which I am nervous about.
I am 5'6 and somewhere between 130-136lbs, measurements are somewhere around 36", 26", 38" which sounds nice, but the problem is I carry a lot of my weight in the lower tummy/thigh area so if I'm not wearing a "control top" or something to suck it in I get a muffin top. I'm worried that I'm not toned or fit enough to pull it off.

I'm just worried that I'm going to look ridiculous and look like a joke if I try to wear her outfit and people will just make fun of me.

Any suggestions/helpful tips?

Last edited by Punk_PastryChef : 07-21-2014 at 02:27 AM.
Punk_PastryChef is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-21-2014, 03:39 AM   #2
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

You could skip the cropped top and just do a yellow shirt instead, or maybe a pair of shorts that are high-waisted. Muffin top occurs when your shorts are too small for you, and especially if said shorts are hip-hugging shorts.

Here's a plus-sized Misty I found on Google:

Just Google "misty cosplay" and you'll find cosplayers of all sizes in her costume.

I said this to my best friend, who has some extra belly fat:

The only fit you need to worry about is the fit of YOUR costume on YOUR body. Cosplay is for anyone of any size, and anyone who comes up to you just to insult the way you look is a terrible person that is worth ignoring. Don't wear something that's too small for you, and you should be fine.

Planned Cosplays:
2014: NEW→Zhurong (Dynasty Warriors 8) REPEAT→Sailor S. Fighter, Kasumi (maybe)
2015: Cosplay hiatus? (not yet decided)

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2014, 11:16 AM   #3
Floating World

Personally, I do not think you sound too chubby at all, from the stats you cited. Of course, I do not necessarily believe in the concept of "too chubby" for cosplay but if you feel uncomfortable that is something to consider. You should choose a character that will make you feel good and allow you to have fun, not worry about your tummy. I really doubt people will make fun of you but if you're worrying about that the whole time, you probably won't enjoy the experience.
"... Living only for the moment, turning our full attention to the pleasures of the moon, the snow, the cherry blossoms and the maple leaves; singing songs, drinking wine, diverting ourselves in just floating, floating; ... refusing to be disheartened, like a gourd floating along with the river current: this is what we call the floating world..." Asai Ryoi, c. 1661
Floating World is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 07:56 PM   #4
belligerent
Viking Metal

I doubt people will make fun of you. If people make fun of you or talk shit, they're assholes, and you shouldn't care what assholes think. If you'd be more comfortable wearing it by altering the costume so it covers your stomach, then do that. If you would have more fun cosplaying it as-is, then do that and tell any haters that surface to fuck off.

As an aside, you are in a healthy weight range for your height. If you carry fat a specific place, that's just how it is. Nobody has a "perfect" body. Even models get photoshopped within an inch of their lives now, so don't let whatever perceived flaws you have bother you.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 03:38 PM   #5
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

i would kill for ur measurements omg. 5'6? a 26 waist? oh my god. not fair. im 5'2 and ive got like a 34 waist and weigh the same as u. im cosplaying misty this otakon and honestly im as scared as u. but ur gonna do so much better i mean uve got a killer body i bet. im just pale and flabby haha ull be fine. just think about it this way: theres so many cosplayers that will be doing much worse than u and be even more revealing than u. its not a healthy mindset but it works?
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:55 PM   #6
belligerent
Viking Metal

Quote:
just think about it this way: theres so many cosplayers that will be doing much worse than u
This is a pretty fucked up way of thinking about it but whatever lets you sleep at night, I guess.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 06:46 PM   #7
ShiroiOji

My opinion? If people think you are too big to cosplay a character, then they can fuck the fuck off. You are you, and you are beautiful, and damn anyone who cannot see that. But hey, that's just me.
ShiroiOji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM   #8
Bovice

Quote:
You are you, and you are beautiful,
I've never agreed with this sentiment. While it means well, it implies that you need to be beautiful to be valued, which simply isn't true.

That said, beauty isn't tied down with weight though, but yea, just saying, not everyone is beautiful; but at the same time, they're not any less valuable than anyone else.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 11:52 PM   #9
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'm Kat. I'm two months shy of 22, and I'm going to Otakon as well haha (coincidentally also in a Pokemon cosplay). Basically I agree with what everyone else has said. Nothing to add here other than if you think you're chubby, high waisted shorts totally look bangin. I wear mine all the time. If you really want to do the costume 100% accurate, I wouldn't sweat it. I doubt you'll look silly or be ridiculed.

So this is what I feel like should be said. You really need to not care about what other people think if you want to be comfortable in shorts and a crop top, which is understandably hard to do. If you don't want to edit the costume, you might want to think about other characters you'd like to cosplay that cover up more so that you feel comfortable. Your comfort is more important than cosplaying a specific character. If you don't feel comfortable in your skin and in your clothes, you will not have as much fun.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 12:19 AM   #10
Ratchetjak

You really have to feel comfrtable in your skin when it comes to cosplay. I admit, I was taken back by when I first saw more larger cosplayers years ago but honestly, anyone should be able to dress as their favorite character. As far as Misty goes, if you aren't comfortable showing your stomach, then yeah, go for a normal yellow tank top instead of a cropped one. And for the shorts, just wear some leggings underneath if you don't feel comfortable showing off your legs. There are great alterantives one can do to make the cosplay work in their favor.

For example. I'm black and let's say I wanted to cosplay Final Fantasy's Cloud someday. Instead of having blonde hair, I'd opt for black hair styled in the same way.

Hope this helps!
Ratchetjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 11:45 AM   #11
ShiroiOji

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bovice View Post
I've never agreed with this sentiment. While it means well, it implies that you need to be beautiful to be valued, which simply isn't true.

That said, beauty isn't tied down with weight though, but yea, just saying, not everyone is beautiful; but at the same time, they're not any less valuable than anyone else.
If you're looking at beauty as being solely external, than what you're saying is true. However, I didn't say that at all.
ShiroiOji is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #12
Bovice

Well we're obviously talking about external here, since Op is referring to being worried about how she looks in cosplay. If we were talking about inner beauty, then it wouldn't even be a thread.

But that's kinda getting off subject.

Anyways to OP, cosplay the way YOU want to. Fk anyone else.
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 02:56 PM   #13
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Ultimately, it boils down to a handful of choices:

1) Cosplay whoever you want to cosplay, regardless of your body type. The vast majority will be supportive, but a handful of people will be judgmental jerks; you'll need to make sure to build up your mental and emotional stamina & confidence, so that the latter don't bother you. If necessary, adapt the costume as mentioned by sooyong in her post above.

2) Put forth the effort to change your body, through hard work and proper nutrition. Then cosplay as whoever you want to cosplay. Note, the percentage of judgmental jerks will be significantly diminished, but they'll still exist even if you're "perfect."

3) Choose cosplays that suit your look and body type, even if they're not your favorite characters.

I personally go with #3. I'd love to cosplay Batman, or Pygar to complement my wife's Barbarella. But I'm scrawny and pale, and would look very silly as either one. But I can pull off a pretty darn good tenth Doctor Who, as I've got the right hair and face shape.

My wife went with #2. We switched to a modified Paleo diet, and since January she's lost a little over 50 lbs - and the pudge on her tummy was (surprisingly) the first to go. Didn't do it specifically for cosplay purposes, but now she's much more confident and comfortable in revealing or skin-tight cosplay outfits. It hasn't been easy, and it has been a heck of a lifestyle change, but the results are very significant.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-31-2014, 08:30 AM   #14
dizzymonochrome
Sarah Charade

Do whatever floats your boat. If people are mean or judgmental, it says more about them than it does about you, and you shouldn't let it get to you or stop you from doing something you want to do.

I'm 5'3, and I weigh more than you. My friend is even shorter than me, visibly heavier than me, and wears way more crop tops and miniskirts than me. It's all about what YOU are comfortable with on YOUR body. Who cares what other people think?

Costume design and fabrication
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/sector6labs

Tumblr: http://sector6labs.tumblr.com

Twitter: @sector6labs http://www.twitter.com/sector6labs
dizzymonochrome is online now   Reply With Quote