Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 06-16-2014, 09:47 PM   #1
ChrisNeptune
Earthbender

Should I use pills to help slim down?

Ive been working out for a few months now with friends. Ive always been a naturally big guy, wide shoulders, thick arms ectc. But I wanna slim down and lose the belly and the extra arm/leg fat so I look ripped up.

Right now I go out jogging early in the morning and then after work I do weight training. But I want to lose that belly fat fast. There are these pills ive heard about called hydroycut that supposedly help people burn fat even without exercise. Should I give in to the hype or keep up what im doing now and hope for the best?

Depending on how my body has taken shape by december I'll decide which cosplay to do for next year's con.
ChrisNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2014, 10:47 PM   #2
countofzar

This is my own opinion for losing belly fat and what has worked for me.

The best way to lose weight is by exercise and a specific diet.

Drink a minimum of 2 litters of water a day.
Eat organic and whole fruit and vegetables. Juicing is a great option. Fruits and vegetables contain all of the necessary nutrients, minerals, protein that your body needs in other to function properly.
Avoid salt, sugar, dairy, meat and bread. In short, these products make you fat.

I don't suggest any pills nor supplements for losing weight when eating healthy is a better option.

Last edited by countofzar : 06-16-2014 at 10:48 PM. Reason: grammar error
countofzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #3
Bovice

No matter what method you use, you're going to have to stick with it. That said, do you want to be on weight loss pills your entire life? They're not magic. As much as some of them actually do work, they only work while you take them. As soon as you stop, you gain the weight back.

Same w/ the above poster's methods.

You cant just do something to lose weight and then stop doing it once you've lost the weight. If you want to keep it off, you'll have to pick something that you'll be able to maintain (which is why people call it a lifestyle change, as it's not a temporary thing).

So pick something you'll be able to do on the long term (which my recommendation is exercise and eating clean; though I wouldn't go as far as to burn a whole in my pocket for organic food)
Bovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 05:28 AM   #4
ChrisNeptune
Earthbender

I see. Ive never been someone to remember to take pills often, not even medicine or vitamins. I do like exercise and its something I would easily do for the rest of my life. I like the juiced fruit and veggie idea, ive tried them before and loved the taste. Thanks a lot guys!
ChrisNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 09:52 PM   #5
cawlin

Just to give more accurate info on this topic:

Supplements that are used for cutting (hydroxycut is one, but not a great choice) are only really useful if you're either already at low body fat or low weight; basically, you have to already be in shape. You also need to be careful with exerting yourself and watch your heart rate while you're taking them.

Fat mobilizers are really good for losing fat from stubborn areas once you're at low body fat, but not very helpful at higher levels of body fat. Stimulants help with appetite suppression and giving you a bit of energy to compensate for the low calories.

If you have any stress, anxiety, or mental health problems, you should completely avoid these types of supplements, as they really exasperate the conditions. If you're overweight or suffer from hypertension, the same thing goes, because they increase both your heart rate and blood pressure.

Last edited by cawlin : 06-17-2014 at 09:56 PM.
cawlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2014, 10:21 PM   #6
lespapillons

A lot of weight loss pills have no-so-great ingredients in them, and lots of caffeine. I would do plenty of research before taking the plunge, you don't want to sacrifice your health to lose weight.
lespapillons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #7
ChrisNeptune
Earthbender

Yeah, thats all true. So far exercise has been great for me so I guess in the end im better off just sticking to it and watching the calorie intake. To be honest now that I look at this better, and at all the comments, I really dont know what I was thinking, lol
Unread 06-26-2014, 10:21 AM   #8
oni-buu
Back-Alley Seamstress

Quote:
Originally Posted by countofzar View Post
Fruits and vegetables contain all of the necessary nutrients, minerals, protein that your body needs in other to function properly.
Avoid salt, sugar, dairy, meat and bread. In short, these products make you fat.
This is false information. These things do not make you fat. Eating too many calories and not burning them off, allowing these excess calories to be stored makes you fat.

And very few fruits and vegetables contain all the required amino acids for protein consumption. One would need to eat, for example, rice and beans to get them all and rice is a grain. Unless OP is taking protein supplements (which isn't necessarily the greatest), he would still need to eat high amounts of protein to maintain muscle mass and focus on fat loss.

You also need salt and fat. Fat contributes to healthy hormone production and salt that has been treated with iodine, in small amounts, helps with iodine deficiencies and balancing electrolytes in the body.
Otakon
???
Anime USA
???

oni-buu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2014, 01:20 PM   #9
Devonry
Kick Ass. Drink Tea.

Weight loss pills don't work, honestly. Dr. Oz is actually in huge trouble with the FDA for suggesting they do, because endorsing them is blatant fraud.

If you have trouble figuring out how to eat well, look up nutritionists in your area. They can help you figure out what you need to eat more of, what you need to eat less of, and how to adjust your diet to make sure you are healthy and getting the nutrition you need. Exercising on top of a healthy diet is what promotes weight loss, so incorporating both strength training and cardio to build muscle and improve your cardiovascular health/burn fat.
Devonry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2014, 01:52 AM   #10
Jaganashi

I've lost weight with the pills, but when I look back, I could have done it without them. They essentially acted as caffeine, plus a lot of stuff my body didn't need. They gave me energy to be more active, but I happened to be in a job where I had the flexibility to move more. They also acted as an appetite suppressant, but I ended up getting a little malnourished. Now when I need to drop a little weight, I drink coffee if I need the boost. Or one of those softer energy drinks (like the refreshers that Starbucks puts out with green coffee bean extract.) I count it as my dessert/treat for the day because of the sugar, and it does pretty much what those pills did.
Jaganashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2014, 09:43 AM   #11
Sorakalaka

Hi Chris! Well, if you are already sticking to a nice exercise program, i wouldn't recommend taking any pills. You got over the hard part! Patience and a change of diet will do the trick. I am working out last 1,5 month, i started to see results at 1month. I have a belly too and wanted to get rid of it as fast as i can. Once i told myself "you're gonna see results in 6 months, be patient", that did the trick.
The workout videos im using say "the best workout to burn calories is the one you stick to". Same thing applies for the diet. look around, see what you might be able to do and try it, if it doesn't work, try another, in the meantime, you will be losing weight and building muscle before you know it!
I cut off processed foods. Check out the paleo diet maybe.
And i have to say this again, you have to combine a good diet with the workouts!

Be patient! You are on the right track, no pills needed!! Rock on!!
Sorakalaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2014, 01:24 PM   #12
CosPoe
Yup, still broke.

The thing about losing weight is anything that's easily lost is easily gained. You really do not want quick results.

If you need some push in your workouts, preworkouts work wonders. Or just drinking caffeine ( moderately, of course ) You're already working out twice a day, which is crazy. You really don't need to push your body any further.

Most of your weight loss will come from dieting. For a grown man ( i'm assuming ) who works out as much as you do, you need at LEAST 100g of protein a day to repair your muscles. Calculate how many calories you need to lose weight and count them religiously. Drink tons of water, etc etc. If you want a kickstart, check out keto or paleo diets. Both of those are very healthy and I can confirm, do work.

Follow me on Facebook!!

www.facebook.com/CosPoe

Next Cons:
San Japan - San Antonio, TX
Dragon*Con - Atlanta, GA
CosPoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 03:20 AM   #13
charlespe

You are talking about pills similar to Animal cuts. Yes they do work but never take them unless you are doing a heavy workout routine almost everyday
charlespe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2014, 10:49 PM   #14
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosPoe View Post
Or just drinking caffeine ( moderately, of course )
eeeee....I really, really dislike the idea of ingesting any stimulants, even in moderation, pre-workout. Even in moderation, caffeine dehydrates you like woah and raises your heart rate waaaay up. Also, if you don't have the energy to get up and workout, that's your body telling you that you need rest more than activity. If you're just a bit sluggish, well, you'll feel better and more energized once your heart rate gets up. It's a mental thing.

For the record. I am certainly not meaning to demonize caffeine--I can't function before 9am without it! Just before working out though, not such a good idea!
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
cawlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha_helix View Post
eeeee....I really, really dislike the idea of ingesting any stimulants, even in moderation, pre-workout. Even in moderation, caffeine dehydrates you like woah and raises your heart rate waaaay up. Also, if you don't have the energy to get up and workout, that's your body telling you that you need rest more than activity. If you're just a bit sluggish, well, you'll feel better and more energized once your heart rate gets up. It's a mental thing.

For the record. I am certainly not meaning to demonize caffeine--I can't function before 9am without it! Just before working out though, not such a good idea!
I think the term 'workout' is too broad.

Stimulants are extremely beneficial for strength training, because it tends to be low intensity (leg day being the big exception), and you generally want your heart rate to be a bit high.

It's obviously not a good idea to take them before high intensity cardio, though. Unless you enjoy going into cardiac arrest.
cawlin is offline   Reply With Quote