Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 11-23-2014, 11:41 PM   #1
deaneggsandsam

Healthy Recipes?

Soo..on top of sucking at workouts..I also don't really like healthy food mostly cause it tastes really bad to me..is there any reciepes for meals that are healthy but taste really good?
deaneggsandsam is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2014, 12:35 AM   #2
TeaForThought
Fragile: Handle with Care

Taste is relative to the individual....so what may be good to me may be awful to you. It's going to be tricky to suggest anything for you since we don't know you well.

If there's certain foods you like or really dislike or even any food allergies you may have, that would be something to know before anyone can suggest specific recipes for you
Thou canst not then be false to any man.”

~Tea is wisdom, just add water~
TeaForThought is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #3
TeddyAllen

Well, I don't think healthy foods are tasteless at all.
But first, may I ask what is your favorite food so I can give a more suitable recipe for you?
TeddyAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2014, 12:06 AM   #4
kittyxing

One of my favourite go to healthy recipes is Quiche except not made in the traditional sense.

I usually make it crustless.

Two whole eggs
Three egg whites
1/2 cup greek yoghurt
1/2 cup skim milk
1/4 cup low fat cheese
Spinach
Tomato
Three links turkey sausage cut up

Whisk the eggs, egg whites, yoghurt and milk together. Cook the spinach, tomato and turkey sausage in a pan with no oil. Just enough to make the spinach soft. You can cook it with some garlic if you want. Add the spinach mixture to the liquid mixure. Pour quiche mix into pie pan. Sprinkle cheese at top. Bake at 350 for 30 - 40 minutes or so.

A couple slices is a great healthy breakfest and you can sub the vegetables and sausage for whatever you prefer.
kittyxing is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-25-2014, 03:44 AM   #5
brainy-specs

If you're used to an unhealthy diet, lightly spiced meals and vegetables may taste awkward to you. You're body gets used to the fats and salts and flavour enhancers in fast food for example. And the excessive amounts of those affect your sense of taste greatly. Tastebuds receed and you will need more salt before you think something is salty than another individual.

That's pretty much why a diet change can be so hard.
For new foods it may take several tastings before you're really able to decide if you like it or not. And taste buds need around 10-14 days to regrow. So to get off a carving of salt or sugar you've harboured over a long time, you need to reduce it for a while until you are able to sense how sweet/salty it truly has been.
Taste can change, but it's like a nasty habit, it takes a while and it isn't easy to go through with it.

Give that "weird" healthy food a chance and try getting used to it before you give up on it!

Work in Progress:
Inu Yasha (almost done, wig needs to be finished, overcoat not really done yet)

Future Cosplays:
Ranma Saotome (female)
Kaitou KID
Vash 'Switzerland' Zwingli
brainy-specs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2014, 02:05 PM   #6
LadyDoom

I'm posting only from personal expierence. I have lost 70 lbs over the course of 3 years. Some things have worked, some things didn't. One of the things that works for me is juice fasting. It may not be an option for you if you don't have a juicer, or the money to invest in a juicer, the one's that are worth purchasing are around $150. I'm mentioning this because I had the same problem as you! I HATED veggies, I would never eat fruits. I loved terrible food, and it's addictive! Once you start eating that crap, your body doesn't want healthy food anymore. It's terrible.
You can do a juice fast for 3 days, all you drink is juice, water, and herbal tea with no sugar. No coffee, no food, no booze. It totally resets your taste buds. If you continue juice fasting, after the third day, you loose about a pound of fat per day. The first three days are just cleaning out your gut and loosing water weight. Be warned, you WILL gain back some of the weight once you start eating regular food again. You can expect to loose an average of 5 pounds if you juice for about a week.
The maximum amount of time that I personally have juice fasted was for 2 weeks. That was at the very beginning of my weight loss journey. I would not recommend juicing if you are working out. When you juice, you need to rest and let your body do the work. If you start doing cardio or weight lifting, you can seriously hurt yourself. So what I'm recommending is for you to try juicing for 2-3 days, and see if it helps your taste buds. I bet you will not like it at first, I didn't either. But it has completely revamped my taste for healthy foods, and I don't even want fast food anymore.
Try a mild juice at first to see if you like it.
One of my favorites is:
1 large bag of spinach
3-4 green apples
8-9 carrots
1-2 cucumbers
1 bunch of parsley
1 lemon
You can also add a thumb sized ginger root if you like it a little spicy

This is a very mild, non offensive juice. Most people I make this for really enjoy it.
Either way, I hope you find something that works for you!! Good luck!
LadyDoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
ClearxAoba

I'd like to know as well
ClearxAoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2014, 08:13 PM   #8
Nintai

I do this for breakfast. It's super yummy, healthy, even easy to prepare!

(Mix in a bowl, put in the fridge, and let sit overnight for the oats to soak everything up.)
1 packet Quaker Instant Oatmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 scoop chocolate whey protein
1 tbsp chocolate syrup

Comes out to around:
273 calories
31g carbs
30g protein
5g fat
Nintai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2014, 09:38 AM   #9
diva19

I don't really think about the taste.. my mother just give me a lot of vegetables everyday.. and I think i love them all
diva19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2014, 12:29 AM   #10
rmilford31
Tinnitus Kit

Healthy foods

I not only like healthy foods, but also like non healthy foods!

If I play football and cricket then I have nothing to worry about my fitness.

Last edited by rmilford31 : 12-28-2014 at 12:33 AM. Reason: forget to add info
rmilford31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-14-2015, 05:24 PM   #11
Captain Kaiba
What's up, Proto-butt?

How do you feel about beans, OP? I know a nice recipe for a vegetarian "meat"loaf that's made with mashed lentils, tomato sauce, and spices. Cheese is optional for it.
Captain Kaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2015, 09:55 PM   #12
Mistearea
Newbie Cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nintai View Post
I do this for breakfast. It's super yummy, healthy, even easy to prepare!

(Mix in a bowl, put in the fridge, and let sit overnight for the oats to soak everything up.)
1 packet Quaker Instant Oatmeal
1/4 cup milk
1 scoop chocolate whey protein
1 tbsp chocolate syrup

Comes out to around:
273 calories
31g carbs
30g protein
5g fat
First off, I kinda want to try this one out, but I'd need to know if you can replace the milk with soy milk, or something like it, since I'm allergic to milk.

Secondly, I've found that how you prepare foods can make a really big difference. My family used to fry most of our food, but a few years ago we started baking instead of frying where we could. Since then my weight has stayed at around the same without changing my exercise routine.

Convention Plan(s)
MTAC(Middle Tennessee Anime Convention) 2015
Mistearea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2015, 01:25 PM   #13
pockyjin

Quote:
First off, I kinda want to try this one out, but I'd need to know if you can replace the milk with soy milk, or something like it, since I'm allergic to milk.
Mistearea, i've made this substitution alot with many of my foods and it hasn't been a problem. For oatmeal it should be okay with this substitution. I usually cook my oatmeal with almond milk which is a little bit runnier than soymilk so you should be good. I think the only time you can't really make this substitution is when you're food needs higher fat like ice cream, or it won't freeze correctly.
Saya Otonashi - Blood +
Akatsuki - Log Horizon

Cons:
Otakon '10, '13, '14
Katsucon '14, '15
AUSA '10
pockyjin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2015, 06:38 AM   #14
AlFord
Al Ford

1.eat only steamed lean meats, eggs, healthy fruits ,vegetables, nuts, grains, & yogurt..2. drink only water, juice, & milk..3. walk or do some physical exercise 1-3 hour every day.
AlFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2015, 02:55 PM   #15
SwingKid

A gradual decrease in additives helps a lot. Mostly all spices, sauces, and the like do it add extra salt and sugar. I just add things to the bare minimum I can tolerate, and keep lessening over time. For example, I used to drink coffee with four huge spoons of sugar (I couldn't stand how bitter it was), but eventually got down to a small spoonful. Finding healthier substitutions helps too. I think anything less than whole milk tastes like water, but I have no problem with reduced fat cheese.

Are there any fruits or vegetables you like? Sometimes it's just a matter of finding what suits your taste. Like fresh pineapple (never canned, *shudder*); it's actually incredibly sweet.
SwingKid is offline   Reply With Quote