Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 12 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-14-2011, 12:44 AM   #16
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Although spot training is false, the fact of what it really does is what you need. Build more core muscle (and muscle overall) and loose fat overall (since you cannot control where the fat is lost). Muscle is denser tan fat so if you gain muscle all around and lose fat overall you may even gain weight (but it will be muscle weight, not fat weight).

Okay, I suck at explaining things... basically build more muscle and lose fat, for your wole body, focus on core muscle building.
Slapthefatcat is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-14-2011, 12:47 AM   #17
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

BMI sucks for telling if you are fat or not. A person who is well-built and a person who is overweight could weigh the same, so they would be the same BMI. Just saying.
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:54 AM   #18
ctg21361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yusette View Post
Sit-ups! They do wonders to a tummy
If it is the tummy, sit-ups won't do anything. Sit-ups are good for the upper abdominals, not the lower (where the tummy is). When you do sit-ups for the first time, you feel the soreness in the upper abdominals, above the navel. Again, leg raises are recommended for the lower abdominals. It is also recommended for those 35 and up, because once you reach 35, your abdominals weaken, which leads to digestive problems, tummy protrusion, distention, etc. (when did I learn this? Back in the 70's under the Weider method) If you want to do a crunch, make sure it involves both upper and lower abdominals to work the tummy as well. When you twist during the crunch, you work your obliques. And, there is no such thing as spot reducing. It's an advertising gimmick marketed towards people who want 'instant' results.

If you have a big exercise ball, do the ball transfer, where you hold it first, then bring your hands (holding the ball) toward your legs as they raise, raising your torso for a crunch (working both upper and lower, since your upper body and your legs are raising) while you catch the ball between your legs, then lower both upper and lower body down. You repeat, this time transfering the ball back to your hands. Do repetitions of that (transfering from hands to legs and legs to hands) and you will feel the soreness in both upper and lower abdominals (due to both parts of your abdominals working) if you are not used to crunches.
ctg21361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-14-2011, 09:32 PM   #19
Slapthefatcat
The man with the guns.

Use the ab exercise video in Kasinator's beginner fitness thread.
Unread 12-15-2011, 10:04 AM   #20
Gryphon Fyre

I'm definitely going to be trying some of these ideas! (I'm 5'2" as well, at 96 lbs.) I'm trying to get rid of my tummy...
Definitely keep us updated if anything works for you! c:
Gryphon Fyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 06:59 AM   #21
virjenga

The BMI is crap. Complete crap. In order to get to my "target weight" i would literally have to eat nothing but plain popcorn and NEVER stop running :/

Bicycles (like crunches, but where you rotate straightening and bending your legs) are wonderful for full abs exercising. Belly dancing is not only great core exercise but it is fun to boot! And you donít have to pay for a class - just get a video and dance around your house.

Side bends and leg lifts help create an hourglass silhouette!
virjenga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2011, 08:39 AM   #22
bcmilk

Try doing a few sit ups first. Do ten a day and increase it in a week. Have someone either step on your feet or have your feet hooked under something so it makes it easier. After that you can move onto a harder set where you lift your knees up and do sit ups. You can also add weights on your tummy to make it harder so it can help flatten your stomach.

You can also go to bed and do some exercises. You can lie down, lift you legs and you head whilst you cross your legs or move it up and down . Doing this kinda helps your tummy and its much easier.

I do these exercises at my fitness muay thai class. Its a lot of pain while you do it but my tummy;s looking a lot better now
bcmilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 02:01 PM   #23
inu.matto
Imperial Fist's waifu :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LunarCrazy View Post
^Have you been doing lots of walking?
Actually yes, I have always been a passionate walker, and now that I moved into a bigger city there's a vast variety of places I tend to go to. Plus whenever I can I go on foot instead of taking public transport. And climb stairs, sometimes just to reach a nice spot for sightseeing. Guess that must have been a reason I started losing weight without even being aware of it.
inu.matto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-17-2011, 11:54 PM   #24
LunarCrazy

See, I bet that's my belly-problem. I'm not s socialite, and I don't live in a nice big city where you can usually walk wherever you've got to go, so I have to find enjoyable things to do to stay off my butt and on my feet. Some people have said that simply being on your feet for longer periods than sitting will help take the pooch away also.
LunarCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2011, 11:03 PM   #25
Funtom Rabbit

You can't target spots I am afraid.
Funtom Rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #26
bodatheyoda
Thats right, love me

check these ab exercises out: I've done all of these and they are amazing :O http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2uAWuNLo0rk

My photography page on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Tk8919Photography
My DA: http://bodatheyoda.deviantart.com/

http://www.501st.com
bodatheyoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2011, 02:10 AM   #27
Redfe

What Keto and Funtom Rabbit said. Targeted weight loss is a total myth. Ab exercises are fine, yes, but there is no way to melt off pounds from a certain body part.
Unread 01-05-2012, 07:43 PM   #28
Priscilla_Chan8

For crunches, there are a variety you can try out. I don't like the typical, lying-on-your-back, trying not to kill your neck kind.

I like the ones where you sit on the floor, balancing on your tailbone, hands behind your head. Keeping your feet together, bring your knees up into almost a fetal position (remember- balancing on tailbone.) Each crunch cycle is bringing your knees up and touching your elbows, then going back down, you touch your toes to the ground, and back up again.

My fiance prefers the bicycle crunches previously mentioned.

"Mmm... that's some good root beer!"
Priscilla_Chan8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:33 PM   #29
SoraOkuda
Sora Okuda

Trying to tone up stomach area and ideas?

So I want to tone or flatten more of my stomach for my next cosplay...Some people wouldn't think I have a tummy but in my opinion I do. I know the general exercise is crunches, but does anyone know any other exercises? Oh and will it work before May?

"True love stories never have endings."

Next Con: Saboten 2012
Current Cospaly: Love is War Len
SoraOkuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #30
Somethingducky

Try looking into Pilates type exercise, it tends to focus on your "core" muscles and can be very useful in achieving that lean and toned look without doing just crunches and sit ups. I use exercise videos called "Core Fusion" and I know that my local gym offers Pilates classes.