Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Cosplay Tutorials

Unread 03-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #1
How to cover your body in face paint!

I just wanted to share with everyone a very easy way to cover your whole body in paint, make it look even and awesome, and last all day!

Here is the full tutorial using FAB water based paints - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p98_WrOkUdc

A few things about painting yourself-
  • Water- based vs. grease paints: almost all skin safe paints fall into these two categories. Water- based paints, like Mehron Paradise, Kryolan, Wolfe, and FAB are activated and removed with water. Grease paints do not require water to activate, and you will need an oil based makeup remover to remove completely. I prefer using water- based paint because it is light on the skin, won't rub off on my costume or anyone elses, and doesnt smudge or run.
  • How to extend the wear of the paint: walking around a con all day your skin will emit natural oils and sweat. To combat this and make your paint look vibrant all day long, I first apply a thin layer of Ben Nye final seal spray on the clean skin before painting. After I apply the paint and it is dry, I add another layer of final spray on top and let it dry completely. When you want to take off the paint, I use soap and water, or a makeup remover.
  • Things not to do: do not paint your body with anything that is not safe for the skin- acrylic paints, food coloring, etc. Be careful using liquid latex and alcohol- based paints, especially around the eyes. Liquid latex has a habit of taking your hair with it when you remove it, so don't put it in any hairy spots.
  • My favorite water based paint is FAB and they sell it at fxcosplay.com and sillyfarm.com. It is very lightweight and comfortable on the skin. Goes on very evenly so it looks like a second skin, and it is vibrant and long lasting. Not to mention very affordable and comes in a huge range of colors.

Hope this helps! <3
ebanks90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #2
Holy smokes, thanks for this. I need to paint myself blue for a costume and I was really sweating how long it would take. Kabuki brushes tend to be easy to get ahold of, too!
Tumblr! Facebook! Instagram! YouTube!

You're invited! You should come check out the Nintendo Photoshoot and the Undertale Photoshoot.
BeanBunny is offline   Reply With Quote