Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 7 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Nephtys_Moon

Firefly/River Tam cosplay

I plan on cosplaying River Tam for an upcoming convention called : I-Con. I have very limited sewing experience and I'm not 100% which of her costumes would be easiest to do besides the one where she 's wearing a pair of shorts and a sweater from "The Train Job". I really wanted to do the outfit she wore in "Serenity" where they are in a bar and she gets "triggered" and beats everyone up. It's the one sleeved tie dye type dress.

My main issue is whether or not this would be a good idea to pursue for a first timer , with my limited sewing skills?

My other issue is finding pics of the costumes. There seems to be a few websites that have screen caps from "Firefly" but none from "Serenity".

The other question I have is: I found a pair of boots , online, similar to the ones that River wears: http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/9793/a6215a9gp.jpg

but it's an awful lot of money to spend on something that I wouldn't be using on a regular basis. I love how similar they are to the original boots, but I don't myself love them. I feel like they're a bit too bulky and tough looking (which is fine for River cause she's so tiny) but I'm a plus sized gal. I already feel big. I don't want to get something that 's going to make me feel bigger than I am.

Is there another pair of boots she wears on either the show or in the movie that I can get?
Nephtys_Moon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-30-2011, 09:12 PM   #2
pigtailedgirl99
Pigtailedigirl99

Right now Forever 21 has a decent pair of biker boots that are good alternates. I made River's purple Heist outfit for Dragon Con this year. I was fortunate enough to find fabric at one of my stores that was dyed close to hers. All I did was cut out the sections that needed blue dye added and restitched them. I used brown badminton netting and fabric paint for the cover....it seemed to work really well. As for the brown shirt, I just got two white ones, dyed them and frankenstein-ed them into hers. It was actually pretty easy once I got started and I'm not great at sewing. Now I hope to start her blue one...I found some fabric that should work, just need to paint the flower on the sheer overlay.
Good luck!!!!
pigtailedgirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote