Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Unread 09-16-2011, 10:01 PM   #1
audrey12345

How important is looking like the character?

I think it's pretty important when you're doing something that's live action.

Unread 09-19-2011, 12:47 PM   #2
tereshkova2001

I don't think it matters at all. The costume will identify the character, not your facial resemblance to the actor. If you happen to look like the actor it's a nice bonus, but not necessary.
tereshkova2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #3
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

I agree with the OP. Yea, I think especially for live action cosplays, appearance matters. This is because the characters seem more real, since they actually do kind of exist (when the actor played the character). Appearance definitely adds to the accuracy and authenticity. It is really awesome to see people who actually look like the characters they portray. However, I personally don't care if other people resemble the characters that much, if the costume is good enough, it doesn't matter. But for my own purposes, for MY cosplay, it really matters to me. Which means I shouldn't be cosplaying Sweeney, according to my standards. And yet I still do. Go figure. :P

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:13 AM   #4
DemonBarberST
We all wear a mask..

I find it a bonus, but not a necessity. Like SweeneyTodd above me said, it's the costume itself that makes it -- for me at least.

*The Phantom of the Opera: The Phantom/Erik/Red Death(2004 Movie Version)
*Sweeney Todd
*Prince Eric (Disney's The Little Mermaid)
*Harry Potter
*Pirate (From Pirates of the Caribbean)
*Johnny Depp
*Orlando Bloom/Will Turner
*Clark Kent/Superman
*Haunted Mansion Stretching Portrait Quick Sand Character
*Oscar--The Great & Powerful Oz
DemonBarberST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 02:43 PM   #5
SweeneyTodd

The costume and how the person carries the character. A really dedicated cosplayer who doesn't exactly resemble the characters, is better than one who looks exactly like the character but does a half-ass job portraying the character. Posing in photos also adds to my judgment of cosplayers

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-28-2011, 02:34 AM   #6
eBay Sniper
Sanguini Draculae

I see where everybody is going with this and I will have to agree as well the most part.

The thing is, for most cosplay out there, a character usually sticks out from normal clothing. For example, Sephiroth. No one is ever going to look like him, but its all about how good the cosplay is and such.

BUT, when it comes to a lot of live action, it becomes harder then 'just making the cosplay'. Some things out there are pretty far out and recognizable, yes, like your Sweeny Todds I see in some of your avatars.

But what about characters that wear more normal style clothing? Take X-Files for example, widely known, but if you go to a cosplay event, youre not going to know that they are cosplaying Scully and Mulder unless they actually look like the actors. I even had an experience like this years back when I cosplayed Jack Bauer from 24, even with the trademark 'CTU' jacket and satchel and what have you, no one really recognized it. Its rather unfortunate.

Well, those are my two cents.

2014 cons: Shatterdome Con for sure, and maybe other local ones like AUSA.

Deviant Art - http://scarlet-impaler.deviantart.com/
Facebook - www.facebook.com/marluxia.tepes
eBay Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #7
SweeneyTodd

Yea, you bring up a really good point. for more "normal" appearance cosplays it definitely becomes necessary to actually resemble the character you are cosplaying. I never really thought about cosplaying characters who wear everyday clothing (Dr. House for example).

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-28-2011, 04:44 PM   #8
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Yea, you bring up a really good point. for more "normal" appearance cosplays it definitely becomes necessary to actually resemble the character you are cosplaying. I never really thought about cosplaying characters who wear everyday clothing (Dr. House for example).
I actually saw a House cosplay on DevArt and I had no idea who she was supposed to be. After I looked up House and put the pictures side by side, I realized that she actually had a spot on cosplay.. aside from me not having any idea who she was.

I'm going to whine about Dr Horrible again, since it's coming up for me.. I was originally going to do his lab coat for one day and go as Billy for another. My friend had to convince me that nobody would have any idea that I was Billy, since his costume isn't an actual *costume,* but just NPH in jeans and a sweatshirt.

Needless to say, I'm going in the damn lab coat all three days..
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:52 PM   #9
SweeneyTodd

Was it from ManainHeaven? She does an amazing House cosplay!

lol Whats wrong with going in the lab coat all 3 days?

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 09-28-2011, 06:59 PM   #10
Lt.Finn
Cupcake Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweeneyTodd View Post
Was it from ManainHeaven? She does an amazing House cosplay!

lol Whats wrong with going in the lab coat all 3 days?
I don't remember... It was really good once I figure out who she was.

And about the lab coat.. it was really a combination of things that led up to me resenting it. Plus, I kind of wanted to be Billy for a day.. walking around with a yoghurt cup and blinking really hard at people.
Lt.Finn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2011, 09:54 PM   #11
SweeneyTodd

Quote:
walking around with a yoghurt cup and blinking really hard at people.
lol that sounds interesting. You actually stay in character for most of the day?

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
Unread 12-20-2011, 04:54 AM   #12
Rei Yuriko

Yeah I think it definitely plays more of a role in live action than animation because in animation the character is simplified enough that a lot of people could look "like" them in most cases. In both cases I think their are really two factors that contribute to the necessity of an accurate physical likeness. One is the distinctiveness of the characters appearance. If they look rather average it doesn't matter that much, however if they have distinctive features like a large angular nose or a sharp chin and you have a face like mine (little round button nose and round face) its not going to work so well. The other is the distinctiveness of the costume. If the character has a very distinctive costume as in the costume is the character and the costume is highly recognizable to people familiar with the source material and is far from normal street cloths, then physical likeness is less important. If, however the Character wheres plain cloths (street cloths or the like) even if you where exactly the same outfit you won't be recognized unless you at less have a passable resemblance.

That's not to say you shouldn't do your favourite character if it really inspires you even if you look nothing like them. Just remember your doing it for yourself not for accuracy. If its not important to you to have people recognize you and take pictures then just have fun with it.
Rei Yuriko is offline   Reply With Quote