Go Back   Cosplay.com > Reviews > Commissioner Review

Unread 02-25-2009, 10:52 AM   #1
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

*Tips on how to be safe on the MP*

Since the new Marketplace is fully functional now and people are buying and selling, you will occasionally come across those who are out for your money and will try to scam you. This thread is to be used for posting any information and helpful tips to those who are thinking about or are using the marketplace. I'm a long time user of Ebay and Paypal and I understand how they work, and how different Ebay and this MP is.

I'm a huge believer in the idea that people should read the RULES of everything first and if they don't and get scammed, it's pretty much their fault for not being safe. On the other hand, I don't want those scammers to accumulate money off of the people who don't pay attention, so this thread is born to inform.

First, and most obviously, ALWAYS USE COMMON SENSE. If something is too good to be true, it probably is. Commissioners make money for what they are good at. They aren't going to make it cheap unless you ask for cheap materials, but they also are charging you for the time they put into making it.

Secondly, do RESEARCH. If your looking for someone to commission a costume or anything and you get a reply back from them always ask for any credentials they might have, or a gallery of what they have done. Also, you can check the thread that has a list of commissioners and what people have said about them here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=105758

Another helpful hint is to use paypal. If the other person does not live up to their end of the bargain you can file a claim/dispute and they will undergo a check on it and if they feel that you are correct then you will be reimbursed. Money orders can be used if you don't have paypal, but it's just not reliable and could get 'lost' in the mail. Also for those who don't know about paypal, you do not need a credit card to become a member. If you have a bank account, you can use paypal. It just takes a few days for the payment to clear, but it works.

If anyone has any other helpful hints or would like to discuss anything, please feel free!

~pocky_penguin66~

*PS* If this needs to be moved to a different section, feel free to move it mods. Thanks
Fionna the Human ~Adventure Time

Last edited by pocky_penguin66 : 02-25-2009 at 10:55 AM.
pocky_penguin66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-27-2009, 08:22 AM   #2
Bahzi
Hi gaiz!

Some good info here, but I think it should be noted that Paypal is not really a safeguard in these situations.

Most full costume and larger piece commissions will be paid for more than two months before their expected due date, and Paypal has a 45 day limit from the time payment is made to dispute a transaction. Also, unless the seller has the funds in their Paypal balance (not just in their bank account or a credit line on a linked credit card), Paypal cannot and will not reimburse any money to you even if the dispute is found to be in your favor. In these sitations you are better off refuting charges with your credit card company if it is within their terms and limitations to do so.

I've been on the loosing side of a few such 'failure to remit item' cases, and I can say with no false certainty that in most cases, it's no safer than a money order or cash.
Bahzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2009, 04:47 PM   #3
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

Thank you for clearing that up. I forgot about the time limit in regarding to that. Also, its even lengthier of a time because of the time it takes to make the costume.
Unread 03-01-2009, 12:49 PM   #4
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

The MP is back and running now with new rules! Yippee! No more emailing now, and its strictly PM.
Unread 03-01-2009, 05:40 PM   #5
DatSephirothDude
Yay! ^^~

Sadly, I think I got scammed. A person selling the jounin cosplay from Naruto was looking for $50 or a trade. I was gonna trade my Orgy XIII cloak, and we've made a deal. I sent it, but I have not recieved anything for 2 weeks. I've sent 2 emails and got no replies. I live in NJ and the person lives in PA, so shipping wouldn't take long.

I went to check if the ad is still up, but it isn't, so I'm not sure if it expired or the person took it down. Meh, what can I do? Just a heads up to people here.
DatSephirothDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2009, 07:45 PM   #6
pocky_penguin66
Voxx

@Sephiroth- Yeah things like trades can be tricky. There is no way to complain if someone does not complete a trade fully, except make others aware of that person you dealt with, but those people may be using multiple accounts. You just never know.
Unread 12-02-2011, 12:04 PM   #7
SeizetsuKenSeie
Illustrator & Crafter

This thread is a little old, but still relevant to my questions and concerns. I recently got scammed on the market place by member ocelotnvrlose. I posted in the comments on her item listings that they were scams, but I am looking for a better way to warn others. Do you know if there is a thread specifically for posting the names of users who accepted money but never delivered the goods or services they promised?

How do we report these users to cosplay.com?
Unread 12-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
Blood_Sword
The samuraiholic guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeizetsuKenSeie View Post
This thread is a little old, but still relevant to my questions and concerns. I recently got scammed on the market place by member ocelotnvrlose. I posted in the comments on her item listings that they were scams, but I am looking for a better way to warn others. Do you know if there is a thread specifically for posting the names of users who accepted money but never delivered the goods or services they promised?

How do we report these users to cosplay.com?
Could these threads maybe be something?
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=105758
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=74409

*~In progress~*
Masamune Date - Sengoku Basara
Luxray (gijinka) - Pokémon
Souji Okita (SSL) - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan

*~Next con I'm attending~*
FIN Kitacon (1-2 March 2014)
SAT Keisuke Sannan - Hakuōki: Shinsengumi Kitan
SUN Gin Ichimaru - Bleach
Blood_Sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2011, 11:21 PM   #9
Spencer Sisters
The One and Only

One of the main things I look at when searching the Marketplace is to see if the poster has an active account (i.e. posting photos of costumes, actually posting in the forums...). If it's someone posting a lot of costumes/wigs, but doesn't even have a single picture up in their gallery, I question its authenticity.

Also, a key thing: as with eBay, if a stock photo is used don't bother. More often than not, especially if it's used, it's not going to look like that. It could also be a "stolen" image. Legit sellers actually take effort to photography their items to give the best accuracy.
Spencer Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote