Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Death Note

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-13-2005, 10:24 PM   #1
Reyaughi

Death Note Cosplay

I want to try cosplaying as L, from the manga Death Note. I know the costume is very simple, but I love his character. This will be my first cosplay, aside from a stint as Pantsman from VGcats. I am also female, which will make things a tad more complicated, and I wear glasses. Is anyone familiar with this character? Any tips would be appreciated... and I'm also a bit confused as to L's hair color. It ranges from dark brown to black.
Reyaughi is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-13-2005, 11:17 PM   #2
Gotham
Player One

Death Note is great! I would love to do L someday. For the costume itself, just buy a pair of men's/boy's jeans from walmart or some other store. Make sure they are for guys though, becaues the cut will help hide your hips and such. On top of that get a baggy white t-shirt and maybe stretch out the neck a bit. Since you are a girl, you are gonna have to bind. Check out the crossplay section for some tips and suggestions. As for the hair. I would say go with the brown. While it is colored black in the cells, it is mostly brown in the colored drawings. If you are worried about wearing glasses, what I have seen some cosplayers do is wear them around the con, but take them off for pictures.

Hope that helped!

AUSA
Katsucon
Animazement
Gotham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 01:44 AM   #3
Reyaughi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham
Death Note is great! I would love to do L someday. For the costume itself, just buy a pair of men's/boy's jeans from walmart or some other store. Make sure they are for guys though, becaues the cut will help hide your hips and such. On top of that get a baggy white t-shirt and maybe stretch out the neck a bit. Since you are a girl, you are gonna have to bind. Check out the crossplay section for some tips and suggestions. As for the hair. I would say go with the brown. While it is colored black in the cells, it is mostly brown in the colored drawings. If you are worried about wearing glasses, what I have seen some cosplayers do is wear them around the con, but take them off for pictures.

Hope that helped!
Thank you for the suggestions ^-^ I think I may just use some really dark makeup for the bags under the eyes too. It is nice to find a fellow Death Note fan!
Unread 09-14-2005, 01:55 AM   #4
Gwydion
Cardboard is Love

Yeah Death Note! ^_^

I think the biggest thing you could do is to prepare for the role, lol. Since L moves and sits weird, perhaps practicing a bit would help you when it comes to posing for pictures. It's one of his most defining features, and I think it would really sell the costume. I've also seen people use props like cell phones, tea cups, and food while cosplaying L, so maybe think about something like that.

And I agree about the make up under the eyes. It should give you a much more "L" look. ^_~
Prince Alexander, King's Quest VI - 75% done
Gwydion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:05 AM   #5
Reyaughi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwydion
Yeah Death Note! ^_^

I think the biggest thing you could do is to prepare for the role, lol. Since L moves and sits weird, perhaps practicing a bit would help you when it comes to posing for pictures. It's one of his most defining features, and I think it would really sell the costume. I've also seen people use props like cell phones, tea cups, and food while cosplaying L, so maybe think about something like that.

And I agree about the make up under the eyes. It should give you a much more "L" look. ^_~
Lol, I actually already act a lot like L, that's part of why I chose him ^-^* I chew my fingers, eat like a squirrel in front of my computer, and tend to hunch and slump too. I may use halloween as a practice and then go to a con as him when I can ^-^
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:17 AM   #6
Mma10naM
Queen -o- Waffle

oooh~! I've got an L question...

I'm going to need a wig for this cosplay and was wondering which style of wig I should get? I usually try to do cosplays that I can use my natural hair for cosplay so I'm not too familiar with wig types....Should I just get a chin length wig and cut the heck out of it?? Or is there an easier way O___@~?

I would suggest getting some of those marching koala cookies for L cosplay!! yummyyyyy~
Mma10naM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:36 AM   #7
Reyaughi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mma10naM
oooh~! I've got an L question...

I'm going to need a wig for this cosplay and was wondering which style of wig I should get? I usually try to do cosplays that I can use my natural hair for cosplay so I'm not too familiar with wig types....Should I just get a chin length wig and cut the heck out of it?? Or is there an easier way O___@~?

I would suggest getting some of those marching koala cookies for L cosplay!! yummyyyyy~
I've got no expierience with wigs... but chin length sounds about right... Yay Koala cookies!
Unread 09-14-2005, 02:41 AM   #8
Mma10naM
Queen -o- Waffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reyaughi
I've got no expierience with wigs... but chin length sounds about right... Yay Koala cookies!

yessssssss~ The koala cookies!!! My friend randomly bought me some one day and that was the day I decided to do L cosplay x3
Mma10naM is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 06:21 AM   #9
etc

L is a brillant character!

One of the most important things to focus on, is doing his hair right. It's what makes L.. L!

How long is your hair? L-hair isn't actually that hard to style, as long as your hair isn't any longer then your chin.. Otherwise, a styled wig would be good, as long as you give it enough staying-up-power for the spikey side.

Good luck! =)
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 08:51 AM   #10
Gotham
Player One

Coloring under the eyes is a great idea. I would never have thought of that. For the spikes in the hair, I would suggest using either Loreal hair glue or got2b hair gel. These have both worked well for me in the past.
Unread 09-15-2005, 02:25 PM   #11
etc

woot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotham
Coloring under the eyes is a great idea. I would never have thought of that. For the spikes in the hair, I would suggest using either Loreal hair glue or got2b hair gel. These have both worked well for me in the past.
For hair products, a blowdrier, a good flat iron, and Paul Mitchell Dry Wax works really well to create the spikes. Try wetting your hair, putting hair product in, while it's still damp (something with a flexible hold, like Bedhead-Manipulator). Blow dry half of your hair while hanging your hair upside down, and then when it dries, you can define the spikes with a flat iron, your product (Drywax!), and lots and lots of hairspray. ^_^ If you hair is thick, gel might be too heavy and fall down easily. It would work well if your hair is very short though. =)
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-15-2005, 11:46 PM   #12
Reyaughi

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc
L is a brillant character!

One of the most important things to focus on, is doing his hair right. It's what makes L.. L!

How long is your hair? L-hair isn't actually that hard to style, as long as your hair isn't any longer then your chin.. Otherwise, a styled wig would be good, as long as you give it enough staying-up-power for the spikey side.

Good luck! =)
I'm actually going to just go to the hair stylist and ask her to cut it so that I can style it like L's.... I figure that'll be the best way to do it...
Unread 09-17-2005, 05:15 AM   #13
Gotham
Player One

Wow, hair cutting, that is dedication. Let us know how your costume turns out!
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:46 PM   #14
Reyaughi

http://photobucket.com/albums/v89/Re...rent=LPlay.jpg I got my hair cut today and gave the lady an L picture. She said I'll need a flat iron and hair wax and gave me a bunch of tips ^-^
Unread 10-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #15
Gotham
Player One

Awesome! Way to go that extra mile. Let me know what products you use in your hair.