Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Costume-Con

Unread 05-11-2011, 01:48 PM   #1
Gravely

CC-30 (2012) Programming

Greetings all.
Well, with the success of CC-29 now in the books, we all start thinking about the next one.
CC-30 in Phoenix AZ May 11-14

I have been asked to do 2 things for the con.

1st to be head of programming. I will be assisted by Ciera Peterson who has worked on and headed many southwestern cons, and will be shadowed by Aurora Celeste, head of programming for CC-32 in Toronto

Feel free to ask or suggest topics and /or teachers ( yes, even yourself) to us here or thru a PM

2nd, I have been asked to be the 'speaker to cosplay.com' for the con.

of course you can always ask any questions and I hope anyone with answers does answer as well. I am NOT in anyway, the only voice here.

When I was a con chair for cc-27, I was on here at least every other day to answer questions, give advice, and promote costume con. You rewarded me and my co chair Marty Gear, with one of the best CC's ever, with a huge showing from the cosplay crowd, both american and foriegn.

I hope that can be the case with this next cc as well. please feel free to ask anything about the con here, and if I dont know it, I will get you the info asap.

Trixy says CC is known as secret con, I would like to help change that

you may also if you like, join the cc yahoo group. its not that active, but many folks who aren't on cosplay.com, are on that
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/CostumeCon/

Gravely
owner of Castle Blood the most interactive, costume friendly haunted house anywhere.
Co-Chair Costume-Con 27 ( 2009) Baltimore,Maryland
Cosplay Guest of Honor, Anime North, Toronto, May 2009,2010
founding president NJ/NY chapter ICG
2004 recipient ICG Lifetime Achievement Award
http://www.facebook.com/gravely.maccabre
Gravely is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Absolutely!
Ask questions - answers will be obtained!

Having the cosplayers around adds to the fun. CCs are very different from anime cons but if you love costuming you will love Costume-Con.
von Drago is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 04:23 PM   #3
stardust462
SNES obsessed

I kind of agree with Trixy that Costume Con is a "secret" con, as in I don't think most cosplayers know what it's all about. I think a lot of them may be intimidated by the long tradition and skills of its attendees. I attended CC 27 and 29 and had a blast both times, learning a lot and seeing so many amazing costumes.

I think it's important to get cosplayers interested in attending Costume Con now, that way they can plan ahead and save money so they can attend in addition to their usual anime conventions.

I can't wait for CC30, especially because I've never been to Arizona. The hotel and surrounding area look amazing.

For panels, I'd like to see some about working with materials to make armor and props. Things like fiberglass, sintra, styrene, other types of plastic, etc. Maybe another panel about wood and the different kinds you can use for props, and costumes too. Also, I wasn't able to get to them, but I liked seeing the panels on sewing machines and machine feet. I'd like to see those again and hopefully be able to attend. I just wish I had a time turner to attend all the different panels there are at Costume Con.
AnimeCons.com ~ AnimeCons TV
stardust462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 08:04 PM   #4
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

I'd like to see some more advanced construction panels instead of the discussion panels about the basics of costuming that were most of the panels this year. For example, I'd really like a panel with demonstrations of resist dying (batik and the like) or heat stamping pile fabrics.

By the way, my husband and I would very much like to do a panel on the costumes of The Wild Wild West (as in the costumes of the TV show). Would that be, in any way, possible? We'd like to talk about the materials, show some close-up picks, talk about what some of the pieces ere called, and show some clips form the show where the costumes are in use.
Kawa Kon: Into Darkness in 2014!
supergeekgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2011, 11:10 PM   #5
Buddycat
Assistant ICG Archivist

These are great ideas, but I will caution that the demos mentioned are difficult to do because they involve making messes, or are smelly. Also, any of these more advanced techniques would pretty much necessitate they be demoed by local(ish) people, because the further away panelists are, the less likely they're going to want to schlep materials with them.

Of course, if you can encourage panelists to bring handouts, that would be much more useful than just talking about them, or saying, "look at my laptop". At the very least, a sheet of webpages people can look up later would be good.

As for CC being a "secret con", it's not for lack of trying that many of us have made efforts to let more people know about it. Part of the problem is there is no "centralized command" for CC, because each one is is run by a different group, thus no continuity. Promotional efforts vary in effectiveness, depending on who's in charge. There's also the distance factor, because the con moves around each year.

It has been our experience that the highest concentration of people at CC wind up living roughly a day's drive to the con's location. The rest are the veterans that attend every year. Some committees don't like to hear that, but once you start analyzing your membership data, it's what bears out pretty much every time. Of course, once a new costumer comes, they're hooked.

Also, most people who go to anime cons and/or live in on the West Coast believe they pretty much have all they want - why should they leave their favorite venues to go elsewhere? Fortunately, it sounds like the Canadians have managed to get a better percentage of people in their region to look beyond that.

As for the intimidation factor - I get that. But we all started out (well, most of us) with less sophisticated skills. Not everyone is a "Master Costumer" (a complete misnomer), but I'm not sure how to combat that.

https://www.youtube.com/user/ICGArchives

Also visit the International Costumers Gallery: http://www.costume.org/gallery2/main.php
Buddycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 10:17 AM   #6
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

There's another issue I saw crop up quite a bit this year. We've been talking about it on Facebook. A lot of cosplayers came this year for the first time and thought it was terribly boring.

The reasons cited are these:
1. They are used to non-stop programming and a lot of people in the hallways to boot. CC has a break in the programming for dinner and no outside programming options during the masquerades. I'm not saying that this should change just that, when advertising to cosplayers, we need to be conscious of this difference. Many of them thought this would be a con for showing off their cosplay in the halls and complained to me (apparently because I am in the same age group) about the lack of people taking their pictures. This obviously wasn't everyone, but the complaint came up from at least two separate cosplay groups who were there.

2. There are a lot of CC in-jokes. This actually bothers me a bit too. If we're going to have "entertainment" (aka a funny emcee or a play during the social), it needs to be accessible even to us n00bs who don't know what happened at CC8. A few little in-jokes is fine, but this con in particular seemed to thrive on it. To some of the people who had never been, it almost seemed like the jokes were there to make them feel young and stupid.

3. Again with the cosplay culture differences. Many cosplayers were encouraged to come thinking it would be a cosplay-centric convention only to find that they were actually insulted regularly by some attendees simply for having anime-based costumes. I know Dawn has a bit to say on that too. There's a big difference in the costuming culture of cosplay which I saw several panels covering at CC (yay!), but one of the biggest is that cosplayers EXPECT to have lots of pictures taken, AND they expect to pose in character. It took me a little getting used to at CC28 when photographers wanted detail shots rather than poses. You know, now that I'm talking about it, I kind of feel out of place in the fact that I dress up most of the time while at CCs because many of the costumers don't wear hall costumes. I feel like I'm being laughed at as a n00b.

TL;DR - Cosplayers are still feeling out of place at CC because the con is being marketed as just another con with more of a costuming focus. That's not really what it is. Perhaps we should find a different way to explain it to cosplayers so that they don't feel out of place or get bored?
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #7
Sarcasm-hime
bead addict

I've never felt like I was being laughed at or looked down upon for wearing hall costumes at CC....? People were insulted for wearing anime costumes? That's the first I've heard of it and rather disturbing.

The International Costuming Convention is returning to Toronto Canada!
4 Days! 4 Masquerades! Shopping, Tours, Parties, Costuming Panels and Classes, Cosplay, Props, Doll Show & Competitions, Steampunk, Sci-fi, Fantasy, and so much more!

the den of sarcasm - my website
Magpie Creations - jewellery and wa-loli accessories
Sarcasm-hime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:49 PM   #8
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread? Misconceptions about Costume-Con & what cosplayers should expect?

I also find it disturbing & somewhat hard to believe that someone would be insulted about their costume, of any kind, at a CC. Where on FB is this discussion?
Unread 05-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #9
stardust462
SNES obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by supergeekgirl View Post
1. They are used to non-stop programming and a lot of people in the hallways to boot.
I think the layout of the hotel didn't help with this at all. At CC27 in Maryland there was that huge open lobby area with lots of place to sit, see all the different costumes, and hang out and meet new people. This hotel was very disjointed with the most of the panels in one part of the building, and all the tables and a very tiny lobby area in another part.

Quote:
2. There are a lot of CC in-jokes. This actually bothers me a bit too. If we're going to have "entertainment" (aka a funny emcee or a play during the social), it needs to be accessible even to us n00bs who don't know what happened at CC8. A few little in-jokes is fine, but this con in particular seemed to thrive on it. To some of the people who had never been, it almost seemed like the jokes were there to make them feel young and stupid.
I felt this way too, though I didn't feel . I guess I'm kind of used to it because when I go to my ICG chapter meetings there's always a lot of reminiscing about the past and old stories, but there's also explanation to go with it. My mom and I were talking about the con on the way home (she came to CC27 also) and we think there needs to be some element to the con that makes new members feel like they're not outsiders, because sometimes I did feel that way (my shyness doesn't help with that either). I don't know if the CC Virgins panel on Friday covered anything like that

Quote:
3. Again with the cosplay culture differences. Many cosplayers were encouraged to come thinking it would be a cosplay-centric convention only to find that they were actually insulted regularly by some attendees simply for having anime-based costumes.
That's not cool. I've been trying to get more of my friends to attend Costume Cons and join our local ICG chapter for a few years now, but they're always apprehensive. Things like this don't help.

I didn't get any insults from my costumes, in fact I got a lot of compliments from the ones I wore.

Quote:
TL;DR - Cosplayers are still feeling out of place at CC because the con is being marketed as just another con with more of a costuming focus. That's not really what it is. Perhaps we should find a different way to explain it to cosplayers so that they don't feel out of place or get bored?
Exactly. I've always felt that the ICG and Costume Con has been very welcoming to cosplayers and encouraging of them. I know when I joined my ICG chapter at Arisia (Boston sci-fi con) in 2008 they were very excited to have a cosplayer join.
AnimeCons.com ~ AnimeCons TV
stardust462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:23 PM   #10
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Drago View Post
Maybe this needs to be a seperate thread? Misconceptions about Costume-Con & what cosplayers should expect?

I also find it disturbing & somewhat hard to believe that someone would be insulted about their costume, of any kind, at a CC. Where on FB is this discussion?
It's on the page of a guy I met at CC. Several people were talking on that page who had gone for one day and been bored, so I chimed in to explain that it's not meant to be the same sort of convention as they're used to.

And please don't shoot the messenger, here. I just know the people who were complaining will probably never post anything about it directly on here.

I did see one "insult" specifically which was that the woman in the wheelchair (don't know her name) at the ICG meeting said something about opening things up to anime characters. Beyond that, it was just hearsay from the people I met saying that they changed out of their cosplay outfits because they got insulting remarks. It could very well be exactly the sort of thing I mentioned at the meeting, though - people taking their characters VERY seriously and simply finding it insulting that others didn't know the characters.
Unread 05-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #11
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Quote:
And please don't shoot the messenger, here. I just know the people who were complaining will probably never post anything about it directly on here.

I did see one "insult" specifically which was that the woman in the wheelchair (don't know her name) at the ICG meeting said something about opening things up to anime characters. Beyond that, it was just hearsay from the people I met saying that they changed out of their cosplay outfits because they got insulting remarks. It could very well be exactly the sort of thing I mentioned at the meeting, though - people taking their characters VERY seriously and simply finding it insulting that others didn't know the characters.
Not shooting anyone - where did you get that idea? How can we see what needs to be fixed (or not) if we don't know what people are saying?

As for the incident you mention - I think you may have misunderstood. She wasn't discussing cosplay or anime costuming, she was talking about the drawn characters themselves under the specific circumstance being discussed at the meeting. Without going into the totally dull details it had nothing to do with conventions or convention costuming.

But taken out of context... well, we all know that happens.

It definitely bothers me that some folks felt insulted. Probably all about perception on both sides, huh? I don't think anyone would say something deliberately insulting (maybe, but I hope not) but may not have realized what it sounded like. Or on the receiving end, maybe they over-reacted - as you said. Sad really.
Unread 05-12-2011, 05:44 PM   #12
supergeekgirl
Kawa Kon Chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by von Drago View Post
Not shooting anyone - where did you get that idea? How can we see what needs to be fixed (or not) if we don't know what people are saying?
Just preemptively saying it because anything that makes one of our community sound bad could easily start a flame war.

But everything said, I would have preferred less in-jokes. That was what I heard the most complaints about all weekend, and I agree that it was alienating. The emcee did it constantly, and a few are fine, but it was A LOT of the masquerade emceeing.
Unread 05-12-2011, 06:45 PM   #13
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

move to the other tread ^^

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg

Last edited by trixyloupwolf : 05-12-2011 at 07:13 PM.
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
von Drago
Well, you're wrong!

Okay, I've started a new thread to discuss CC similarities & differences so Gravely can have his thread back about programming for CC30.
Does anyone know if individual posts can be moved over or will we have to re-iterate/copy some of what we've already said?
Unread 05-12-2011, 07:12 PM   #15
trixyloupwolf
A LONELY kitty

move to the other tread nya!!

were no one is...there i should hide and awaite.....
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...1_edited-2.jpg
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c2...600x120-v4.jpg

Last edited by trixyloupwolf : 05-12-2011 at 07:14 PM.
trixyloupwolf is offline   Reply With Quote