Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Trinity Blood

Unread 01-01-2012, 03:46 PM   #1
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Astharoshe Asran Armor, help?

So I have started the momentous task of making an Astharoshe Asran from Trinity Blood cosplay...

Reference images here:

Basic image
http://www.zerochan.net/127053

Book art image:
http://www.zerochan.net/347275

Me being a perfectionist, I want it to look good but I need it to be made from something affordable and easy to work with since I have little to no experience in cosplay armor making.

What would you suggest?

-I have seen others use craft foam and epoxy-resin with good results. However, what brand of resin is good and where can I easily find it? What should I know about working with these type of materials?

Any help you can provide would be beneficial...I've been attempting this cosplay for several years now and always get hung up on the armor bits.

And for her staff...oh God those rings and random bits! Should I try a mixture of foam and acrylic rods? Papermache?

Help? Please?

Last edited by Anhelitta : 01-10-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: Adding to request
Anhelitta is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-10-2012, 08:33 PM   #2
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Anyone? Anyone who has cosplayed anything from Trinity Blood or even this character?
Hate to sound desperate but...I sort of am xp
Unread 01-10-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
Amanita

I am not sure about the resin, but the craft foam armor is definitely a good idea. As for the staff, you might be able to get circles cut out of colored plastic sheeting, and drill holes in the center, to pass a rod through.
Amanita is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM   #4
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanita View Post
I am not sure about the resin, but the craft foam armor is definitely a good idea. As for the staff, you might be able to get circles cut out of colored plastic sheeting, and drill holes in the center, to pass a rod through.
Yeah...I've been browsing amethyst angels site and saw several things besides the resin...
Thinking about investing in Wonderflex and friendlyplastic as I own a heat gun and an oven to soften the WF with...
That's a good idea for the rings! Thanks for your suggestion!
Unread 01-11-2012, 10:43 PM   #5
Kiromaru
DarkStar

Okay the only part I can comment on is the plates. If you do use foamboard I would recommend a primer of a H20 Latex paint and then use whatever metallic paint you prefer but that h20 keeps the foam inside the foam board from rotting,melting, or generally mucking up. Also if you've got the money for wonderflex or heavier plastics and can spend time working them then do that! My foamboard cosplay is me staying in a super cheap budget. So far I've built most of the armor for my set for less than the cost of a pair of shoes for another cosplay! ^_^

I wish you luck!
Kiromaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
Anhelitta
Insanely Detail Oriented

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiromaru View Post
Okay the only part I can comment on is the plates. If you do use foamboard I would recommend a primer of a H20 Latex paint and then use whatever metallic paint you prefer but that h20 keeps the foam inside the foam board from rotting,melting, or generally mucking up. Also if you've got the money for wonderflex or heavier plastics and can spend time working them then do that! My foamboard cosplay is me staying in a super cheap budget. So far I've built most of the armor for my set for less than the cost of a pair of shoes for another cosplay! ^_^

I wish you luck!
Good to know!
I actually made a set of plates out of foam, metallic vinyl, and some other material I found...they weren't too bad but they were heavy and didn't fit me properly...I have been saving up for this cosplay and I might just go with the Wonderflex and learn to love my hot glue gun for detailing...