Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 12-11-2012, 10:22 PM   #1
Kokoro
Classic.

Male Kanaya (Homestuck) Cosplay

I'm planning on crossplaying as a male version of Kanaya from Homestuck. She's got a lot of outfits, and I've been dead set on her B&W Dress, which roughly looks like this:

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6073/6...7eb2088b_z.jpg
and
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__...ayabwdress.png (sprite form)

I've planned to wear a black tuxedo vest and a white shirt underneath, along with black dress pants and either a white sash or a white belt, along with a couple of modifications, and I ran into some problems with them.

The couple of other problems were more of questions:

1. The first was that I wanted to incorporate the white part of her skirt into the pants somehow, and I thought to make a part of the pants white, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing that. I was thinking of dying white dress pants, but that felt like it could get kind of messy. Are there any other ways to get pants that are black and partially white?

2. There's a noticeable patch of the sign of Virgo on her shirt. I considered using iron on, but the vest I will have won't be cotton or a cotton blend, and as far as I've been told, iron-ons only really work well with the aforementioned fabrics. Are there any recommendations to how I can get that Virgo sign on?

3. I'm not quite sure whether to use the belt or the sash. I was hoping for a general opinion on which would look better in terms of both male version cosplay, and also accuracy to the original.

4. The two green stripes on her skirt I wasn't sure what to do with. I thought to use iron-ons too, but the same problem about fabrics arose. Any ideas with that?

Ugh sorry about the walls of texts. x__X

"Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving." -Dennis Waitley

Last edited by Kokoro : 01-05-2013 at 06:53 PM.
Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-12-2012, 05:32 PM   #2
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokoro View Post

1. There's a noticeable patch of the sign of Virgo on her shirt. I considered using iron on, but the vest I will have won't be cotton or a cotton blend, and as far as I've been told, iron-ons only really work well with the aforementioned fabrics. Are there any recommendations to how I can get that Virgo sign on?
Fabric paint and a template of the virgo sign will be your best friend here, I recommend using a sponge brush for the applying and dabbing instead of stroking on the paint since it wont run as much.
Quote:
2. I'm not quite sure whether to use the belt or the sash. I was hoping for a general opinion on which would look better in terms of both male version cosplay, and also accuracy to the original.
Since you are wearing a tux... I think a belt might look nice. Again this is a trial error effect since you are the one wearing it and if you life the sash over the belt of belt over the sash it can be up to you =D

Quote:
3. The two green stripes on her skirt I wasn't sure what to do with. I thought to use iron-ons too, but the same problem about fabrics arose. Any ideas with that?
Fabric paint bro is your best friend when working with Homestuck cosplay I find to do those little add ons and such xD

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2012, 08:34 PM   #3
Kokoro
Classic.

Fabric paint sounds pretty cool. I don't know much about the stuff because I've seen some people use it before and it never really turned out too pretty, but I never really gave the stuff some thought before. Do you have any recommendations for brand and such? ^^

And I don't suppose you have any suggestions to modifying black pants to partially white (or vice versa)?

"Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving." -Dennis Waitley
Unread 01-02-2013, 08:57 AM   #4
Neelh
Toa of Psionics

You could put the Virgo sign on the end of the tie.

nokama.tumblr.com
Neelh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2013, 06:59 PM   #5
Kokoro
Classic.

That may be a good idea; I do plan to wear a tie, but I actually wanted to make it dark green... It might mix too well with the color of the sign. >.<

Unread 01-08-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
miss-ferrous
That one girl

If you're doing a tux, there's always the cummerbund as an option! haha

And for stenciling, I'd try and get yourself some freezer paper. Here's a tutorial on it.

Also, I have a pattern that might serve you well for the jacket! You could make the lapels out of black satin like a tux with the rest of it also black and then make the lower contrast part white. It might be cool to find a virgo lapel pin and incorporate it that way?
miss-ferrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2013, 08:39 PM   #7
miss-ferrous
That one girl

oh NO i just re-read the original post and realized you are doing a tuxedo vest not a full on tux sorry!!

Cummerbund might actually be a cool way to go then actually, since Kan is 100% class 100% of the time, it would make it kind of like [s]he was wearing a full tux and just kind of took the jacket off and is now kind of relaxing or whatever

although they're pretty unflattering hahhh
miss-ferrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 06:43 PM   #8
nonsensicality
batterwitc)(

Quote:
The first was that I wanted to incorporate the white part of her skirt into the pants somehow, and I thought to make a part of the pants white, but I wasn't quite sure how to go about doing that. I was thinking of dying white dress pants, but that felt like it could get kind of messy. Are there any other ways to get pants that are black and partially white?
For the pants, you could consider just getting a pair of black dress pants, and some white fabric in a similar material. Then cut off one of the legs of the pants at a slant, cut open the seam and use that as a pattern for the white fabric. You could sew that up, and sew it back onto the pants in place of the leg you cut off.
Like this except you should probably choose where/how to cut?: http://oi47.tinypic.com/v8eqfr.jpg

Quote:
There's a noticeable patch of the sign of Virgo on her shirt. I considered using iron on, but the vest I will have won't be cotton or a cotton blend, and as far as I've been told, iron-ons only really work well with the aforementioned fabrics. Are there any recommendations to how I can get that Virgo sign on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neelh View Post
You could put the Virgo sign on the end of the tie.
I agree with Neelh. Maybe if you used a white tie, so the green would contrast more. Also, the neckline of the dress is white, not dark green, so it would be more like the dress for the tie to be white, at least in my opinion.

And yeah, use fabric paint. It's useful.
Unread 06-04-2013, 04:24 PM   #9
urban_midnight

Fabric paint is definitely the way to go, it's really not that difficult!! I second the freezer paper method, it would probably be the easiest. I also really like nonsensicality's suggestions for the pants, and you could paint the green stripes onto the edge of the black part of the pant leg. Or alternatively, you could paint the stripes on the bottom edge of the vest?
urban_midnight is offline   Reply With Quote