Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Unread 01-02-2012, 01:06 AM   #1
Axel_Xx
Kindness in a can

Big teeth - Big mouth?

Hey. Im gearing up to make an Ivankov from One Piece cosplay. I'm trying to brainstorm ideas on how I would go about making such a large mouth/teeth.

I tried using some novelty toy vampire teeth, and also Shrek teeth. Complete discomfort and a waste of money!

Im wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to go about making me look like my teeth and mouth is this big. Even if I have to recreate the whole bottom face, as I plan on doing some latex work.

Any suggestions would help! Thanks!

Axel_Xx is online now   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2012, 12:02 PM   #2
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Normally, I'm the first guy to go to a prosthetics solution. But personally, for this effect, I think I'd draw a larger mouth & teeth onto my face. The character is clown-like, and painting a large mouth in place is a common clown makeup technique, so it would fit well.

I'd paint the face such that it looks as though the character's mouth is open (as depicted above) when your mouth is closed (lips covering your teeth).

And sure, you can still do the arrowhead chin in latex, or nose putty beneath all of that.
Unread 01-05-2012, 02:50 PM   #3
Axel_Xx
Kindness in a can

Quote:
Originally Posted by verdatum View Post
Normally, I'm the first guy to go to a prosthetics solution. But personally, for this effect, I think I'd draw a larger mouth & teeth onto my face. The character is clown-like, and painting a large mouth in place is a common clown makeup technique, so it would fit well.

I'd paint the face such that it looks as though the character's mouth is open (as depicted above) when your mouth is closed (lips covering your teeth).

And sure, you can still do the arrowhead chin in latex, or nose putty beneath all of that.
Thank you. Yeah, I was thinking about that too, however I wanted to give the teeth a real 3d effect, would painting teeth on above and below my lip make it seem realistic? I was also thinking about making a fake lip and some kind of plastic teeth to just overlap my lip so that all you can see is the inside of my mouth below the fake teeth.
Axel_Xx is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-05-2012, 03:56 PM   #4
verdatum
Extremely registered user

Here's a good example:
http://whatthecool.com/wp-content/up...g_burger02.jpg
No prosthetics involved. It's just a matter of technique and artistic ability.

Most prosthetic designs I can think of would be hard to blend well to the face. Anything that properly blended would either force you to keep your mouth closed the entire time, or need to be supremely flexible, like a pricey silicone prosthetic. (My Ryuk (Death Note) prosthetic works exactly like this. thick chin, fake lips, with resin-cast dentures tucked just behind the lips.) Noses and chins are easy to do prosthetics with because they move very little. Your cheeks and the area around your lips moves quite a bit.

If you really wanted, you could do it as a static halloween-type mask. http://monstermakers.com can set you up with everything you'd need to do that.