Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Other Costumes

Unread 10-12-2014, 05:42 PM   #1
PretzeLover

Doing Red Guard from Star Wars

http://img2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb2...conceptart.jpg

Doing that up there^ my question is how would I do the helmet? I've never done helmets before so I'm kind of confused on how I should do that..... ? Also how would I make the cloak? Any suggestions

Last edited by PretzeLover : 10-13-2014 at 12:52 AM.
PretzeLover is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-12-2014, 10:48 PM   #2
x0ne

If you have the resources and time, generate a plastic cast by carving out a large piece of plastic (or other semi-rigid material). Another somewhat expensive option is to make a paper mache version a bit larger than what you need, harden it to hell, fill it with something that will eventually freeze into a solid and then carve it out (like ballistics gel only not ballistics gel). Otherwise, shop online or straight up paper mache with supports. I honestly can't think of much else, but good luck!
Unread 10-13-2014, 02:41 AM   #3
Blue Leader
The Gundam Fanatic

A Royal Guard, eh? Interesting choice. How sturdy do you want this costume? Is it something you plan to wear once for Halloween or to a convention, or is this something you plan to join the 501st with? If it's the latter, I'd recommend just buying the helmet from one of the various helmet makers, which you can find more information about on the Sovereign Protectors forum (http://www.forcepike.net/). This wont be cheap, nor will this costume. The material will also be very expensive.

I know a couple Royal Guard costumers and they've both purchased the helmet, as well as whatever else they could get pre-made (which is pretty much everything but the soft goods). But this is for the 501st.

If you're just looking for this as a one-time-only costume you could probably whip up the helmet with cardboard, duct tape and spray paint. Use cheaper red material (and wine-colored material for the pants, shirt and gloves), and there you go. Rubies also made a Royal Guard helmet a few years ago but I have no idea what the price for one now is.
Unread 10-14-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
Ron Jr

Blue Leaders advice is solid. Go to the Sovereign Protectors and they will answer all your questions. This is a VERY hot costume (temp wise of course) and the helmet is very tight. I believe I read the Rubies helmet is approvable with some mods. Hope you decide to go with a 501st quality costume you will not regret it. SL-5928
Ron Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
PretzeLover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Leader View Post
A Royal Guard, eh? Interesting choice. How sturdy do you want this costume? Is it something you plan to wear once for Halloween or to a convention, or is this something you plan to join the 501st with? If it's the latter, I'd recommend just buying the helmet from one of the various helmet makers, which you can find more information about on the Sovereign Protectors forum (http://www.forcepike.net/). This wont be cheap, nor will this costume. The material will also be very expensive.

I know a couple Royal Guard costumers and they've both purchased the helmet, as well as whatever else they could get pre-made (which is pretty much everything but the soft goods). But this is for the 501st.

If you're just looking for this as a one-time-only costume you could probably whip up the helmet with cardboard, duct tape and spray paint. Use cheaper red material (and wine-colored material for the pants, shirt and gloves), and there you go. Rubies also made a Royal Guard helmet a few years ago but I have no idea what the price for one now is.

I tried the link, but I'm getting the 404 error :\
Unread 10-20-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
Ronan

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzeLover View Post
I tried the link, but I'm getting the 404 error :\
delete the end "/)" some reason its adding it to the link. Tes it all depends on your end result. 501st would have the highest standards and resources. If you want it just for you, you could look at a pepakura file. You could tne use the template to make it out of cardboard, fiberglass resin & bondo.