Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 01-02-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

late 1400's to early 1500's Italian gown help

I plan on making a beautiful italian style gown from this time period..and i can not find cloth for the life of me to use for this kind of dress.
I know basing my dress off the dresses they have in the showtime series the borgias might make some people un happy...I hear there are in accuracys.
BUT..I love this show to death due to my love of researching the borgia family.

I need help in finding fabrics that are heavy eight enough to make a sturdy dress..but still look like the fabric used in these dresses.

http://www.tv3.co.nz/Portals/0/AM/20...&maxheight=400
http://images4.fanpop.com/image/phot...5-1280-720.jpg
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-N...ZIA_BORGIA.jpg
http://www.aceshowbiz.com/images/new...r_lucrezia.jpg
http://www.tv3.co.nz/Portals/0/AM/20...&maxheight=400

I would prefer rich jewel tone fabrics..reds most likely but also a color like Guila Farnese's dress in the last picture would be wonderful.
but any fabric place that sells the correct material would be wonderful and i can do my color picking from there.

Last edited by Creative Genius : 01-02-2012 at 04:09 PM.
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-02-2012, 10:48 PM   #2
Shine-Chan
Happy Little Tv

Have you looked at home decor fabrics at your local fabric store? It is where a lot of rennies get thick brocades for garb and most of the fabrics are fine to wear. As far as colors go you could allays go with naturals and dye them. A thick silk would be expensive but lovely.
Shine-Chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:38 AM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

A lot of the pictures look like a dupioni or shantung silk. You can get them in polyesters that don't cost a fortune, but still will be about $10 a yard at the lowest. But those types of fabrics come in a wide range of colors. I do second looking at the home decor fabrics. I've used them in several pieces I've made in the past. They have weight to them, but really aren't that heavy to wear.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:13 AM   #4
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

I've looked at my upholstery fabric selection at joannes and hobby lobby..but they suck, real bad.
my high fashion fabric store is renovating and switching back to a store that only fixes sewing machines thus getting rid of their fabric. leaving me with the god awful fabric selection at the other stores. *cries self to sleep*
the only cute fabric hobby lobby had was a pink silky one that would have been perfect for my sisters lucrezia dress except for the fact that it had..like..dimples sewn into it. I dont know the term for it, so dont know how to say it without sounding stupid XP.

on another note..online I found a 4 ply silk crepe fabric that is said to be very heavy for silk...but it is 58 dollars a yard. and i simply can not afford such a fabric....but it looked beautiful.
Unread 01-03-2012, 02:06 AM   #5
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

silkbaron.com has a lot of nice silks for $15 a yard, though that can be too pricey for some people. The dupioni silk has little picks and things in it that give it that raw, natural look like in the bodice of the fourth picture you linked. I really think dupioni or shantung will be your best bet for mimicking the looks in those pictures.
Unread 01-03-2012, 12:43 PM   #6
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

ooooh...that website has beautiful stuff...
the 60 in dupioni machined silk looks perfect!
Unread 01-03-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Oh yeah, Silk Baron is a wonderful site with tons of gorgeous fabrics. And for silks, their prices are actually just amazing. They have so many colors to choose from too. You really can't go wrong with them.
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:50 PM   #8
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

thanks you so much for posting that site..I found a perfect fabric to make Guillia Farneses dress in the last picture i posted X3
Unread 01-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Glad I could help. I think I learned about that site quite a while back through these forums. I think it was Sarcasm-hime that listed it originally. Now I just share the beauty that is Silk Baron.