Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 9 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 10-17-2012, 08:40 PM   #91
soren7550
Overly proud New Yorker

Me with the standard Dovakinn!:
http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...62796942_n.jpg

I have one with me and Samara that looks a bit better, but this one seemed more appropriate for the thread.
"A philosopher will ask that if a tree were to fall in a forest, and no one is around to hear it, would it still make a sound. A smart person would ask why the presence of a person determines whether or not a tree makes a sound as it falls." - Soren Alenko

Cosplays for NYCC 2012!:
Commander Shepard (N7 Hoodie) - 95% Completed
Dovahkinn (Novice Robes) - 95% Completed
Ethan/Gold (HeartGold/SoulSilver) - 85% Completed
soren7550 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-15-2012, 09:56 PM   #92
InkRaven
Heh, that was fun!

Soren7550: Looking awesome! I'm planning on doing a Dovakiin cosplay myself at some point in the future, though I'm going to have a go at the Nightingale armor as well as a Dragon Priest mask. I'll probably have to save it for next year though since my current cosplay schedule is booked to the max :'D

Current Cosplays
Major Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Revolver Ocelot - Metal Gear Solid | RED fem!Spy - Team Fortress 2 | Footie Pajama Commander Shepard - Mass Effect
Cosplay in Progress
Leonardo Da Vinci - Assassins Creed 2 | Major Ocelot(Revamp) - Metal Gear Solid 3
Future Cosplays:
Braig - Kingdom Hearts | Sheik - LoZ (Brawl version)
Retired Cosplays
Colonel Mustard - Clue board game | The Boss - Metal Gear Solid 3 | Xigbar (Normal & Tweedle Dee) - Kingdom Hearts
InkRaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-18-2012, 06:14 PM   #93
Archie Griffs

So I'm planning on making an ebony armor set (from Skyrim), and I have a ton of questions, most not really regarding the construction and materials for it, but a few conflicts I might have:

First, I'm planning on making props other than the ebony armor itself, and one of the ideas I've been toying with is making the Umbra sword. I'm not a huge fan on any of the ebony weapons, except for the bow, and maybe the mace, so I thought Umbra, a sword I loved in both Morrowind and Oblivion. I've also thought about excluding the shield in favor of dual wielding. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to put all that work into a shield that is going to be hard to carry around. I'm also planning on making an ebony bow + quiver, those two are must haves, more important than the weapon/shield in my opinion (I have a year to make all this). So with all that background info...
1. Would it be a terrible idea to go about making an ebony armor set but not have the weapons to complete it?
2. Should I go dual wield and make another weapon, or go with the ebony shield?
3. If I go for the shield and not dual wielding, where will I put it? I'm having a quiver + bow on top of it, so my back may or may not be completely used up.
4. If I go dual wield, my first sword will be Umbra, will any other sword look horrible with it? Should I just drop the Umbra idea all together? Or maybe make both a Morrowind version of Umbra + an Oblivion version?
5. Any ideas on the boots? I can post a link to a picture of them, I've got some pretty good screenshots lined up for all the things I'll be using, but I'm mostly concerned about the bottom of the boots, maybe wear sandals, and work with that as my base/bottom to build the boots?

For the ebony armor, I'm planning on using foam, and have done extensive research, and that's the method I want to use. I'll probably do the same for the weapons, thought the bow and the quiver might be excluded from that. I have a basic idea on the materials needed, but not where I'll get them, I'm kind of lazy so I'd rather order it all online, but I'm not sure if that's entirely possible, but I'll be researching more and more in the passing days.

Thanks for your time, sorry for the wall of text, and comments, ideas, or feedback is greatly appreciated, hope to be keeping you updated on this huge project of mine .
Archie Griffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-20-2012, 10:16 AM   #94
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

I feel so out of the loop! I finally have some progress on my assassin armor from Skyrim

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3329760/
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3329073/

I plan to use faux stretch suede for the black and pig suede for the red. The next step will be to draft the patterns for the red apliques and as soon as I can save some money up, I will purchase the final materials

Archie: Your project sounds ambitious and awesome. 1, I think one of the fun things about this game series is getting to mix/match armor and weapons. I don't think anyone will care if you have ebony armor and non-ebony weapons. 2,3,4, you're thinking too much. I would prioritize and see what you can get done with the time any money you have (mainly time. A year goes by super fast and deadlines can sneak up on you) I would start with bow/arrows/and a single sword. 5, whatever they look like, I would start with boots as a base, rather than sandals; that's just my opinion though. Post a picture and maybe the group can help you out.

PS I love everyone's pictures! I scrolled through the whole thread and looked at every link I could.
Xavietta is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 12:06 PM   #95
anime_grl

so does anyone have and tips on making Aela's armor? i don't have a set time to do this one but i just need an idea of where to start ^-^
anime_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:45 PM   #96
Sylphetamine
Commander Fantasy

So I've decided on going as a Thalmor Justiciar to PAXEast and AnimeBoston.

Mostly because I haven't seen anyone actually complete this costume before.

However I've discovered that there are actually two versions of the Uniforms for male and female characters, and the only piece that doesn't seem to have any differences is the boots, and since I like the male versions better, I'm going to detail and design them as if I'm going as the male version. The biggest problem from the start was the boots and this wonky-ass setup at the shoulders that I mapped out at least three different times and concluded it works like so:
http://gyazo.com/606c4c6efb3b660e5069f15377f11580
And that's how I learned what an ailette is.

I already have the shirt done save for embroidering it. Ignore the bunny pants, I like to craft in comfort.
http://24.media.tumblr.com/6f72b1f9c...f5xho1_500.jpg

and I'm currently working on the embossing for the sleeves of the ailette
http://24.media.tumblr.com/377b6bbb8...f5xho1_500.jpg

Being a rather tiny 5'6 girl I'm considering making the boots heeled so that I don't look so short but the first thing I have to do is figure out how to make them. So the question here is does anyone have any good tutorials on how to making armored boot covers?

I'm already buying sintra to make an elven dagger out of and I'm considering doing the same for the armor plates themselves and drawing the details on with gold 3d craft paint.
Unread 02-07-2013, 01:55 PM   #97
Sylphetamine
Commander Fantasy

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime_grl View Post
so does anyone have and tips on making Aela's armor? i don't have a set time to do this one but i just need an idea of where to start ^-^
http://lyddidesign.com/blog/aela-the-huntress-costume/

I found this a while back and it's incredibly thorough with its documentation and imagery.
Unread 02-07-2013, 02:13 PM   #98
anime_grl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphetamine View Post
http://lyddidesign.com/blog/aela-the-huntress-costume/

I found this a while back and it's incredibly thorough with its documentation and imagery.
cool thanks! i'll be sure to bookmark that page and use it for my costume! it seems so detailed and very helpful!
anime_grl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-08-2013, 05:51 PM   #99
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylphetamine View Post
And that's how I learned what an ailette is.
And now I know what an ailette is Anyway, I couldn't find anything for armored boot covers, but I found a couple tutorials for regular boot covers:

http://www.strangelandcostumes.com/tips-boot.html
http://sarcasm-hime.net/bootcovers-tutorial.html
http://www.cosplaytutorial.com/list.php#bootscovers

Hopefully those will help. I've made armored boots before for my Leliana (Dragon Age) cosplay, but I don't even know where to begin explaining how I did that. It melted my brain with its lack of logic.

I've made a little progress on my Dark Brotherhood armor, mainly just drafting patterns for the red apliques:

https://www.facebook.com/Xavietta?re...type=1&theater

I ordered the faux suede, so hopefully I can get some work done on the final suit soon
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:03 PM   #100
kak815

HI! Totally new here and I really really want to start a Dark Brotherhood costume I'm just not sure where to start :/ any help?
kak815 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-25-2013, 05:05 PM   #101
kak815

Oh, the Shrouded Armor to be specific sorry x)
Unread 04-15-2013, 05:39 PM   #102
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak815 View Post
HI! Totally new here and I really really want to start a Dark Brotherhood costume I'm just not sure where to start :/ any help?
Are you doing the standard shrouded armor or the mage robes? I'm currently working on the standard armor and I'm about 90% done with the base suit. If you want to start from scratch like I did, I would get a basic bodysuit pattern and go from there with the extra seams (if you want to do those) and the red apliques.

Personally, I'm using a stretch faux suede for the black and red pig suede for the apliques. Even if you don't want the suit tight fitting, I'd recomend the stretch suede, if that's the texture you want. It's super comfy.

You could also buy a premaid catsuit (again if you want it tight fitting) or pants and a shirt, then add the details yourself. There are a ton of options on eBay.

Here are the aplique patterns I made just to give you an idea of the layout:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

I hope this helps!
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:57 PM   #103
kak815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
Are you doing the standard shrouded armor or the mage robes? I'm currently working on the standard armor and I'm about 90% done with the base suit. If you want to start from scratch like I did, I would get a basic bodysuit pattern and go from there with the extra seams (if you want to do those) and the red apliques.

Personally, I'm using a stretch faux suede for the black and red pig suede for the apliques. Even if you don't want the suit tight fitting, I'd recomend the stretch suede, if that's the texture you want. It's super comfy.

You could also buy a premaid catsuit (again if you want it tight fitting) or pants and a shirt, then add the details yourself. There are a ton of options on eBay.

Here are the aplique patterns I made just to give you an idea of the layout:

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

I hope this helps!
Yes the standard armor not the robes. Thank you! It helps a lot. Just one other thing though... its such a tight suit and I'm assuming the stretch suede isn't going to be stretchy enough to be able to just pull off lol, where do you suggest putting probably a zipper or something to that effect? I was thinking one side under my arm but I'm worried it would mess up the design (this is my first skin tight project)?
Unread 04-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #104
Xavietta
A.K.A St. Kitten

Quote:
Originally Posted by kak815 View Post
Yes the standard armor not the robes. Thank you! It helps a lot. Just one other thing though... its such a tight suit and I'm assuming the stretch suede isn't going to be stretchy enough to be able to just pull off lol, where do you suggest putting probably a zipper or something to that effect? I was thinking one side under my arm but I'm worried it would mess up the design (this is my first skin tight project)?
No problem! I put my zipper down the front. If you look at the reference pictures it almost looks like there's a seam there, so I thought I'd use that to my advantage. I used an invisible zipper, and I'm going to use the center front aplique to cover it. I'm going to (somehow) make it detachable. Haven't really figured that part out yet, so I have to experiment a little. I will post when I finish that part.

You could probably do the same thing on the back, with the seam running down the center and use the back apliques to cover it. OR you could make the suit in 2 pieces, using the brown belt to cover the part where the top and pants meet.
Unread 04-19-2013, 03:36 PM   #105
kak815

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavietta View Post
No problem! I put my zipper down the front. If you look at the reference pictures it almost looks like there's a seam there, so I thought I'd use that to my advantage. I used an invisible zipper, and I'm going to use the center front aplique to cover it. I'm going to (somehow) make it detachable. Haven't really figured that part out yet, so I have to experiment a little. I will post when I finish that part.

You could probably do the same thing on the back, with the seam running down the center and use the back apliques to cover it. OR you could make the suit in 2 pieces, using the brown belt to cover the part where the top and pants meet.
Oh that's such a good idea! I think I will do the zipper. I was thinking about how to make the front and back piece detachable too because I think I do want to go with the two piece idea, only thing is I want them to somehow attach when I put them on and I was thinking snaps maybe? Sewn onto the apliques to act as the studs on the leather like they have on the armor. Only thing is its gonna be a bit hard to find the right size... I think I heard of someone even using brads as the studs.