Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Katsucon

Unread 12-29-2003, 12:14 PM   #1
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Under 18? (new age policy)

Is everyone aware of the new policy Katsucon has on people under 18?

From Katsucon.com:

"Effective immediately, any attendee aged 17 or younger must have permission from a parent or guardian to attend any event sponsored by Katsucon Entertainment, Inc.

The permission form, to be signed and presented at registration or mailed with a pre-registration form, is available on the Registration page."

If you're under 18, make sure you're ready for that. And tell your friends. We wouldn't want droves of people being turned away like at Nekocon. Well, considering the crowds last year, maybe we would.
Darxim is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-29-2003, 12:41 PM   #2
UnwantedKikyo
Gekkoh

I mailed mine in ^_^ sux to be under 18 -_- *sighs*
-Twilight Sparkle
Come see me at the Head Kandi booth!
UnwantedKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-29-2003, 02:10 PM   #3
DigitalCactus
Feels good man.

heh yeah us older folk needn't worry but it's good to see that a convention is taking precautions and showing some maturity.
DigitalCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 10:13 AM   #4
Ryosuke

Are the age restrictions only for over night? My friend and I are 15 and wouldn't be staying over, but could we still be unaccompanied during the day after our parents drop us off? They have given us permission.
Ryosuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:35 PM   #5
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

You have to get the permission form signed by your parents in order to register. The convention doesn't have anything to do with your lodging arrangements, so whether or not you're staying overnight is irrelevant. Go over to the Katsucon website, go to registration, and read up on it there. They won't let you register without it.

I don't know the details, but being 25, I don't have to. I just wanted to make sure everyone who does have to knows about it.
Unread 12-31-2003, 12:38 PM   #6
Sorahana
...That was a joke

We sent my pre-reg form and my permisson slip to them the other day wheeee! I'm so excited lol XD.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 01:11 PM   #7
daguru
(SebastiAn Remix)

wait a sec. does the above statement mean we need to get a permission slip and carry it around ALL WEEKEND showing it to gophers n' staff wherever we go?
daguru is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:32 PM   #8
UnwantedKikyo
Gekkoh

That would suck! but luckly the person im rooming with and hanging with is 22 so shes my guardian!!! haha but shes my friend. so yup yup!!! *glomps tora*
-Twilight Sparkle
Come see me at the Head Kandi booth!
UnwantedKikyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:44 PM   #9
StormTroop#12
Niko!!!!!

Well I'm glad I turn 18 on Feb 4th.
StormTroop#12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 02:46 PM   #10
Sorahana
...That was a joke

I read on the site that if you're under 16 you have to be accompanied by an adult while at the con but hey! I'm 16 so I don't need an adult with me *evil giggle*. I just needed to get the permission form signed and it along with my pre-reg is on its way to them ^_^.
Panda Punch: Cosplay Photography
Sorahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:10 PM   #11
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by daguru
wait a sec. does the above statement mean we need to get a permission slip and carry it around ALL WEEKEND showing it to gophers n' staff wherever we go?
No, you just need it to get your badge. Once you've got your badge, it's pretty obvious that it's been checked. Of course, this does mean you can't get a badge without the permission form.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCAmanda
I read on the site that if you're under 16 you have to be accompanied by an adult while at the con
I didn't see that. Where'd you see it?

Last edited by Darxim : 12-31-2003 at 03:14 PM.
Unread 12-31-2003, 03:24 PM   #12
Aer
rawr

http://katsucon.com/Katsu10/general_rules.php

"Unaccompanied Minors
All children under the age of 16 must be accompanied by an adult. Any childunder the age of 16 found at the convention without an adult present will beconsidered "Abandoned" and will be turned over to the proper authorities."

I have two people coming with me who are just under 16, being 16 myself, would it be allowed for them to walk around with me? In other words, would someone 16 and over be considered an "adult" to them? =/
Aer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 04:20 PM   #13
Stueypark
You can't see me!

Legally an adult is 18 or over.

Any abonndonned children will become the property of Katsucon
Stueypark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2003, 05:34 PM   #14
Darxim
Loafer Extraordinaire

Well, if you're under 16, and not with a parent, just don't act the part, and they probably won't notice. Also, make an effort to hang out with your older friends, so it doesn't look like you're by yourself. Don't be anywhere by yourself.

Of course, when you show up at registration without a parent, I guess they might make an issue out of it. Maybe if you throw a bunch of numbers and random conversation at the person taking your registration, they won't notice you're under 16. Last ditch effort.

Katsucon may be adopting the policy for some legal reason, but I think the new policy may also carry the benefits of raising the maturity level of the convention as a whole. Yeah, I'm thinking something specific, but I can't figure out how to accurately put it into words.
Unread 01-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #15
Stueypark
You can't see me!

I think it may also have to do with the fact minors can't legally enter into a contract (in this case admission) so anything that happens ends up with Katsucon liable, not the attendee and obviously that's not good for Katsu.

I wouldn't be surprised if katsucon heard from some really ticked parents after their "darling little children" got snowed in.
Stueypark is offline   Reply With Quote